Skip to content

iPad version modding?

qbahqbah Member Posts: 25
Hey all. Anyone knows how/if it's possible to mod the iPad version? I'm just interested in an XP cap remover.

Thanks!

Comments

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Unfortunately, modding for the iPad version is not currently possible.
  • qbahqbah Member Posts: 25
    Thanks! Any idea if that's something that will come soon-ish or I might as well give up?
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Modding for the iPad in general is pretty difficult due to Apple's restrictive content policies, so I would probably give up on it for the time being. If you're keen on modding, try the PC or Mac versions :)
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    If I were you I'll give up the hope of modding the Ipad version. If you want mods, PC / Mac is the way to go =)
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    If the folder structure is identical and the device is jailbroken (so that the folder can be modified), it may be possible...
    My iPad is running latest iOS, so no JB is possible.

I already own the games on PC (original CDs from 1998 and 2000, also GoG versions) - I modded those extensively already. I'm only interested in modding the iPad version as it's the only vanilla version for me right now.

Hopefully we'll hear something from the devs :-)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I really see no way to do it without jailbreaking...
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    mlnevese said:

which would be illegal, therefore not happening at all =/
    mlnevese said:

I was thinking that perhaps placing the override folder in the documents area (accessible via iTunes even without syncing) could allow that? The game would need to "know" to look in there, but simple junctions could allow that (no idea if they're available in the iOS file system though...)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The problem with override folder is that if two or more mods had to modify the same file, they would be automatically incompatible. That's one of the reasons Weidu allowed mods to become so complex as it handled all modifications and made it possible to easily install/uninstall a mod without being destructive in the proccess.

For instance if you want to install NPC Project and BP Series in the game Weidu will allow both to add/remove strings from dialog.tlk so that installing one mod does not destroy the changes the other mod did. If we only had override, someone would have to create a dialog.tlk file compatible with both mods to be copied to override. This actually used to happen before weidu was created.

So although I believe it's possible to create the override folder option in the iPad version, it would be very limited.
    mlnevese said:

The problem with override folder is that if two or more mods had to modify the same file, they would be automatically incompatible. That's one of the reasons Weidu allowed mods to become so complex as it handled all modifications and made it possible to easily install/uninstall a mod without being destructive in the proccess.

For instance if you want to install NPC Project and BP Series in the game Weidu will allow both to add/remove strings from dialog.tlk so that installing one mod does not destroy the changes the other mod did. If we only had override, someone would have to create a dialog.tlk file compatible with both mods to be copied to override. This actually used to happen before weidu was created.

So although I believe it's possible to create the override folder option in the iPad version, it would be very limited.

Makes sense. I never gave much thought why Weidu worked so great. Thanks for explaining! :)

I guess we're SOL then :(
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    edited December 2012
    For PC, placing override and language folders under Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder has no effect. I expect similar behaviour for iPad version and if that's the case, no jailbreak, no modding.
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    Makes me wonder why people even bother with apple tablet/phones. Sure they work great blah blah blah you can talk to it blah blah. But if I can't even create a folder on the damn thing then what's the point?

I guess I'm just too much of a tinkerer. Don't understand why someone would buy something so restrictive and then go through great lengths to make it unrestricted as well.

Not trying to start some anti Apple hate campaign and derail the thread, it's just something I had on my mind. I wonder if modding will work on Android the same as it does on PC. That will be the real test for making it work on ipad.
  • MikkelMikkel Member Posts: 86
    neoesprit said:

mlnevese said:

which would be illegal, therefore not happening at all =/
    Jailbreaking isn't illegal (though I'm sure Apple would like you to think so ;)), but other than that you're right: It's not happening.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    Does it mean that Moding in android has high possibility?
    darrenkuo said:

Does it mean that Moding in android has high possibility?

I would say it's certainly more likely than for iPad, but that's not the same as "high possibility" - PC is, and probably always will be, the premier platform for moddable content.
  • tommytommy Member Posts: 401
    but the way of modding should be eveywhere the same. So there is no reason why mods for PC shouldnt work on android and co
  • KalbarKalbar Member Posts: 6
    Is there any reason why the iPad version can't access the CLUA Console? Or can you and I've totally missed that?

It would seem to me that CLUA Console support for the iPad would be trivial.
  • WarHawkeWarHawke Member Posts: 3
    Mikkel said:

Jailbreaking isn't illegal (though I'm sure Apple would like you to think so ;)), but other than that you're right: It's not happening.

Sorry Mikkel, but right now it is illegal for a tablet...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/27/jailbreaking-tablets-illegal_n_2024754.html
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    Luckily its a law like smoking pot in California. Sure its breaking a federal law, but nobody gives a shit.
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    To be honest, this is the reason I'm not buying BGEE. Really only want it for the iPad, and really only want it with increased dialogue, which Beamdog couldn't provide with the game and mods can't get into the game.
    WarHawke said:

Mikkel said:

Sorry Mikkel, but right now it is illegal for a tablet...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/27/jailbreaking-tablets-illegal_n_2024754.html
    Huh, whaddaya know.

Well, I'm never going to bother buying a device in need of jailbreaking for what I consider basic access anyway, so it doesn't change anything for me, though that's yet another reason (as if any were needed, IMO) not to purchase an Apple device, particularly if you want control of your gadgets yourself.