Skip to content

Oh dear god. ALL MY MONIES. ;_; (Or: How Tabletop Miniatures Took Over My Life)

2»

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    My dark eldar army eat space marines for breakfast.
    On the other hand - ouch, my wallet!
  • PsychogasmPsychogasm Member Posts: 10
    @sandmanCCL My Dark Vengeance starter kit just came in yesterday, thanks for letting me know about it these DA models are great. Ended up splitting cost with my brother whose a die-hard chaos player.
    sandmanCCL
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    @Psychogasm: No prob dude. I guess now is a bad time to tell you I actually got the limited edition one that came with a really badass interrogator-chaplain?

Just got this done. Doesn't look like much, but I assure you laying down that basecoat was a lot of work. 10 dudes. The plasma cannon guy and the sergeant in particular were a pain in the ass. Still, it'll be worth it when I get these guys finished.

TEH EMPRAH BROTECTS
    @sandmanCCL Haha i hate you. I wanted that chaplain bad but all my shop had was the normal ones. Found a really good tutorial for painting cloaks so i don't make the same mistake as i did with my chapter master, going back to hobby shop thursday to buy more paint them ima get the ball rolling on them.
    Capes and cloth actually seems like it'd be pretty simple to do. Base, wash, layer, layer. And there's a lot of surface, so doing that is easier than on, say, a grenade on your dude's belt or something along those lines. I watched the official GW "How to paint GW Miniatures" DVD and learned a lot.

Probably why my beginner units look like I've been doing this for a bit rather than just a first timer.
    edited December 2012
    @Psychogasm:

Almost done with the squad. I need gold paints to do the sword symbols on various guys, a lighter shade of beige to finish layering off clothing/purity seals, and flesh tone to paint the head of my sergeant, but the squad is done outside of that.

I'd ideally like a green drybrush paint, actually, to highlight the green parts of the armor. They look way flat now that I've trimmed up the metal parts.

Added: Got my squad finished!

Alternate shot
    Sergeant
    back of Sergeant

I feel so accomplished.
    Post edited by sandmanCCL on
    MoomintrollDrugarMikkel
    Very nice, im making good headway on my company master, ill post some pics when hes finished. In meantime here's my tactical that i just finished: http://i.imgur.com/wl08w.jpg
    Moomintroll
  • RaelonRaelon Member Posts: 17

I feel so accomplished.

You should be! Very nice looking units there

I am struggling with my imperial guard army atm.
    I just wish I had more time to invest on them :)

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    This is a cool thread! I want to see more miniatures! post post.
    @Psychogasm: Just finished? His gun is still black. :(
    (nice job, though) :D
    Yeah thats how i paint them (though this was before i did the finishing touches the ribbon thing on the gun is now red). I'm not a fan of the bright red bolters, sticks out too much with the otherwise dark colors of the Dark Angels.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    That looks very good!
    The sergeant is awefully yellow though, liver problems?
    @Drugar: I blame the lighting. It looks fleshtone in person, I assure you. In the pictures his face and tabard look like they are similarly colored but I assure you they aren't.
    edited December 2012
    @Moomintroll: You wanted more, so here you go.

A friend had a spare chaos marine and he just gave it to me. The best part is, he goes mega lazy and barely paints his dudes. He does solid black, then paints eyes, and highlights skulls. That's literally it, so it after stripping that off, I got to work.

The red sword is not supposed to be bloody, btw. It's just a red sword. I tried to paint white flames on it but failed pretty bad. I'll likely strip the paint off it and try again.

The rest of him, though, is pretty hawesome.
    Moomintroll
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    @sandmanCCL Dude, say the sword is bloody. It looks super cool and looks bloody. Happy accident.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @sandmanCCL Cool! I've no idea about the ins and outs of miniature painting - did you want the flames to have a hard edge? I agree with paulsifer though, it's one of those times where if you don't know it's a mistake then it actually looks fine.

I'd love to do some miniatures for D&D some time.
    edited December 2012
    My production slowed down this last week because last week of class and finals n stuff.

So here's my bikers! They aren't exactly finished because I need to go highlight them and I need like 6 or 7 different paints to get the full effect I want but that'll have to wait.

If you wanna scroll through my entire photobucket album, here's the link. Scroll right or left to browse.

This guy is the most advanced paint job out of them so far. I got the metal bits all chromed out with highlights, and also highlighted the white parts of the wings and also his chest/head symbol.

Plasma guns! Yay! He looks really flat compared to my other two. I need to work on him.

It's a little out of focus which is a shame, but he's mostly done. Inside of the cape is purple, which I realize is somewhat hard to tell from my phone shot here. I did a great job on his head, if I do say so. Fleshed it out really nice, and to do the whites of his eyes, I took a broken high E string of a guitar and dipped the tip in paint. Super fine point, got it on just right. Innovation!
    Drugar
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Seeing all of these models, I feel like wanting to start painting figurines myself! >_<
  • Ronin13Ronin13 Member Posts: 53
    Fabulous work. Though I am compelled to put this pic up- image

This is coming from a guy who spent thousands of dollars on minis for his own games so I fall into this category as well. :)
    sandmanCCL
    edited December 2012
    @ Ronin13: I love it. Fantastic.

Gonna quote a bunch of names now just to gather people who've seemed to express interest in this. (AKA: Shameless self promotion, because lord knows I love attention)

@ Kitteh_On_A_Cloud, @ Quartz, @ LadyRhian, @ Moomintroll, @ ychogasm, @ Brude (we miss you, buddy ;_;), @ Anduine, @ Belgarathmth

I probably got like $60 bucks worth of art supplies for Christmas. My family is cool, we just hand out what we got each other when we get it, especially because I sort of asked they just give me the paints early if they were going to give them to me so I'd have time to work on my stuff while at home.

I have to admit even I'm like ":O" at some of the stuff I've managed to paint.

I'm like 95% done with my Dark Angels now. Everything is painted, I just need to go back over my tactical marines and terminators with edging to make them pop. My bikers and HQ units are 100% finished now.

EDIT: Image Moved
    Part of me wants to name the squad "Dalek."

This one is mostly for you, Bel. My younger brother's fiancee saw me painting up guys and said she wanted me to paint something up for her. There's a hobby shop near home here in Vegas which has a bunch of old die-cast metal figurines unassorted just laying about in a box for like $3 bucks apiece so I figured, hey, cheap gift. Found this little amazon. Was too small to attempt eyes but the rest of the model is pretty good.

Here are my HQ units in the order I got them painted up. (Sorry about the bad lighting on my Captain, I took it at like 1 in the morning the night I got him painted and he's resting on a yellowish napkin so it throws the white balance out a little bit.)

Dat smoke stack. Unf. UNF.

Now that I'm more or less done with my space marines, time to move on to chaos. Rather than simply paint the guys I've already got assembled, I figured I'd get around to assembling the rest of my chaos battleforce. Like a doof, I started with my Rhino, which is a transport tank for the unitiated. Because I aim to overachieve, I decided to go ahead and paint the insides.

Half the stuff on here need to be painted prior to being 100% glued down so I'm stuck for now. I've been waiting for the glue to set on the hatch doors for the gunner, so that's when I sat down to figure I'd peruse the forums and see what I missed, and also share what I've got done.

It might only be a torso (updated: he's got a head now!) but that's one damn sexy torso.
    Post edited by sandmanCCL on
    Moomintroll
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @SandmanCCL Your "amazon" is actually a human thief from the AD&D line. I have the same one. There was a male thief that went with her. I actually have two of her, one in black, one in gray, to the right side of the picture, second row.
    MoomintrollsandmanCCL
    The rounded thing in her hand is supposed to be a cosh, for hitting people over the head with and knocking them out. The male thief from that set is to the left of the picture, also in black. The male figure in between, with the blue cloak, is the thief lord.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @SandmanCCL, beautfiful work! I could never paint in such small detail so cleanly, without making a huge mess.

@LadyRhian, I like yours, too. Did you paint that collection yourself?
    @Belgarathmth Yes, I did. I am very proud of the wear I got on the jeans and leather jackets on the Shadowrunners. I have more pictures on my DeviantArt page. http://ladyrhianwriter.deviantart.com/gallery/38919912
    BelgarathMTH
    @LadyRhian: Yeah, I see that. Cool. I thought it was an amazon from Warhammer Fantasy but that makes a lot more sense. I thought the thing in her other hand was a sling, so I tried to give it a leathery look.

@Belgarathmth: Honestly I thought this was going to be a lot harder than it is. Once you get through a handful of models, you kind of figure out how to stay on each object. Adding detail is a matter of technique so once you understand how to highlight edges, it's simply a matter of time.

I might have a short temper with people, but I'm actually a really patient person in every other aspect of life. If something is going to take awhile, doesn't bother me. As long as I can see progression, I can tough through really boring things.
    BelgarathMTHDrugar
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @sandmanCCL: I like the limited edition chaplain the best. Very nice, vibrant colours. :)

As for the Rhino machine thing, I suggest you use different shades of grey to add some more of a 3D feeling to the figurine. Just a piece of advice. :)
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud: That photo is in a very unfinished state. The only thing painted in it is the torso of the gunner. The black is simply primer, and the rocket launcher there is just the base plastic without any paint on it whatsoever.

It's since been fully assembled and has the base coats down on everything but the treads as I lack the tones I want to use for those. The primer black will suffice in the meantime. It's got spikes and crap added everywhere. It's running the same color scheme as my chaos soldiers, so bronze with icy blue trim. I'm fairly close to getting the first layer brighter of bronze painted on it so once I get there, I'll take a new photo and upload it.
  • MikkelMikkel Member Posts: 86
    Very nice paintjobs. I'm another miniatures addict, though I do try to limit my buying to what I can actually paint - otherwise I fall into the "pile of unpainted miniatures" trap. Of course, I usually fail horribly at enforcing this limit, but I do try!
    @Mikkel: I hear that. As I keep telling a lot of the other guys in the area, I'll buy more units and expand my armies when I'm damn good and ready. Everyone else I know has a bajillion unpainted guys they have no immediate plans to fix up. At least my unpainted guys are immediately on the docket!
    It's time for a little compare/contrast.

I'm going back over my original tac squads now that I've picked up a wide palette of paint. I can actually edge and highlight the greens, reds, browns and blacks on all my guys.

Just got finished with my tactical squad sergeant. Figured I'd just go ahead and make the most important ones pretty.

ORIGINAL

UPDATED

Picture of his back, which is arguably the best part.

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud:
    Told you I had plans to make it cool. :D The photo earlier was still just the base plastic grey.
    Shot one, shot two, gunner, and lastly cargo bay.

My favorite parts: The space marine helmet stuck on the spike, and the faces literally growing off the side of my gunner's weapons.

Also, I have no idea why but one of the angle shots I took of my tank made me laugh because I simply had to apply this effect to it.

I CAN INSTAGRAMZ?