Skip to content

Dorn Il-Khan

smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
Related to Gromnir Il-Khan? Discuss.. Too unusual to be a coincidence I think. Well there's a Neera forum so here's a Dorn forum for everyone's favorite half-orc.

Comments

• RingoRingo Member Posts: 39
    Blackguard? Posers, the lot of them. He probably fights super well, being a half-orc, but that besides the point.

On the pro-side though:
    He's not trying do a Drizzt and redeem his evil racial heritage.
    Yeah, it is too unuasual to be a coincidence.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited July 2012
    I am guessing twins. Or maybe the same tribe? I can't remember how Orc surnames are even used in Forgotten Realms...
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Here's hoping for some special dialogue in BG2: EE!
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited July 2012
    Communard said:

I am guessing twins. Or maybe the same tribe? I can't remember how Orc surnames are even used in Forgotten Realms...

No way twins. Gromnir is a bhaalspawn. This guy's (Dorn) bio talks about how his human mother was killed and so his dad must be orcish (for the half orc part). Cousins?

Communard said:

No way twins. Gromnir is a bhaalspawn. This guy's (Dorn) bio talks about how his human mother was killed and so his dad must be orcish (for the half orc part). Cousins?

D'oh, for some reason I was assuming that Dorn had to be a bhaalspawn. I would say half-brother is quite likely then.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    We've never had experience with Bhaalspawn twins before, have we? There's nothing in canon to say that both come out tainted. Maybe all the murder gets drawn in by one twin.
    Pretty interesting idea, Aranneas. Good fuel for a Throne of Bhaal quest for Dorn. He might ask the PC to help him get some Bhaal essence of his own!

Also, as I mentioned in the Neera thread, I do wish Dorn had been written as a woman instead, to break the trend of elf-blooded spellcasters being the only romances in BG2.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited July 2012
    Maybe Il-Khan is a common half-orcish surname? ;-P I mean, has it ever struck you as odd that in fantasy setting you hardly ever hear the same name or sunrname twice? Real life is packed full of namesakes so why shouldn't fantasy games be, too?
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    @Schneidend I think it is very unlikely, that Dorn would get any Bhaal essence, simply by sucking it out of Gromnir.
    But his name might be a huge spoiler or coincidence. If he is a relative of Gromnir, maybe brother or half-brother, he might be a Bhaalspawn and thus another competitor for the throne of Bhaal. He is evil, so I guess in that case he wouldn't step down from this claim.
    And hands down, nobody beats Sarevok in terms of being a badass Bhaalspawn.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited July 2012
    I think his inclusion indicates the intent to provide more options for evil character and parties.
    Im ok with this.
    Who says he has to suck it out of Gromnir? Though, granted, that's the most obvious source. Still, stranger things have happened. Irenicus sucked out some Bhaal essence with a ritual, and he wasn't in any way related to Bhaal or a Bhaalspawn.
    Being related to Bhaal means being Bhaalspawn. And Irenicus performed a very complex ritual. So either Dorn is a Bhaalspawn too, which is very unlikely I might add, or he is a half brother to Gromnir or not related to Bhaal and Gromnir in any way. I stick with him being half brother of Gromnir, thus no essence for him.
    I think the metaphorical tether of a blood relation might allow a Blackguard to steal the essence of a Bhaalspawn with the proper rites or magical items. This is a fantasy setting where Irenicus invades your dreams and a giant metal d20 covered in faces can magically bind undead sorcerers, after all.
    Considering I will play an evil character, I will totally gut Dorn if he tries to stand in my way. There is only one place as my right hand, and it's already taken by Sarevok.
    Ok now in all seriousness: If he tries to steal the essence from someone, the Bhaalspawn must still be alive for the ritual, and I don't think Gromnir will be taken prisoner so easily. And the PC wouln'd stand idle if he/she sees another person meddling with bhaalspawn affairs.
    He could possibly snatch the essence from a recently deceased Gromnir, capturing it before it returns to the Abyss.

As for CHARNAME, well, how he/she reacts is part of the fun!
    If the PC is doing the killing, he absorbs the essence on the spot, doesn't he?
    I don't think the PC ever absorbs any Bhaalspawn essence. It generally goes back to the Throne in the Abyss.
    The Bhaal essence collects in the abyss, so if anything Mellissan would be enjoying the essence if Dorn didn't snatch it in some way...
    z.

good thing I'm about to start another playthrough to refresh my memory :D
    This is not highlander, you are not absorbing any essence, if the essence holder is killed the essence returns to the throne, there is no essence sucking. Irenicus was only able to get your soul and not your essence.
    geselle said:

This is not highlander, you are not absorbing any essence, if the essence holder is killed the essence returns to the throne, there is no essence sucking. Irenicus was only able to get your soul and not your essence.

Baldur's Gate 2: The Quickening
    Again, Blackguard, in a high-fantasy setting. If a divinely empowered individual figuring out some trick to steal divine essence sounds far-fetched, we must not have played the same game. Remember this game breaks the fourth wall, has magical pairs of underwear, and is based on a tabletop game where Giant Space Hamsters are an ACTUAL CREATURE you can fight.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525

Giant Space Hamsters are an ACTUAL CREATURE you can fight.

Or tame. And cuddle, occasionally.
    If you tame and cuddle them, how will you cut the equipment of the previous adventurers they've swallowed out of their gargantuan bellies? Think of the loot!
  • AlparonAlparon Member Posts: 58
    He looks like Juggernaut from the X-Men comics. New characters always add new spice to the story, so long as they are not overpowered methinks :)

On the other hand, there should definitely be a connection between Gromnir and Dorn. However it would be a shame if you cannot carry your team from BG1 to BG2. While the starting BG2 group (Immy, Jaheira, Minsc&Boo) is decent enough, an evil BG1 character would not travel with them...

So in this respect if we can carry our evil npcs (Shar Teel, Xzar, Monty) or neutrals (Branwen) over to BG2 that would be sweet.

And these NPCs too, they should definitely be in the next game. I always thought that the game needed a Half-Orc Fighter NPC and a Monk NPC.

So good work developers :)
  • ShYarivShYariv Member Posts: 119
    edited July 2012
    Dorn Il-Khan... Any relation to Gromnir Il-Khan?
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    Can't be a coincidence.... I wonder what Grommy would say to this. heheh, ha! good fun!
    This thread... Any relation to the other thread with the same title?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited July 2012
    Threads have been merged
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Dorn might very well be the most interesting and refreshing character. I'm looking forward to him, especially as I have never played an evil party (hmm, Xzar & Monty, Korgan, Viconia and Edwin... well, maybe Dorn instead of Korgan then).