Skip to content

Why all the hate on Khalid?

DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
I j-j-just don't understand it... So he's got a little speech impediment that goes along with his anxiety, big deal. I found he's most useful in my party if I use him as an archer, but I've also used him as a tank, so he's very versatile. Also, I get a kick out it when he goes "WHAAAAAAGGHHem... um... yes?" lol

But I think his hot wife is a b*tch. She definately wears the pants in that relationship... maybe that's part of the reason too, he's kinda spineless "Better part of valor! Better part of valor!"

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    His morale checks are pretty bad. I don't like a tank that will run away when he dips below 50% health, and I don't view him or Jaheira as particularly effective party members in BG1.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited December 2012
    I like Khalid as a character.

As a member of my party whose survival depends on everyone pulling their weight, I consider him slightly less useful than an unpolished stone.

Because at least a stone you can throw at your enemies.

Truthfully, he's not terrible. If you give him the gauntlets of dexterity he makes an excellent archer; if you give him the gauntlets of strength he makes a solid front-liner.

But that's the thing. Anyone is good with those items. The fact that Khalid needs them to be viable makes him less useful to me as a character. I endure his presence because I like keeping the continuity, but if I were playing for combat viability, I'd dump him for Kivan almost immediately.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    "Better part of valor! Better part of valor!"

nuff said.

He does have a lot of character, which is more important than being statistically 'awesome'. Without flavor everyone seems the same. It's kinda funny that he's a Fighter yet a coward.
  • faceless1963faceless1963 Member Posts: 143
    right from the start u have with khalid a melee-fighter with funny devot behaviour. but i agree - after a few hours playing he starts to get boring so i pushed him out of my party. i like playing with gilrs so i appriciate this b*tch from the graveyard. i don't remember her name. she always battle with the partymembers which have the "gesinnung" neutral or better :)
  • HeliasHelias Member Posts: 112
    Khalid is not really that bad. But for good parties there just is much better on offer: Kivan, Coran and Minsc have better stats than Khalid.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Give him the Kiel's funky hat, and he's simply a middling combatant. Give him the belt of Fisting and Gauntlets of Brawling and he's a beast.... But Kagain's still better in every way that's important. As is Yeslick. As is Kivan, as is Coran.

Ultimately, he's a crutch character, a security blanket for a young charname, to be cast aside for better as soon as possible.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I like the reluctant warrior side. Trained in weapons, but not in love with fighting. Yes, his speech is annoying, but I tolerate quite well. Besides, if he's good enough for Jaheira, he must be good people!
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    When I played the game for the first time, his cowardice drove me mad. Due to that wuss breaking ranks, Minsc and my Charname got into much serious trouble (I kept him because he's one of Gorion's pals). Now, with higher Charisma, he's not much of a problem
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    I just can't stand his stutter. That's really all there is to it. The stutter is badly acted and obviously fake. It breaks suspension of disbelief and gets under my skin too much and too fast.
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    @SirK8 That's awesome, Jaheira huh? Trollop...
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Haters always needs a punching bag. That's all there is to it.
  • Aron_TimesAron_Times Member Posts: 18
    I played BG2 before BG1, so Khalid's permadeath in BG2 had no emotional impact on me. Okay, so a woman lost her husband permanently, but since it was the first time I played with Jaheira, it didn't have such a big impact.

Now that I've played BG1, Khalid's (and Dynaheir's) death becomes much more meaningful. I actually liked Khalid in BG1, and I can only imagine how Jaheira feels.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Khalid and Jaheira are both Half-Elves.. half elves aren't really beneficial in any way

Other fighters like Kagain and Shar Teel are better in comparison. Package deals are also lame, Khalid would be employed much more if he wasn't tied up to Jaheira and vice versa.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited December 2012
    His wife Jaheira is needed as a healer and folks therefore often consider Khalid as baggage, paired up as they are. That's the real reason people have him go sleep-walking naked in bear territory. I don't think he would have developed the rep he has in forum communities if he hadn't been paired with one of the game's best healers (especially one so easily available early on).

I like Khalid. I find his personality reassuring and endearing. He's a very respectable tank as well.

I've almost never seen a morale failure from him. I've seen it just as often from other NPCs when they're are hanging to life by a thread.

Anyway, I don't split up Jaheira and Khalid. I pretty much just use them to complete the Nashkel mines, though. Like Minsc, I've played with them many, many times, so I don't use them very often anymore. I'd rather try out other NPCs.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    I really like Khalid; not a fan of Jaheira, though. She's too pushy, too judgy.

I always try to make a spot for Khalid, but I can never commit to it. As has been pointed out, other characters fill his role better.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Sir snivellus is always bassilisk bait in every game of mine.
  • lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225
    Khalid's a solid Fighter. He's not awesome, but he's not pathetic, either. He actually has decent CON and DEX, making him a good tank. He's a workable archer, though both Coran and Kivan are so much better at it that keeping him around for that is not exactly a smart idea.

Give him the Gauntlets of Ogre Power or the Big-fisted Belt, and he's great.

The only real contenders against Khalid's spot as a tank are Ajantis, Yeslick and Kagain. They all need the DEX gloves to even function as tanks. Ajantis is OK with his 17 Str, though it does hurt. Kagain desperately needs the Big-fisted Belt to really do well, and Yeslick could also make good use of it (though he can make it up with spells). Khalid can make do with just the Gauntlets of Ogre Power, though, freeing the DEX gloves up for someone else. That said, Kagain with the Gauntlets of Dexterity and the Big-fisted Belt is the best in that role, though Yeslick with the same items add Cleric flexibility. Ajantis is the weakest of the tank-focused warriors, even if you give him both the belt and the gauntlets--his 16 CON hurts him.

The pure clerics--Branwen and Viconia--can also tank, after a fashion, but with the lower HD and their relatively low CON, they aren't fantastic at it.
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    Because he made romancing his wife so much harder in BG2 :P

Anyway, I only keep him on my paladin's party for story continuity. And Branwen is more appealing healer imo.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Khalid doesn't have morale breaks as long as you keep a high charisma party member in the lead position. I've played with him all the way up to the gates of Baldur's Gate City without a single morale break. He's a very good fighter, with the ability to grandmaster longswords within the xp cap of BG1.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    There's a mod that restores his class to Fighter/Mage (which it was going to be before BG originally released.) Try it out... tell me he's useless with this correction.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Dazzu said:

There's a mod that restores his class to Fighter/Mage (which it was going to be before BG originally released.) Try it out... tell me he's useless with this correction.

Wouldn't the stutter cause wild surges whenever he tried casting?

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Take a neutral character. A character that very boring and average. Then give him traits that make him annoying.

In a sit down pen and paper game he'd probably be a riot. But he didn't transition well.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    He's a single class fighter who's deficient in the areas that are most crucial to a fighter - 'nuff said!
  • SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    He's a royal pain in the ass.
    Need I say more?
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Pantalion said:

Dazzu said:

Wouldn't the stutter cause wild surges whenever he tried casting?

He really only stutters on his first word so I'm sure he'd have worked around it.
  • davidthegnomedavidthegnome Member Posts: 37

Khalid and Jaheira are both Half-Elves.. half elves aren't really beneficial in any way

Other fighters like Kagain and Shar Teel are better in comparison. Package deals are also lame, Khalid would be employed much more if he wasn't tied up to Jaheira and vice versa.

Well, half-elves do get a 30% resistance to sleep and charm spells. So half-elves actually better than humans in BG, except that they can't dual class.

The inseparable duos can be frustrating when your party only needs one of them, but it does add a bit to the feeling that they are real people- after all you couldn't expect an adventurer to be willing to leave their adventurer spouse behind.

Overall I like Khalid as a character. The 15 strength is a bit of a liability early on, but even w/o the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength, his weapon proficiencies will eventually make him a decent enough hitter to serve as a tank.

In BG it is actually rather difficult to narrow down my choice to a party of six. I like most of the NPCs and almost wish I could take them all with me in one massive disfunctional party.

• MythMyth Member Posts: 4
    Who needs a fighter with only 15 strength? Nobody, that's who. I could even live with that, but I hate his wife. I have always hated Jaheira, with a burning passion. That pushy voice acting just rustles my jimmies.

The funny thing is that morale is a non-issue for me, since I usually roll stats until I get decent Charisma, and remove fear is a part of my standard wake up buffs.