Skip to content

Who is your first NPC? (Spoilerific)

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012

I play "multiplayer" where I create my whole party from scratch. If I were to play normally I would probably beeline for Viconia... its a shame that Shar-teel wont join an all-female party... seems like it would fit her personality well.

I have fallen in love with skie's voice pack though... she wouldn't join an all-female party either : /

@ShadowTiger
    Pick up a dude just long enough to kick Shar-Teel's butt. Boot out said dude.

Pick up Eldoth just long enough to pick up Skie. Have Eldoth go on a naked basilisk hunt, or if you're less merciful get him killed outright.

Merry Christmas, you can now have Skie and Shar-Teel in an all-female party.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    @ShadowTiger

1. Get man on party able to beat Shar-Teel
    2. Get Shar-Teel.
    3. Kick man out.
    4. Get Eldoth.
    5. Use him to get Skie.
    6. Get Eldoth killed in battle, then kick him out. If he dies before you kick him out I am p. sure that will keep Skie from leaving.
    7. Fill slot that used to be Eldoth's with other female NPC
    8. All female party containing both Skie and Shar-Teel! :D
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited November 2012

@ShadowTiger

1. Get on party able to beat Shar-Teel
    2. Get Shar-Teel.
    3. Kick man out.
    4. Get Eldoth.
    5. Use him to get Skie.
    6. Get Eldoth killed in battle, then kick him out. If he dies before you kick him out I am p. sure that will keep Skie from leaving.
    7. Fill slot that used to be Eldoth's with other female NPC
    8. All female party containing both Skie and Shar-Teel! :D

Or a wacky version that takes longer.

1. Get Eldoth
    2. Use him to challenge Shar-Teel (its going to be a difficult fight I gather based on levels but wands will help)
    3. Get Shar-Teel
    4. Equip Eldoth with Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity
    5. Use [her] to get Skie
    6. Fill party with other female NPC's
    7. Done.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,582
    Mordeus said:

I have a habit of playing certain NPCs instead of Charname. My method is that I set up a multiplayer file, create a Charname character with the chosen NPC's name like "Branwen" and then I create a secondary character. I load up the cheat console use it to delete Charname from my party, which makes the Charname slot vacant, then I use the second generated character to recruit the desired NPC like Branwen. Which makes the NPC become my Charname character because she gets added automatically into the first character slot. Then I kill off the second generated character and convert the multiplayer file back into single player and I disable the cheat console.

Works better in Baldur's Gate 2 because the NPCs are fleshed out more. I loved playing as Minsc whilst romancing Aerie, makes their relationship even more complicated. But with the new NPS in BG:EE, I'm planning on making my Charname character become Dorn. Which means I could play the main story as Dorn, whilst also playing Dorn's individual quest.

I usually go straight to Kivan, and make him my Charname character.

Whoa, this is awesome! ** runs off to go play as Shar Teel **

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Quartz And let's hope Monty does something similiar in the Cloakwood Mines (like this):

Photobucket

Ah yes, the sound of a critical backstab. Does it not . . . warm the cockles? (As Xzar would say.)

• DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    I've managed to avoid finding out where the new chars will be, so I will try to find one of them at friendly arm/beregost/nashkel. I do want to try pairing Ajantis with Dorn. Could be fun. I'm playing TN, so it would be a fun way to RP the alignment.
    edited November 2012
    @Mortianna Ahahahaha! EPIC! Also, nice party. :)
    Mordeus said:

I have a habit of playing certain NPCs instead of Charname. My method is that I set up a multiplayer file, create a Charname character with the chosen NPC's name like "Branwen" and then I create a secondary character. I load up the cheat console use it to delete Charname from my party, which makes the Charname slot vacant, then I use the second generated character to recruit the desired NPC like Branwen. Which makes the NPC become my Charname character because she gets added automatically into the first character slot. Then I kill off the second generated character and convert the multiplayer file back into single player and I disable the cheat console.

Works better in Baldur's Gate 2 because the NPCs are fleshed out more. I loved playing as Minsc whilst romancing Aerie, makes their relationship even more complicated. But with the new NPS in BG:EE, I'm planning on making my Charname character become Dorn. Which means I could play the main story as Dorn, whilst also playing Dorn's individual quest.

I usually go straight to Kivan, and make him my Charname character.

Whoa, that's sickness! I didn't know about that. What's the cheat console command to delete Charname though?
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Quartz Thanks! I try to remember to save screenshots whenever any "special" moments like that happen. :)
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    Quartz said:

Whoa, that's sickness! I didn't know about that. What's the cheat console command to delete Charname though?

For BG1 you have to use Tutu because the command to delete a character is only available in the BG2 cheat console. But I imagine if they are doing BG1:EE with the same Interface as BG2 then they might be porting the BG2 Cheat Console as well, but I don't have any confirmation on that. Which in that case it will be Ctrl+K and whoever you have under your mouse will be removed from the party.

I think there is another method out there but I'm going to have to load up my copy of BG1 Vanilla to be sure.
    Mordeus said:

For BG1 you have to use Tutu because the command to delete a character is only available in the BG2 cheat console. But I imagine if they are doing BG1:EE with the same Interface as BG2 then they might be porting the BG2 Cheat Console as well, but I don't have any confirmation on that. Which in that case it will be Ctrl+K and whoever you have under your mouse will be removed from the party.

I think there is another method out there but I'm going to have to load up my copy of BG1 Vanilla to be sure.

Very astute of you to notice I'm not amongst the TuTu crowd, but my vanilla ways will finally be laid to rest tomorrow. :P
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    Quartz said:

Very astute of you to notice I'm not amongst the TuTu crowd, but my vanilla ways will finally be laid to rest tomorrow. :P

I've got my fingers crossed it will work with BG:EE. I had alot of fun playing as Garrick alongside Eldoth and Skie, or playing as Khalid with Jaheira, or Minsc with Dynaheir or even Kivan with Viconia just for the insults. Or a Alora/Kagain/Yeslick/Montaron/Quayle/Tiax playthrough which was just bizarre.

But aside from the odd bit of vocal banter and the benefits of having Shar-Teel for just one alternate scene, the little trick was never as interesting as it was in BG2. Because with just the NPC potrait and soundfiles you can nearly emulate the NPC, except minus their unique banters.

Although I think this will change with the new NPCs. Doing a Dorn solo playthrough would be very interesting. Especially when whoever is in the first slot gets the Bhaalspawn abilities. So the special abilities you get from the dreams can go to whichever NPC you have as Charname. It gets especially interesting in BG2 when you can have a NPC like Minsc become the slayer.
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Quartz said:

Mordeus said:

BG:EE is the new vanilla.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited December 2012
    Post edited by Awong124 on
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    @Awong124 HOW COULD YOU! BUTT KICKING FOR JUSTICE WILL BE HAD ON YOU AND YOUR PARTY
    edited December 2012
    @Awong124 I love you.

@CoryNewb I hope you realize, those "funny" (they're not funny, they're unoriginal and boring) comments only make us hate Minsc more, right?
    @Quartz Right back at ya buddy. A little bromance is brewing.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    What npcs?
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    I get Imoen first, ditch her if evil, and then find a suitable healer. Generally either Branwen or Viconia, though Jaheira can assist very well.

Also, @Quartz and @Awong124, can we start a new forum just devoted to Minsc-chunking?
  • HeyaHeya Member Posts: 55

Nukenin said:

"Heya..."

Noober can't join the party.
    Imagine the banter. You'd never get anything done.
    toanwrath said:

Also, @Quartz and @Awong124, can we start a new forum just devoted to Minsc-chunking?

HAHA! That would be amazing.

-----

On a serious note, my first NPC is usually Kivan if good-aligned/neutral-aligned or Xzar and Monty if evil-aligned. People don't usually take this path, but ... you can get Kivan very, very quickly. Get ambushed, wake up, go South to High Hedge. Bam, you've got Kivan, an excellent NPC by any means.
    You can get Ajantis pretty early too.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Kivan

Although it feels like cheating sometimes.
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    Depends on the group. When bg:ee came out I decided to try all the npcs I have never played with, so I haven't took Minsc, Khalid and Jehira. But for evil group it will be Xzar and Monty for sure.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cyberarmycyberarmy Member Posts: 128
    I always have a soft spot for Kivan even as a full evil party, i get him first for a time till group gets full.
    I blame Warcraft 2 and its elves, Kivan reminded me them :/
  • HeliasHelias Member Posts: 112
    Imoen is the first in a good party. Best non-evil mage.

Viconia is the first in an evil party. It used to be Montaron, but I don't like his weapon proficiencies in BGEE.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Well, Imoen because I always feel like I HAVE to take her, but the first one I really want is Ajantis usually.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    For some reason I can never bring myself to ditch Imoen. It was really hard for me on one play through when she got chunked and I had to go on without her. It also took me many years and some intense therapy to get to the point where I could leave Jaheira and Khalid behind, I still take them sometimes or just Jaheira, but I no longer feel obligated. I have grown rather fond of Kivan though and almost always take him now. On my current play through it's me, a human cleric, Imoen, Neera, Dorn, Rasaad and Kivan. My problem now is I'm sitting at 18 rep and Dorn leaves me at 19. CHARNAME is neutral good, so I don't want to go slaughtering innocents, but I need a way to drop my rep before furthering the plot and risk losing Dorn to a rep boost.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    @SirK8 I just asked the same thing in another thread. Some people suggested stealing to lower your rep, but you have to do it in an area where Flaming Fist are not summoned (they will not take a bribe).