Skip to content

Sendai as a joinable NPC in BG2 Enhanced Edition

ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
edited October 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I've always thought that Sendai should logically be able to join the party in Throne of Bhaal. I mean she actually says in game that "you would have made a great ally to our cause." Her motivation for supporting the 5 is that she wants to become a demi-god. In supporting you, she could arguably still achieve that goal, especially if you accept the option to become the new god of murder, so it totally makes sense in storyline that she would want to join the party. Certainly, it would make sense as an alternative to death.

If it is too difficult to change the sequence where she dies, then maybe one could be added afterwards where she could be resurrected and relinquishes her Bhaal essence like Sarevok does.

I created an extra copy of Sendai with cheats in Shadows of Amn and used the ctrl q cheat to add her to my party and then played her through the end of Throne of Bhaal. In my opinion, she is 2nd only to Viconia as the most fun NPC to have in my party and for advanced characters (who have completed multiple playthroughs) she is one of the few competent enough to justify including in my party. I just wish there was a way to add her in without cheats, so that she could have dialogue and function the same way as other NPCs. I think the game would be much more fun if there was.

Comments

• EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Come on, really ?
    I like Drow race, but his is very bad idea.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    That's just not possible, due to contract limitations. They can add content to the game, but anything that substantially changes the storyline is ruled out.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    did you know that there is actually someone named sendai in bg 1? she is the person who wears the studded leather +2 and has a longsword +1, most crazy indeed
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Edvin said:

Come on, really ?
    I like Drow race, but his is very bad idea.

Why is it a "bad idea?" I mean, do you just not like her as a character or is there some larger reason that you think this wouldn't work?

Kilivitz said:

That's just not possible, due to contract limitations. They can add content to the game, but anything that substantially changes the storyline is ruled out.

Thanks for your input. I didn't know that. Oh, well. Maybe someone will be nice and make her into a mod instead.
    sarevok57 said:

did you know that there is actually someone named sendai in bg 1? she is the person who wears the studded leather +2 and has a longsword +1, most crazy indeed

Yeah, I know. She's in a small group of hunters or something in the countryside down near Nashkel, if I remember correctly. I didn't think anything of her until I went back to playing BG1 after completing Throne of Bhaal and then was a little surprised. Unfortunately the two have nothing to do with each other.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    yeah rumor has it that some times the developers dont put much effort into their back story to see if things match, and i think this is one of those times like the other post talking about the letter in gorion's room and then having the convo with the planetar in ToB about gorion
    Granted, there are a few plot holes between BG1 and ToB.

@ARKdeEREH I don't recall ever seeing a joinable Sendai mod, but there's one for Solaufein, one of the drows you meet in the Underdark. Probably not what you're looking for, but worth mentioning anyway.
    Kilivitz said:

Granted, there are a few plot holes between BG1 and ToB.

@ARKdeEREH I don't recall ever seeing a joinable Sendai mod, but there's one for Solaufein, one of the drows you meet in the Underdark. Probably not what you're looking for, but worth mentioning anyway.

I've heard of the Soulaufein mod, but unfortunately Solaufein is neutral aligned. I play with an evil party, and since drow are supposed to mostly be evil I've always thought it would be fun and make sense to have a party of evil drow. The two characters that already exist in game that I think would be the most fun to have as NPCs are Sendai and Phaere. I've looked, but as far as I can tell neither of them has been modded into an NPC. There are plently of people talking about doing in so in forums like this one, but unfortunately no one seems to have actually done it. I've played with both Sendai and Phaere in my party via the crtl q cheat, and it felt much more fun and fulfilling than killing them, but it would be nice if there were a way to do it without cheats, particularly since this sometimes leads to glitches when cheats are used.

edited October 2012
    @ARKdeEREH An all-evil, all-Drow party sounds like a fun concept. Though I'd be hard-pressed to believe such a group would be allowed anywhere near Suldanesselar, or even tasked with retrieving the Rynn Lanthorn.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    I thougt this was about BG1 Sendai. She is from Amn so it should be very likely that you meet her in BG2 if you don't kill her in 1
    Kilivitz said:

@ARKdeEREH An all-evil, all-Drow party sounds like a fun concept. Though I'd be hard-pressed to believe such a group would be allowed anywhere near Suldanesselar, or even tasked with retrieving the Rynn Lanthorn.

Yeah, that could be a problem. Alternatively, maybe there could be a way to trick the surface elves into thinking the party are also surface elves, just like the drow in Ust Natha are made to think you're drow. Or maybe there could be an alternate path out of the Underdark, or maybe there could be an evil option to just slaughter Elhan and his followers and complete the rest of the quest without him. Idk, any number of ideas might work, but I like the idea of having a drow party more than I like Elhan.

edited October 2012
    @ARKdeEREH I like your ideas a lot. Makes for a true evil path, something a lot of players find to be lacking. Some willing modder should check out this thread.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    I really liked when you go and attack Sendai's stronghold in ToB, because those little cutscenes of her talking with her commander and illithid really let you appreciate how much intimidation your reputation carries. I cant remember the specifics, but I thought you could ask her to join you, and she denies your offer by saying that you're too powerful to not consider betraying her...
    The only real time I could consider her working on the same side as you is if they took a different direction with the Ascension mod, and instead of having to fight the resurrected Bhaalspawn, you could persuade them to fight on your side against Melissan. I mean think about it: Melissan isnt even a bhallspawn, she betrayed Bhaal, and now she thinks she can claim the prize that you've all fought for? Even though you killed them, they all understood the fairness of it all being about who among you could prove that they're the best. They'd maybe need a bit of a power-boost so that Melissan doesn't just kill them outright XD

PS: Romantic Encounters added a scene with Sendai. Just sayin ;)
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Honestly this would be a great twist, especially if you mix it with ascension. Evil gets Sendai, Good gets Balthazaar; and Neutral doesn't care.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    This could potentially work out great but a lot of professional voice acting and professional-level writing would have to be done for such a mod to be any good.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Voice acting
    It's not necessary to do much writing, since it already happens at the end of ToB, and she has good reasons to join you
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I think the cast is fairly memorable. Sendai arrives far too late in the Saga to have the same dialogue/impact as the other characters, and if they did push in a lot of dialogue for her to 'even out' her level of interactivity with that of the other NPCs, it would become overbearing, as she would need to have something to say about literally anything.
    And we've already got our token (and wonderful) party Drow. Sendai deserves to die for getting in your way!
  • AethernautAethernaut Member Posts: 60
    I'd rather evil got Sarevok or a corrupted Imoen as exarch (assuming they were the only choices).
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    lol No, this is a bad idea, if only because it doesn't add anything to the experience. Of course, I guess if you don't mind your BG2 playthrough becoming Dragonball Z, this is okay, I suppose.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    I do like the idea of allowing us to ascend a willing companion to Exarch though...