Skip to content

Dwarf Vs. Half-Orc for Fighter/Cleric

In your opinion are the saving throws the dwarf gets better than the half-orc stat advantage (+1 str and +1 dex over the dwarf)?

From both the perspective of just BG1, and also all the way through ToB.

Comments

• paradigmofheavenparadigmofheaven Member Posts: 12
    I think the stat advantage for the Half-Orc make him a real beast, and the tomes help to further that advantage.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited December 2012
    I would choose dwarf, for a single reason if u are talking about BG 2 as well. Crom faeyr! not only is a dwarf wielding it epic (it's a dwarven artifact), but the horc's strength advantage is nullified by it since it sets your strength to 25.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    also horcs smell slightly worse than dwarves
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    I would go wit Dwarf because of the shorty saves :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Dwarf. The Saving Throws simply cannot be overlooked. The Tomes, Draw Upon Holy Might and other such abilities/items make the stat advantage a lot less attractive in the long run ... especially since saving throws are not easy to improve. -5 all around for 18 Con or greater? Yes, please.
  • cory5694cory5694 Member Posts: 23
    Have you seen the hobbit yet? clearly dwarves are awesome :p
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Dwarf. By level cap (BG1), you're pretty much immune to any spell that allows a save except vs polymorph (which is ridiculously rare in the first place), and by that point the half-orc only has a +1 damage, +100 weight advantage.
  • HunterOfBountyHunterOfBounty Member Posts: 38
    I would take Dwarf for a full trilogy run, but half-orc for BG1. The strength tome arrives fairly late in the game, and buffing spells have long casting times and short durations. The strength bonus can be a big deal until that point. Saving throws against the really dangerous effects are best dealt with using immunity items and spells. However, shorty bonuses might save you once in a while if you're not careful. The half-orc strength bonus quickly fades away into obscurity if you intend to play all the way through ToB. In my opinion you should play as the one whose avatar you want to watch on screen. Race bonuses are not that important in this case.
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    Dwarf. The saves advantage far outweighs one point in str and dex.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    Yep, as above. Dwarves get the saving throw bonus - Physical stats aren't as important as you'd think with /clerics, their spells are very keyed towards bosting their physical stats. In later stages you can cast DUHM so many times per day & it'll take you to 25 so a Half-Orc starting with 19 in str isn't stagging. So they'll both be able to dish out a huge amount of damage but the Dwarf has much more staying power.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    edited December 2012
    Unfortunately the clip is rotated 90 degrees, but this may answer your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAlndv9_zQc
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Dwarf, by a long way, because of the save bonuses
  • GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    Dwarfs are awesome :>
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    When I played BG a long time ago I didn't pay much attention to saving throws and always played as a human.

Put I've got a dwarf Fighter/Cleric level 6/6 with 20 con and he almost always saves. It's awesome.

Thanks for the advice.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Personally, I prefer Half-Orcs from a roleplaying perspective any day of the week. And my green-skinned favourites have also access to the Cleric/Thief - an awesome multi-class, unplayable by Dwarves. Not to mention female Half-Orcs with their chiseled muscles are way sexier than the adorable bearded dwarven ladies.

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    cleric/thieves are a nice class
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    I had already just run through as a C/T half orc so I was partial to the half orc starting with 19 str, he was killing things in one shot at the first with a sling, but I'm glad I tried out dwarf for F/C.

@Kamigoroshi
    I'm not sure that there are any winners in a beauty contest between dwarf and half orc females... only losers.