Skip to content

Gygax Run! (No Reload)

So, um, I did a run with the first stat set that popped up. did fine till I tried to go into the Red Sheaf..then got chunked.

So, try it yourself! Do a no reload run with the VERY first set of stats you get, without changing them. (I was lucky, made a fighter with 18/12 str, 9 dex, 10 con, 13 int, 13 wis, 13 cha)
and_then_or

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    To be a real Gygax run, you need to attack the dungeons using a Wild Mage using nothing but Reckless to simulate that Gygaxian Death Trap feel.
    The_New_RomanceSCARY_WIZARDFlashburnAnton
  • Darth_SkippyDarth_Skippy Member Posts: 37
    note I left the class up to you, feel free to try a wild mage. just remember that mages have a bad case of glass cannon...
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    It is only appropriate to use Core difficulty for such a run.

I am intrigued. I may have to try this and tell you my results, but it'll have to wait until January, I'm going to be busy for a while.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I think Hardcore might be more accurate. You should watch Spoony's "Counter Monkey – Tandem’s Last Ride"
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    edited December 2012
    Spoony is an entertainer. Which I find is synonymous to "liar" or "exaggerator". While his stories are entertaining another word to describe them would be "unreliable".
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106
    A fun idea! I gave it a shot, so to speak: I went with an archer, reckoning that a ranged character would suffer less from bad stats than a front-liner, and a 10 HP ranger wouldn't be as squishy as a 4 HP mage.

The roll was:

STR 15
    DEX 13
    CON 14
    INT 15
    WIS 14
    CHA 13

Awesome!

Then I realised the minium stats for an elf ranger are 13, 13, 14, 8, 14, 8. So in fact it's rather average, apart from the useless high INT and CHA. Oh well.

In the prologue, I teleported to Obe's training grounds, swagged the speed potion and ended combat. Went to the house with the assassin, killed him... and as the journal entry appeared, the game locked up.

Exit Gariel I, elven archer.
  • NecrishNecrish Member Posts: 6
    This sounds interesting, never really tried a no reload before.
    Rolled a Fighter/mage
    Stats
    12,11,9,17,13,13 Not too bad!

My party died fighting Basilus i did the only honourable thing and ran away like a little girl, only to be punched in the face by a ghoul,that paralyzed me, and killed me (probably ate said face aswell).

I didn't successfully copy a single spell :(
    CaptRory
  • Darth_SkippyDarth_Skippy Member Posts: 37
    I go with human fighters, on the premise that I can combo it if I get a useless 17 somewhere.
    CaptRory