Skip to content

Headbomb's big list of weapons and items issues [Part 3]

HeadbombHeadbomb Member Posts: 213
edited January 2013 in Fixed
Same as part 1 and 2, but this time more focused on descriptions

AX1H16
* Actual weight is 1, description says it's 5.

AX1H17
* Actual weight is 4, description says it's 7.

BAG03 / BAG03G / BAG03H / BAG03I
* Weight is not listed in the description (compare with BAG02).

BAG05

BAG06 / BAG06B / BAG06C / BAG06D
* Actual weight is 2, description says it's 5.

BAG19 / BAG19A / BAG19B / BAG19C / BAG19D / BAG19E / BAG20 / BAG21 / BAG22 / BAG23 / BAG24 / BAG25 / BAG26 / BAG27 / BAG28 / BAG29 / BAG30 / BAG31

BELT05
* Description does not mention that you need a remove curse to remove the belt

BRAC15
* Actual weight is 1, description says it's 2.

BRAC11
* Description does not mention that you need a remove curse to remove the bracers

CLCK25
* Weight is not listed in the description.

CLCK26

ENMACE / ENMORN / ENSTAFF / ENSW1H01 / ENSW1H02 / ENSW2H
* These actually have weights... which is possibly strange (ENBLADE doesn't for example)... but not necessarily a bug if they are actually conjured physical weapons.

FAMCAT / FAMCAT25 / FAMDUS25 / FAMDUST / FAMFAI25 / FAMFAIR / FAMFER / FAMFER25 / FAMPSD / FAMPSD25 / FAMQUA25 / FAMQUAS / FAMRAB / FAMRAB25

FIRESEED

GOODBERRY

ISW1H07
* Strength requirement is actual 5, description says 4.

LEAT08
* Consider renaming Shadow Armor +3

MISC01 / MISC1B to MISC1I / MISC2A to MISC2O / MISC69 to MISC71 / MISC76 to MISC82 / MISC86 / MISC89 / MISC91 to MISC97

MISC68
* NI gives the name of this thing to be "Abela the NymphSTATISTICS:Weight: 90"
Could be an NI bug however.

PLAT##
* In general the spacing between the Armor Class/Requirement/Weight is inconsistant

QUIVER01/ QUIVER02 / QUIVER05
* Not necessarily buggy, but I have to say that I expected these to weight something instead of their current weight of 0.

SCRL3F
* Categorized as a scroll, ... seem to be better if it was categorized as a book.

SHLD32
* Actual weight is 8, description says it's 7. Also the strength requirement is 9, description says it's 12.

SORB

SPER3
* Actual weight is 3, description says it's 5.

SW1H13
* Actual weight is 3, description says it's 4.

SW1H19
* Description does not mention that you need a remove curse to remove the sword

SW1H23

SW1H55
* Actual weight is 4, description says it's 5.

SW1P01
* Actual weight is 4, description says it's 3.

SW2HD1
* Actual weight is 12, description says it's 10.

TTKEY01

TTLEAT
* Actual weight is 5, description says it's 15.

TTSHLD01
* Actual weight is 5, description says it's 7.

TTSWORD2
* Actual weight is 1, description says it's 12.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• HeadbombHeadbomb Member Posts: 213
    edited December 2012
    I suppose I should ping @Jalily since this is mostly for him/her. Maybe a couple for @CamDawg?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Headbomb said:

AX1H16
    * Actual weight is 1, description says it's 5.

Description shared with AX1H04, which weighs 5.
    Headbomb said:

AX1H17
    * Actual weight is 4, description says it's 7.

Description shared with a bunch of axes that weigh 7.
    Headbomb said:

BRAC15

To @CamDawg: Most bracers weigh 2, but BRAC10, BRAC11, BRAC15, and BRAC26 weigh 1. Unfortunately, I "corrected" the discrepancy for BRAC15 a while ago and announced it for the translators already. But it could be reversed.
    Headbomb said:

CLCK25

CLCK26

This is going to sound really dumb, but I can't find these. What are they named?
    Headbomb said:

* These actually have weights... which is possibly strange (ENBLADE doesn't for example)... but not necessarily a bug if they are actually conjured physical weapons.

@CamDawg, are these descriptions visible in the game? Most of the names are assigned to familiar dialogue strings.
    Headbomb said:

FAMCAT / FAMCAT25 / FAMDUS25 / FAMDUST / FAMFAI25 / FAMFAIR / FAMFER / FAMFER25 / FAMPSD / FAMPSD25 / FAMQUA25 / FAMQUAS / FAMRAB / FAMRAB25

The "25" versions aren't used.
    Headbomb said:

FIRESEED

@CamDawg, unequipped fire seeds seem to stick around forever. You probably know this, though. :)
    Headbomb said:

ISW1H07

Shares description with SW1H09, which has a requirement of 4.
    Headbomb said:

LEAT08

@CamDawg? (I'm glad people only get one notification per post, lol.)
    Headbomb said:

MISC76 to MISC82

MISC76 and MISC77 are not used.

MISC78 is a weightless scroll. I don't put weights on these because of the tremendous mess it would create with spells (which often share descriptions with their scrolls), not to mention how odd it would be to see weights listed after the actual content of books and letters.

MISC79 and MISC80 are dead bodies which share the same description, but have different weights because one is female and the other is male. I put in a request for new strings long ago, but that's on hold right now.

@CamDawg, MISC81 needs its identified name reassigned to #17311.
    Headbomb said:

SORB

@CamDawg, I don't see the +3 THAC0 bonus or extra damage to undead described by the Sol's Searing Orb spell. In addition, it appears to blind a struck victim for 6 rounds, not 1d6.
    Headbomb said:

SW1P01
    * Actual weight is 4, description says it's 3.

Item not used.

Stuff for @CamDawg to make the call:
    Headbomb said:

QUIVER01/02/05
    * Not necessarily buggy, but I have to say that I expected these to weight something instead of their current weight of 0.

SCRL3F
    * Categorized as a scroll, ... seem to be better if it was categorized as a book.

SHLD32
    * Actual weight is 8, description says it's 7. Also the strength requirement is 9, description says it's 12.

SPER3

SW1H13

SW1H23

SW1H55

SW2HD1

TTLEAT

TTSHLD01

TTSWORD2

Everything else has been handled, including the Abela thing.
    edited December 2012
    Jalily said:

Headbomb said:

CLCK25

CLCK26

This is going to sound really dumb, but I can't find these. What are they named?
    Couldn't tell you right now, as I'm away from my desktop, but Mike's RPG Center (http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/cheats.html#armor) tells me that in BGII these item codes correspond to the Cloak of Mirrors and Cloak of Stars. Maybe this is helpful? If not, then maybe look at all the cloaks and see which are missing weights in the description? If that's too time consuming, then you'll have to wait 'till I get back home. Or maybe I mistyped and meant CLCK15 and CLCK16?
    Jalily said:

Headbomb said:

So the non-25 versions have been fixed?
    Jalily said:

MISC78 is a weightless scroll. I don't put weights on these because of the tremendous mess it would create with spells (which often share descriptions with their scrolls), not to mention how odd it would be to see weights listed after the actual content of books and letters.

Oh right. At this point in the MISC items, there was so many of them I just listed those without weights without checking what exactly the item was. I agree that books and scrolls don't need to have their weights listed, as long as they are consistantly of weight 2 and of weight 0.
    Jalily said:

MISC79 and MISC80 are dead bodies which share the same description, but have different weights because one is female and the other is male. I put in a request for new strings long ago, but that's on hold right now.

By curiosity, and since I've seen you mention the need for new strings a while ago, what exactly is the issue with creating new strings? Needs to go through a different process?
    Headbomb said:

Couldn't tell you right now, as I'm away from my desktop, but Mike's RPG Center (http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/cheats.html#armor) tells me that in BGII these item codes correspond to the Cloak of Mirrors and Cloak of Stars. Maybe this is helpful? If not, then maybe look at all the cloaks and see which are missing weights in the description? If that's too time consuming, then you'll have to wait 'till I get back home. Or maybe I mistyped and meant CLCK15 and CLCK16?

Looks like those are BG2-only items.
    Headbomb said:

So the non-25 versions have been fixed?

Yes.
    Headbomb said:

By curiosity, and since I've seen you mention the need for new strings a while ago, what exactly is the issue with creating new strings? Needs to go through a different process?

Yeah. I only have the power to modify existing strings.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Familiars are probably due for a re-balancing regardless, as they're aimed at parties with SoA power levels. I'll see if I can put together a sensible thread for them at some point.
    unused: ax1h16, ax1h17, shld32, sw1p01,
    Jalily said:

Headbomb said:

BRAC15

To @CamDawg: Most bracers weigh 2, but BRAC10, BRAC11, BRAC15, and BRAC26 weigh 1. Unfortunately, I "corrected" the discrepancy for BRAC15 a while ago and announced it for the translators already. But it could be reversed.
    Yeah, that'll need to be rolled back. The descript and item matching should almost always mean we don't mess with it.
    Jalily said:

Headbomb said:

CLCK25

CLCK26

Yeah, I don't even have these in my build. @Jalily, it's possible @headbomb meant clck21 (Holy Cloak) and clck22 (Shandalar's Cloak).
    Jalily said:

Headbomb said:

@CamDawg, are these descriptions visible in the game? Most of the names are assigned to familiar dialogue strings.
    I had submitted a fix for the names in the beta and it looks like it's finally going in the next build (1382 in the tracker). eneblade is actually from the energy blade spell. Since these are created in inventory instead of the magical weapon slot, their descriptions are exposed to the player. I will be changing their weights to zero--we had a good fight discussion about it for BG2FP and ultimately went with making any magically created weapon zero weight for consistency and a whole mess of other reasons. The morning star and staff are actually unused and it would be trivial to add them back as option for the spell, but it would require some string updates.

It'd actually be trivial to add all of the missing weapon types (and maybe even ammo), we'd just need to double-check whether the spell submenu would scroll if it was 12+ options.
    Jalily said:

Headbomb said:

These'll need to be addresses separately.
    Jalily said:

Headbomb said:

FIRESEED

@CamDawg, unequipped fire seeds seem to stick around forever. You probably know this, though. :)
    Yeah, created items have big issues with their expiries, but it's beyond what I can get in and fix.
    Jalily said:

Headbomb said:

ISW1H07

Shares description with SW1H09, which has a requirement of 4.
    Hmm, in my build it shares the same string (6747) as generic short swords, in which case the string should be adjusted to 5 strength. All magical short swords use this until they're identified, but I don't think anyone actually relies on unidentified strings for accurate info.
    Jalily said:

Headbomb said:

LEAT08

@CamDawg? (I'm glad people only get one notification per post, lol.)
    As much as I hate the convention of Unique +x, it is indeed +3 studded leather.
    Jalily said:

Headbomb said:

MISC76 to MISC82

MISC76 and MISC77 are not used.

@CamDawg, MISC81 needs its identified name reassigned to #17311.
    Got misc81. And since I didn't see it addressed, I suppose we could add weight to the ancient armor (misc82) but that's @Jalily's call.
    Jalily said:

Headbomb said:

SORB

@CamDawg, I don't see the +3 THAC0 bonus or extra damage to undead described by the Sol's Searing Orb spell. In addition, it appears to blind a struck victim for 6 rounds, not 1d6.
    Christ, Sol's Searing Orb. I just finished coding up a lot of fixes for this for BG2FP as it's really buggy. Damage was correct, but non-undead blindness was set at six rounds. Undead blindness was 6 rounds on a save and 62 seconds (just over 10 rounds) on a failed save. Despite always being blinded, undead wouldn't get the blinded message if they made their save. Damage was correct, at least.
    Headbomb said:

QUIVER01/02/05

Hmm, an infinite quantity of infintesimally weighted items... sounds like a job for calculus... integrate x dx from 0 to infinity... hmm... fuck it, they're magic, leave it.
    Headbomb said:

SCRL3F

Yep, fixed.
    Headbomb said:

SPER3

It's matching at 5 in BG2, so I've adjusted the weight here.
    Headbomb said:

SW1H13

Looks like they couldn't decide on long sword (4) or short sword (3). Since it was treated closer to a dagger in BG, let's adjust the descript to the lower weight of 3.
    Headbomb said:

SW1H23

Scimitars are 4, scimitar +1 is 3, so let's update the description to 3.

In general, every level of enchantment knocks one off a weapon's speed. Sometimes it seems they did the same for weights, other times it's random.
    Headbomb said:

SW1H55

Let's update the description. This weapon also has its own icon that is not assigned (it's using the katana +1 graphics).
    Headbomb said:

SW2HD1

Weight doesn't hit 10 for 2-handers until you start hitting 2 enchantment, so 12 seems appropriate. Let's update the descript.
    Headbomb said:

TTLEAT

TTSHLD01

These are supposed to be the tutorial versions of Protector of the Second +2 and Medium Shield +2, but their identified descript strings were wrong.
    Headbomb said:

TTSWORD2

This is a tutorial enemy sword, so it's not obtainable by the party. That's also why it does 0d2 damage.

edited January 2013
    @CamDawg & @Jalily now that you mention it, CLCK21 (Holy Cloak) and CLCK22 (Shandalar's Cloak) definitely ring a bell for this. If they lack weights in the description, then it's what I was referring too in all likelyhood. No idea why I would have mistyped the item codes though.

Edit: Confirming that I was indeed refering to CLCK21 and CLCK22
    Post edited by Headbomb on
    edited December 2012
    CamDawg said:

Yeah, that'll need to be rolled back. The descript and item matching should almost always mean we don't mess with it.

Rolled back.
    CamDawg said:

Yeah, I don't even have these in my build. @Jalily, it's possible @headbomb meant clck21 (Holy Cloak) and clck22 (Shandalar's Cloak).

Already added.
    CamDawg said:

I added "Weight: 0", but since these all share the same string, I can't add the other stats.

Will SORB and MELFMET also weigh 0? They currently weigh 1.
    CamDawg said:

And since I didn't see it addressed, I suppose we could add weight to the ancient armor (misc82) but that's @Jalily's call.

Already added.
    CamDawg said:

Headbomb said:

QUIVER01/02/05

Hmm, an infinite quantity of infintesimally weighted items... sounds like a job for calculus... integrate x dx from 0 to infinity... hmm... fuck it, they're magic, leave it.
    I like the way you think.
    CamDawg said:

Headbomb said:

TTSHLD01

These are supposed to be the tutorial versions of Protector of the Second +2 and Medium Shield +2, but their identified descript strings were wrong.
    Do you mean they need to be reassigned? Their identified strings are the same as their unidentified strings, so I can't change them.

All other stuff has been updated.
    edited December 2012
    Jalily said:

I added "Weight: 0", but since these all share the same string, I can't add the other stats.

I dunno, I feel like the weight feels really out of place without the usual block o' stats. I'm certainly not advocating for full, unique descripts for these, so it might be better to just omit the weight.
    Jalily said:

Will SORB and MELFMET also weigh 0? They currently weigh 1.

Yes, weight's being changed to 0.
    Jalily said:

CamDawg said:

Headbomb said:

TTSHLD01

Do you mean they need to be reassigned? Their identified strings are the same as their unidentified strings, so I can't change them.
    Yeah, sorry about the confusion. I assigned the correct ID'd strings in their item files.

edit: fixed the quote tags
    CamDawg said:

Jalily said:

I dunno, I feel like the weight feels really out of place without the usual block o' stats. I'm certainly not advocating for full, unique descripts for these, so it might be better to just omit the weight.
    A possible alternative to listing full stats (ideal solution IMO, but would probably require new strings) or listing only the weight is to mention that the items are weightless in the description "This weightless magical weapon was conjured ..." [or whatever the flavor text is], rather than listing weight in the usual fashion.

Likewise the description of the spell could be updated to "This spell conjures forth a weightless magic weapon of the caster's choice..." [or whatever the text is].