Skip to content

I keep losing money

I have no idea why, I'm a grindmonkey and a packrat, I'm frugal, and yet, for some reason, once every so often I find I'm down several thousand GP.
What's up? Do I lose money for restarting after death? do I lose money for writing new spells, is it a bug? what gives?

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    1) Are you using a Wild Mage?

2) Are you using that dagger that takes gold when you hit guys with it?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    To expand on what @CaptRory says, if you're a Wild Mage, there's a 5% chance of any one of your spells going "awry". One of the "awry" effects is that you lose 80% of your party's gold.

(actually, right now two of the effects do that; they're working on fixing that bit...)

If you make extensive use of Nahaal's Reckless Dweomer, you'll hit that magic number more often. Wild Mages are great fun, but they're also incredibly risky.
  • JFSOCCJFSOCC Member Posts: 4
    That must be it, damn Neera. thanks
  • JFSOCCJFSOCC Member Posts: 4
    btw, that makes a wild mage completely unusuable, IMO.
    There is a reload button~ Just quicksave often.
  • 24jel24jel Member Posts: 71
    The manual states that it is 20% of the gold, not 80%, when number 17 is rolled. Is the manual incorrect? Also, it is, again according to the manual, only of the effects out of a possible 100. Or am I just misreading the whole thing?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    For the same price as possibly losing some gold, you could also randomly summon demons, change gender, set things on fire, get some serious hiccups or fire two spells at the same time.
    I don't see how that makes her unplayable.

A giant liability, maybe. But not unplayable. :-p
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    That awkward moment when I gated a demon while casting magic missile on Cabros in Candlekeep. It was a slaughter... a slaughter :'(
  • SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    She cast gate when I was sneakily preparing for a big fight and casting some defensive spells... Was almost holding off the demon when the bandits decided it was their turn and joined the fight too. Goddamn you Neera...
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    edited December 2012
    Drugar said:

A giant liability, maybe. But not unplayable. :-p

I agree. Having played the game through many times before, I welcome the challenge. Plus, I never bothered with the wild mage kit up to now. It's a chance to actually see what it's all about.
  • zeepzeep Member Posts: 1
    Wake up a morning --> see that something 12k gold are missing in your party's wallet --> come to BGEE forum --> read this post --> curse Neera --> backup your game --> kill everybody --> reload --> "I'll get additional 20k before the end of the day >:)"
    24jel said:

The manual states that it is 20% of the gold, not 80%, when number 17 is rolled. Is the manual incorrect? Also, it is, again according to the manual, only of the effects out of a possible 100. Or am I just misreading the whole thing?

The manual should be updated to say 80%; it's on my list of things to do when I have the time.

The second effect is one that affects the enemy target of the spell, but right now it's using the same effect as the party-effect version. It's something that needs fixing, and it's already been reported.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    There is no shortage of available loot in the game. Neera (or any wild Mage) occasionally costing the party some money is an interesting quirk and challenge, but not really a big deal.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    Just wanna mention that there is only a 0.05% chance that losing money will happen whenever you cast a spell. I played through the whole game and only had a few dozen wild surges, none of which were the money one. But I did make a lot of squirrels. In any case, hardly unplayable.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    JFSOCC said:

btw, that makes a wild mage completely unusuable, IMO.

Trust me, you will NOT find yourself without enough gold in Baldur's Gate. It's not uncommon to finish the game with enough gold to buy the entire inventory of every store in existence.
    It's a bigger deal in BG2, where a major quest actually requires you to have a certain amount of gold available. But in BG1, there's really no need for gold beyond resurrection spells and the odd trinket you can only get by buying it.
    Here's my question: Shouldn't the gold loss be limited to what Neera would be carrying on her? If you divide the party's gold evenly should you lose, at most, 1/6th the party's gold? Less if you realize she'd probably carry gems and trade goods instead of actually gold pieces.
    I'd favor it being reduced to 20% instead of 80 (and actually, I'd favor it having a cap on how much it can destroy--such as "All your gold or 5,000, whichever's less"), but that's a discussion that's been had over and over again, and the general consensus seems to be that no one can agree on what it should be. ;)
  • SidekickSidekick Member Posts: 13
    Its really just a useless mechanic because if you don't want to lose the gold you just quicksave all the time and load when you lose it. But I guess this can be applied to all of the "awry" results. I guess its just an annoying thing about being/using a wildmage.
  • digitalbladedigitalblade Member Posts: 5
    ARe you FUCKING KIDDIGN ME I lost 60 000 gold cause I used your SHIT wild mage from EE for 1 hour.... I ... ah... no NO FUCK OFF never buying an other EE. You fucked the game up. 60 000 for a mage that shits her pants 90% of the time.....
  • digitalbladedigitalblade Member Posts: 5
    You know what I am loading hours of game play back and I am killing every single NPC added from the EE. Total genocide to Wilde mages..... I am an adventurer not an idiot.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Looking forward to SoD I keep my money in jewels... and the jewels are often in a barrel somewhere...
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    I have a vague memory that pretty much the first thread I read on this site was a long discussion about whether Beamdog should nerf the gold loss in BG2EE to prevent the possibility of players being unable to pay Gaelan Bayle the required 15k. I can see that the mechanic could be annoying to new players, but it's not really a big issue for more experienced players - as @Mantis37 suggests you can just keep your wealth in other forms until you need it.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Just like in the real world companies buy works of art as collateral adventurers can probably tote around light magic items as currency as well too ;).