Skip to content

Help on how to install mods pleases~

IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547
I need a Complete Moron's Guide on How to install Mods in BG1 or 2 ._.

Please and thank you~

(I already googled, nothing made sense.)

Comments

• ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    The stickied thread in the modding subforum; http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6950/player-how-to-getting-mods-to-work-on-bgee/p1 explains everything in a pretty moron-proof way. Doing this will set up the game so it will accept mods.
    Installing the mods themselves is usually just putting something in the override folder or running an .exe. The instructions vary and are usually with the mods.

If this isn't for EE, forget the first bit, and just read the readme that comes with the mods. G3 is down at the moment, so you will have to find some other site or mirror to G3, which I don't have on me right now.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    The mirror site of G3 is a bit crappy, cause it hosts only some long gone revisions of most of the mods. You'll barely found a real mirror or it takes very specific google-skills *lol* took me 3hours to get the SCSII v21 revision, which was hosted by some German guy.

Else, what he said...for BG2 you really don't need specific knowledge, you unpack the installer in your BG2 folder..it usually auto-starts and you are good to go. Only in some cases, where you have different mods it might collide. In my case some mods using an older WeiDU installer never replaced their own installer as scripted. So I had to get the weidu file myself and rename it etc...

It really depends on what you are trying to install....

And it 's a bit important to have an order in which you install some mods, like bg2-tweak/fixpack coupled with mods that might rely on them or modify files thereafter.
  • IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547
    Thanks guys!

I'm just trying to install extra-character mods and the explainations for them are to install that WeiDU thing that I tried to to use but I don't get how :|

I'm just trying to install extra-character mods and the explainations for them are to install that WeiDU thing that I tried to to use but I don't get how :|

For BGEE or BG2 ?

For fucks sake, just name it already and specifically for BG1(EE) or BG2? :P

If it does indeed collide in that case with other mods, I could send you the link to the up-to-date weidu installer (or have it locally as well), that file should be replaced or renamed; but as it sounds you only want to install 1 mod? Yet, it's unclear for which of them..and it's more or less major important - given that BGEE uses the BG2 file structure and you have to do some modifcation as well.

edited December 2012

in BG1 or 2

>.>

Both are preferred but mainly after BG2.

And, character mods from Spellhold Studios @valky.

I don't get what WeiDU does or what I'm meant to do with it or where to put it.
    I'll try hard in my kinda half-drunken state:

First off, using in my BG2 game also 1 spellhold-NPC-mod (Beyond the law <3).
    They usually come with an up-to-date installer included and if you have _no_ other mods you won't have any problem. Just start that installer, point to your main-BG2-directory (in my case: "d:\Games\BGII - SoA\" ) and it unpacks the file and you should get at this point the DOS-box-like installer.
    There you should get asked, what language you are in and alike and if you want to install that mod.

IF the installer does not start, you should see 'weird' files in your BG2 directory like: "setup-xxx.exe" that'd be your mod you are trying to install.

It's really a bit hard to describe otherwise :)

Don't mind the WeiDu stuff, it only affects different kind of mods, or mods that are barely getting updated. In that case the installer just shows you some tiny black-box (the DOS screen) and is finished and thereafter the installerfile is gone, cause it couldn't updated it.

[you reminds me a bit at my ex-GF ^^ no offense...had to take control of her PC via console to get her stupid WoW installation done without bugging the shit out of the internet with a shitload of virus' - again: no offense meant! :>]

If it doesn't help; I might backup my BG2 folder...you name me the mod(s) which you are about to install, and I give you a step-by-step-solution, or I'll try :)
    I was following perfectly until you said "Point to your main BG2 directory and it unpacks the file". I haven't slept in hours so I'm struggling a lot with my english XD AND I SPEAK ONLY ENGLISH :(

Oh, okay.
    I think I need a video :| VIDEOS R GEWD

Oh, okay then! :D

Hey! I wouldn't say I was being THAT difficult and brainless! D:
    I can install WoW just fine on my own >.>

I think that might be nessecary @valky, if I can't has videoz xD
    d00h and I try to maintain 'nearly' good English even if it's only my fav. 2nd language.
    Just get yourself drunk like I do..so we might write again tomorrow :P I think it's not really important to get your mod running today.

Still it puzzles me..you got your file from spellholds, that should be an *.exe file...if you start it, it SHOULD ask you where the fuck your BG2 directory is - in case you didn't chose the common install and it is somewhere else.
    So all you have to do is to click that friggin' button to chose that directory on yer own. I really start to think that doing a video guide is any better than to write something.

The worst case-scenario: There are quite some nice products to let me see your desktop or what-you-are-about-to-do without interfering. They are virus/trojan-proof and we can communicate with an in-built chat, though I'd need to check, which I was using in my last job..cause that tool was awesome, but limited to trial usage at home. (software support shit ^^). Else I'd have to write some novel, like I already do, just to point you into some direction....kinda
    Oh I've managed to just go with a retard's instinct and stick the file in the BG2 TOB folder and press EXE and it worked. ._.
    Well, it SAYS it's installed. TRYING TO FIND SAERILITH FOR THE LOLS. Can't find her Mod anywhere anymore :|
    edited December 2012
    am silent now..retard-style beats me :P
    :D I'm so cool.

That awkward moment I open Bg2 and the Mods haven't worked. FINGERS CROSSED THAT THEY DO WORK :C
    you INSTALLED Saeriwhooriwitch? OMG....I need more beer; a fucking 15 year old paladin, who doesn't really know where she belongs to and annoys you with yer stupid life-story once in a while (~every 5 minutres)
    It's one of the worst NPC mods ever...IMO
    That's why I want her because she's so bad LOL.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    @Icecreamtub

Are you familiar with winrar or winzip files? and what they do?

Basically the exe's you download for the mods are essentially exe versions of a zip or rar file. You point it at your BG2 folder (where the baldur.exe is) like you would point an expansion if you were installing one. Okay?

Then you hit "next" - it will then extract or unpack everything for you into the bg2 folder. It then SHOULD run a Dos Prompt window to actually install the mod.
    Ya know a black window than asks you stuff?

Most BG mods will follow a similar format when installing.

It was be like "Do you want to install -this mod-?"
    (I)nstall everything, (A)sk for each component, or (N)ot install.
    You just hit the corresponding key. I, A, or N.

The readme for most mods also has more detailed instructions on what each "component" of the mod does, allowing you to pick and choose which parts you want (if you are installing a mod like BG2 tweaks or something).

If the dos prompt window doesn't run, then the mod isn't installed. You will have to go to the BG2 folder and look for the mod's exe file. Don't worry it will have the name of the mod in the file. Run that file, and it should run the Dos Prompt window and allow you to install the mod.

Uh, I hope that is clear enough.
    @fitscotgaymer

Thank you for the help!

Though, I regret to tell you I have already installed the mods! However I'm really greatful ^^

Now if only the mods didn't interfere with the soundset settings in-game... Or maybe it's just one particular mod.
    with the sound set settings...

NPC mods shouldn't do that.
    Late reply, I know.

Anywho, @fitscotgaymer Installing that Paladin with the edited voice caused all other NPCs in my game talk with the same weird pitch she had. .___.
    Necromancer!

Eek!

*hides*
    @fitscotgaymer

Oooopsies xD