Skip to content

Merella's Cabin

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited November 2012 in Original BG2 Bugs
The map for the interior of Merella's Cabin (Umar Hills) is excessively large, and as a result of this and the fact that you can see the walls from an exterior perspective while inside the cabin, the viewer gets the appearance of there being more there than there really is. If possible, the map should be made to be much smaller.

Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    It is also known as "Ranger's Cabin."
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    This is in BGII?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Yeah. Ranger stronghold.
  • kiskikiski Member Posts: 40
    But that´s not a bug I guess. It was intended by creators for a simple reason - shared area art for 2 different areas...:)
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    SoA had a small area for the ranger cabin. In ToB they expanded the area so they could re-use it for Kiser's home in Saradush. The upshot is that visiting the cabin with ToB installed makes it look like you've missed a secret door since you can see hints of the extra passageway.
  • kiskikiski Member Posts: 40
    That´s what I meant...:)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2012
    kiski said:

But that´s not a bug I guess. It was intended by creators for a simple reason - shared area art for 2 different areas...:)

I assume it came down to the short development time they had for ToB, which meant reusing art work to save time/money, but I still think it should be fixed.

I am not sure of the structure of the game (at least in the sense that I don't know if individual buildings are considered their own area or an area within an area). I assume to some degree they are given the number of areas listed in the data folder.

I mean if it was one way in soa then couldn't you just take a copy of the area on a soa cd (which I assume people on the development team have), rename it (for arguments sake lets to area9999), then in game when a character is to enter the cabin have the game link to that area instead of what is now the modified (thanks to ToB) area map? Just a thought.