Skip to content

Make BG2EE ASAP i beg you!

vekkthvekkth Member Posts: 25
Seriously. Last time i installed BG2 it was about 9 years ago. It was fine, great times. I did install BGT a couple years ago too, but thats another story. So, here i am, finished BGEE, started a solo Blade, made him lvl 8 at the end of act 2, and got a bit bored. At this moment, I gave a wild thought to occupy my mind - if those guys who are keep telling me that BG2 with mods looks even superior to BGEE, are, in fact, right?
Well, lets go to GOG, buy a copy of BG2, get FixPack and TweakPack from mirror download sites since Gibberlings site is down, run config utility aaaaand
bam!
This is horrific! The interface, it is 800*600 pixels! Who teh feck am i suppose to play this? I am serious! I couldnt force myself to play even a little, i was mortified. I dont mind spending 10 bucks on a great game, and an hour to install all the mods (because i've read all the readme files to understand what do i actually change). but in the end it was a waste of effort.

I know, someone already posted this before me, but i just couldnt resist - really, guys from Overhaul games, you did a really really good job. You made me waiting for next part of the game. Please hurry! I might make some good folks happier.
Post edited by AndreaColombo on

Comments

• LennisLennis Member Posts: 34
    I'm pretty sure they're working on it. ;) Also, remember that a rushed game is a buggy game.
  • You can actualy play on higher resolutions, but the downside is that everything becomes smaller
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    edited December 2012
    Thread title edited.

In the future, you are kindly asked to avoid blasphemy on these boards.

Thanks.
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    I have a feeling that asking won't make it happen sooner.
  • EilerEiler Member Posts: 93
    Wasn't much of a downside when i moved to a much larger screen.

You can actualy play on higher resolutions, but the downside is that everything becomes smaller

• AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    I would pay 1k to have BG2EE on my plate tomorrow, with all the mods :D
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Great, people asking for a ship rush is EXACTLY what I would like for BG2:EE... NOT.
    There are still huge bugs to fix, DLCs (I hope) to try, multyplayer system to implement properly, blablabla.
    Another half-ready version? Thanks, but no thanks.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    See, what you want to do is go to the junk yard and procure yourself an old fashioned CRT monitor. .... ;)
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Install WIdescreenmod and I hope they don't rush the EE of BG2 so that the start will be smother than this time.
    Widescreen mod is pretty decent if you play on a PC with a 23" + monitor. I tried playing the modded trilogy on my laptop though (foreign country, no access to PC anymore), and the small text is killing me. And yes, i know there is a mod that increase font size, but it increases it to ridiculous sizes, wish there was something inbetween.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Perfection can never be rushed.

So ends the lesson for today.
  • AmeraAmera Member Posts: 29
    I've been playing modded BG2 the last few days, and after firing up BGEE again the graphical difference is pretty amazing (even with widescreen BG2 and all the fixin's).

I just hope they make it compatible with SCS2 and such. :(
  • MaiNoKenMaiNoKen Member Posts: 12
    Let the developer takes it time to build the game they visualise - part of this EE releases are from the original crazy Canadian crew - I trust them, if given enough time and money, they know what they are doing :-).

I really don't want another rushed game fiasco, and I have seen too many of them. I propose sending instant gratification gaming to rot in a Luskan prison! ( ;-) )
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    I am hoping they will fix all the bugs in BGEE, then release much more DLC, then release BG2EE...I don't want them to forget about BGEE before they have fixed everything...sooooo many bugs right now.
  • Venerate1Venerate1 Member Posts: 16
    Ive been replaying BG2 with all the mods and sods recently and you must be doing something wrong or not setting the resolutions correctly if you think it looks bad...

Ill probably still buy BG2:EE just to continue my blackguard's story (can we have a blackguard stronghold pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?!!). But right now, BG2 with mods is perfectly playable and with the right time and effort it looks great.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    Play some Icewind Dale while you wait :)
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416

Play some Icewind Dale while you wait :)

Hells yeah, that's what I'm up to. With the Heart of Winter expansion and the Trials of the Luremaster free download, IWD1 is a fantastic game. The BG series is better, sure, but it's not right that IWD seems so thoroughly eclipsed by its older sibling.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I have another suggestion.

Why don't they take MUCH longer to create BG2:EE? And also, why don't they upgrade the graphics this time, even as paid DLCs released in parts? New character sprites if the game sold well would be ace :o
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    Mornmagor said:

And also, why don't they upgrade the graphics this time, even as paid DLCs released in parts?

How about not paying for that kind of DLC? I'd appreciate that very much. Paying for graphics updates seems like a dangerous precedent. It's bad enough that DLCs have already managed to duplicate the cost of games these days and ended shaping the gaming industry to release diminished titles that lack what games like Baldur's Gate used give their players.

If you are happy paying for that kind of DLC, that's fine. But with all due respect, keep it to yourself. There's those of us for who a paying DLC is the painful realization that we cannot afford more than what we already put in the game when we bought it. And that DLC marks the moment where we will have an inferior gaming experience to anyone else.
  • ArturArtur Member Posts: 35
    edited December 2012
    Mornmagor said:

why don't they upgrade the graphics this time, even as paid DLCs released in parts? New character sprites if the game sold well would be ace :o

Posts like these make me wish there was a "mark as spam" button.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    They should take their time.

This game had less new features than a typical TuTu run and they didn't take time to get through all that hardcoded stuff or make it, well... enhanced over something a modder could do.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Dazzu said:

They should take their time.

This game had less new features than a typical TuTu run and they didn't take time to get through all that hardcoded stuff or make it, well... enhanced over something a modder could do.

This.

Nothing more important than this.

edited December 2012
    marfig said:

Mornmagor said:

And also, why don't they upgrade the graphics this time, even as paid DLCs released in parts?

How about not paying for that kind of DLC? I'd appreciate that very much. Paying for graphics updates seems like a dangerous precedent. It's bad enough that DLCs have already managed to duplicate the cost of games these days and ended shaping the gaming industry to release diminished titles that lack what games like Baldur's Gate used give their players.

If you are happy paying for that kind of DLC, that's fine. But with all due respect, keep it to yourself. There's those of us for who a paying DLC is the painful realization that we cannot afford more than what we already put in the game when we bought it. And that DLC marks the moment where we will have an inferior gaming experience to anyone else.
    Keep it to myself? Keep my ideas to myself because you don't like to hear them? I don't care if you like my ideas or not. If you can't afford it, don't bother buying it. Where is the problem with people expressing their opinion, especially when the OP is practically encouraging the game to be released very soon, as in, with even worse polish than BG:EE?

I understand you being unable to follow such a DLC, but i don't like your tone of "keep the idea to yourself because i don't like it". Also, DLC doesn't mean you're gonna pay as much as you paid for the game, Beamdog sounds more reasonable than many companies of today. DLC is an option, one you can choose to neglect. There is not much choice in "keep ideas to yourself".
    Artur said:

Mornmagor said:

why don't they upgrade the graphics this time, even as paid DLCs released in parts? New character sprites if the game sold well would be ace :o

Posts like these make me wish there was a "mark as spam" button.
    My post was a suggestion, one you obviously did not like. Your post, however, was a waste of space.

You obviously have no idea what spam means, but, putting that aside, your post implies that you want a power of marking as "spam", messages you don't like, even if they are not spam. Who do you think you are anyway, someone to dictate what others write?

@marfig @Artur your opinions are well-noted, however, if you ever imply for someone to not post his ideas because you either don't like them, or you think they are spam, or they remind you of horrors of the past or whatever, i will seriously contact a moderator.
    edited December 2012
    Mornmagor said:

@marfig @Artur your opinions are well-noted, however, if you ever imply for someone to not post his ideas because you either don't like them, or you think they are spam, or they remind you of horrors of the past or whatever, i will seriously contact a moderator.

Threatening people will get you nowhere around here (or anywhere for that matter).
    I consider your opinion flat-out absurd and ignorant, hence why it's spam for me.

DLCs are only appropriate if done right. What you suggested was on the same level as EA or THQ would handle it.
    And If you'd done some research you would've known upgrading the graphics is not possible, since they lost most resources for the games. Replacing them would mean making the game from the ground up, which would take an immeasurable amount of time.
    edited December 2012
    I know all about the graphic issues @Artur, i was one of the first people in this forum that made open discussions about it.

There were several reasons why new graphics would not be done, but Trent himself admitted that they could create avatars anew, but it would create "visual inconcistency", something that many of us don't agree with, for several reasons, but furthermore, if the game was quite a success, new possibilities would open for development.

Also, it's not a threat, it's a guarantee. Funny that you mention "around here", like you own the place from long before.

I don't give a rat's ass if you consider my opinion absurd or ignorant, ignorance is with you on this one, since you assume i don't know the situation about avatars, sprites, source art and whatnot. You think it's spam, fine, sucks to be you then.

And no, it doesn't mean making the game from the ground up, character avatars are animations, independent of the rest of the game that are tied to certain commands, like moving or casting. Animations that the devs actually considered doing.

DLCs are appropriate if done right? Newsflash, the same applies to anything. Yeah, i'm sure something that modders have done, implementing even Diablo animations in BG, or altering existing animations, like 1pp, is EA level.

So spare me your crap, and go bother someone else.
    Mornmagor said:

I know all about the graphic issues @Artur, i was one of the first people in this forum that made open discussions about it.

There were several reasons why new graphics would not be done, but Trent himself admitted that they could create avatars anew, but it would create "visual inconcistency", something that many of us don't agree with, for several reasons, but furthermore, if the game was quite a success, new possibilities would open for development.

If you knew about it you should understand how stupid the idea is.
    What would be the point of releasing BG:EE in its old state and creating new sprites for BG2:EE?
    They already hinted at a BG3 if the profit is high enough so there's no reason whatsoever to demand new graphics for the older titles, especially if people are against inconsistency and major changes in them.
    Mornmagor said:

Also, it's not a threat, it's a guarantee. Funny that you mention "around here", like you own the place from long before.

It's common forum-netiquette. You can report me all you like but I doubt anyone would take you seriously as long as you keep acting like an angry little man.
    edited December 2012
    Any enhancements in BG2:EE's engine will be brought to BG:EE backwards as well, since they use the same engine, as said by the devs.

Etiquette? Accusing people of spamming because you don't like their opinion is not my idea of etiquette, though.

And this trying to belittle others or their opinions with "spam" or "angry little man" or whatever is beneath me.

Anyway, my apologies if i was too aggressive in my responses.
    @Artur the common forum etiquette is also that when you have almost no posts under your belt, you don't start insulting veteran users, especially since they've done nothing to warrant such attacks but merely stated their general opinion.