Skip to content

Scar blinking in and out of existence

RemorhazRemorhaz Member Posts: 26
edited January 2013 in Fixed
SPOILER FOR CHAPTER 5...

When I cleared out the Iron Throne building and was told to report back to Scar, he appeared to be blinking in and out of existence. I cannot speak to him "... has nothing to say to you," and neither can I speak to anyone inside the Flaming Fist building. Has anyone else noticed this?

Obviously I cannot continue to chapter 6 without this being resolved.

Even when loading an earlier save (from before I left the Iron Throne building), the same thing happens. I presently have no mind to try and get through the entire Iron Throne building again from an even earlier save to see if Scar blinks afterwards...
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• RemorhazRemorhaz Member Posts: 26
    Bump. Since I cannot continue playing while this bug is in effect unless I reload an earlier save and do sidequests until this is fixed, I would really like some feedback on this. Is there anyone else who has experienced this problem?
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    It looks like this will happen if you talk to Duke Eltan before you finish Scar's quests. It definitely needs fixing, but you should be able to talk to Duke Eltan to progress to chapter 6. Are you not able to talk to Eltan on the 2nd floor?
    Ok - now I'm seeing the complication. Do you have debug mode turned on? See if the following gets you out of trouble:
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("SHITNUTS","GLOBAL",0)
    (looks like someone was having a bad day...)
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    @Remorhaz Can you upload that save file? I think I see the issue that Cerevant is talking about but I'd rather have a save file to rest than try to replicate it myself. Cheers.
    Actually, that variable won't cause the blink because of ScarMission. Brain not working today.

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("ScarKilled","GLOBAL",1)
    Will let you talk to Eltan. I'll keep looking at the Scar scripts - a saved game would be helpful.
    edited December 2012
    The SetGlobal("SHITNUTS","GLOBAL",0) stuff is redundant and should be removed. The Duke does not appear unles you request an invitation to meet him when talking to Scar, at which stage you can no longer do Scar's quests and you have refused them. So other than the cutscene the Duke and Scar are never in the game world at the same time. So I would need to see the save to understand what is going on.
    edited December 2012
    @Balquo @Cerevant, Thanks for replying. As it turns out I couldn't find Duke Eltan before, at least not without Scar teleporting me there. I now found the stairway in the corner and could speak to him to get to chapter 6. This bypassed the Scar situation. I have, however, attached my save file so Overhaul can investigate the issue.
    Update: I noticed that after speaking to Eltan and then travelling back to BG from Candlekeep, Scar is still blinking.
    On a side note, when I handed in the sewer quest to Scar (after killing the Ogre Mage) I didn't get any reward; instead he said he'd find someone else for the task. (Killing the Ogre Mage is sufficient to complete the quest, right?) May or may not be related. There seem to be some Scar-related issues, at least.
  • MeizMeiz Member Posts: 18
    I had the same two problems. Blinking + not getting reward from sewer quest.
    Ok, now that I'm seeing he's outside (AR1100), it is indeed our friend SHITNUTS causing the problem.

We'll get that bug submitted for a fix.

In the short term, if you have a Blinky Scar, you can do the following:
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("SHITNUTS","GLOBAL",0) - this should stop his blinking
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("ScarMission","GLOBAL",1) - this will start the Scar quests over. You can try different values (2, 3, 4, etc) to try to find your place in the story.
    Balquo
    I'll fix it up when I get home.
    @Cerevant SHITNUTS? lol. Some n00b help please: how/where do I type CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("SHITNUTS","GLOBAL",0)?
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Just before someone gets the wrong idea, that variable existed in vanilla bg1 :D
    Global("MetScar","GLOBAL",1) in ar1100.bcs was the problem. On a continuous loop. Setting it to another number will remove him from the game. I'll submit a fix.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Thanks @Balquo, I've committed the fix.
    Thanks @Cerevant