Skip to content

Any way to turn off cleric's automatic healing?

here's my problem:

I'm using two clerics, my main and Yeslick. the former is set to fighter aggressive script (fighter1), the latter goes with slings, so ranged script (arang) - nowhere near cleric scripts or anything involving healing.
yet every goddamn time someone gets below a certain HP threshold (haven't figured out the exact numbers yet), one of 'em drops everything and hits the person with the best healing spell available. wyvern wailing on you in near death status? no problem. being poisoned from the same wyvern? no biggie. the character you want to heal running from you, because she's set to ranged script, so tries to get away from enemies, while you're going in for a hug with a *goddamn wyvern on your ass*? ehh, whatever.

so, to get to the point: it's driving me nuts, and my characters are nonstop wasting their healing spells on useless bullshit, ofter overhealing, and even more often just messing it up, because I can't see that what the hell they're trying to do, and interrupt it.

is there any way to turn this off, *without* turning AI off? I like my team automatically beating the living crap out of my enemies, but this healing thing annoying as hell, and I'm pretty sure there was nothing along these lines in BG1/BG2.

Comments

• hzfhzf Member Posts: 70
    I cannot give you a good answer, but if you turn off the AI then your characters do still auto-attack. They just attack the nearest target with the weapon that they have equipped, and then you can cast all spells manually.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    I never, ever use the AI. You the gamer should be able to make far better tactical decisions than the computer.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    edited December 2012
    looks like I managed to solve it in a quick and dirty way - wizard berserk works similarly than (or is it "to"? my english grammar sucks ass sometimes) the fighter aggressive script, except it doesn't have that particular bit of stupidity in it.

@atcDave: a well equipped team tends to kill things faster than you can switch targets, so autoattack scripts are a godsend. for everything else though, yeah, I'm pretty sure nobody in their right mind would trust a wizard to scripts.
    Post edited by DinsdalePiranha on
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited December 2012
    I checked with NearInfinity and it looks like only the following scripts include automatic healing:

CLERIC2, CLERIC3 and FIGHTER1
    @Erg: awesome, thank you!
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153

@atcDave: a well equipped team tends to kill things faster than you can switch targets, so autoattack scripts are a godsend. for everything else though, yeah, I'm pretty sure nobody in their right mind would trust a wizard to scripts.

I believe auto-pause: enemy destroyed accomplishes the same thing. I've had some pretty awesome mass annihilations of gibberlings and xvarts that way! At any rate, I'm too much of a micro-manager to let the computer run it either way.
    atcDave said:

I believe auto-pause: enemy destroyed accomplishes the same thing. I've had some pretty awesome mass annihilations of gibberlings and xvarts that way! At any rate, I'm too much of a micro-manager to let the computer run it either way.
    yeah, but so do scripts - and they don't require nearly as much clicking :)
  • AlsnAlsn Member Posts: 97
    edited December 2012
    Actually, your party will automatically attack the next target of the same type(e.g. if you kill a goblin, all characters who were attacking that goblin will try and find another goblin to smash) even if the AI is turned off. The key is that they will only do so if you issued the attack order while having more than one character selected(which means it doesn't work while soloing which I hate - weird behaviour, but it's how it works). The exception being sleeping enemies, for some reason they will not keep attacking them.

For that reason, I generally play with AI completely turned off. The only time I want my people to automatically acquire their own target is when fighting tons of annoying cannon fodder type enemies(KOBOLDS!) but in that situation having the AI off works just as well for the above mentioned reason. If my fighters are attacking something difficult I generally want to keep ordering them around after they kill it anyway.