Skip to content

I gotta be honest about this game

13»

Comments

• ObedMarshObedMarsh Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2012
    I gotta say... still have the nagging feeling I get everytime someone tries to screw me over. If a working matchmaking/multiplayer hub isn't here by January I'm gonna have to label beamdog as yet another scam trying to make a quick buck. 20+ bucks to learn that fact is something I would love to have avoided though.
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    edited December 2012
    Solobear said:

ObedMarsh said:

When did it become a trend to release buggy computer games, that aren't even close to ready and expect people to have eternal frickin patience?

Diablo III would like a word with you.
    as would Ultima 8 - 9, fallout new vegas, borderlands 2, Left 4 dead, and many more.

Developers have a limited amount of time to work on their games, and an even smaller amount to test them. This game was overhaul's first project so they had to release it as soon as possible for obvious reasons.

Games get released in a buggy state because they get rushed out the door by the publisher. This doesn't make the game bad.. I have played all the games listed above after they had fixes and the games were worth it in the end. (except for ultima 9, there is no saving that crap)

What makes a game bad is the design; the limited fun factor that you see in so many console games nowadays, and games that receive little or no support after release. Overhaul has done a great job at patching the game so far and in a game like BG the singleplayer needs to be fixed before the multiplayer.

I am sure that they intended multiplayer to be finished at release, and yes it was wrong of them to not say anything before the release.

But the risk of preordering a game is the fact that you don't know what the product is really going to be. This is why i only preorder games i know that i will like no matter how good or bad the release is.

@Zivaneklose
    I don't understand how you can feel "cheated" by this game because one feature is missing. Multiplayer will come out, and it won't be very long. They've patched the crap out of the game since release, and have only stopped these past few weeks because of the holidays.

If you really don't like the game because you didn't get exactly what you want, and when you wanted it. Then get a refund, and stop posting constantly about it on the forums.

@ObedMarsh
    And how exactly is the game you paid for a scam?

if it were a scam they would have taken your money and you wouldn't have received anything
    It's a scam because when I transferred the amount from my account to theirs, I thought I could log in and matchmake and start playing. As weve gone over several times now... because that's what the website said. If you read up on this thread it's pretty crystal clear why were feeling "scammed". I just have the sneaking suspicion that matchmaking is at least 3 months away, it's TOR after release all over again.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    Lol did that 20$ really break you guys, come on there is new content and re-energized player base. If they make money then we get to see the other infinity games as well, that were not nearly as modded, and could really use the EE versions. Furthermore this is really all about seeing what kind of numbers they can expect for Bg3 if they don't see the numbers we don't see the game so stop QQ the game is well worth it.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If it were a scam, they wouldn't have apologized and updated their website, and they would have announced that "all sales are final".

If you really can't wait for the matchmaking, you can always ask for a refund.

I can understand people being impatient or frustrated, but the conspiracy theories and "scam-shouting" is really growing tiresome.
    I didn't say I considered them scammers... yet. Read my post again, the only reason I repeated it and even mentioned the word "scam" is because he asked me and kept using it, if he would have read the thread abit more it would have been obvious to him. Strangely enough were not the people keeping this thread alive.
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    edited December 2012
    zealer said:

When you pre-order a game you don't take a gamble, you pay for the game with the features they listed, and they did list the enhanced multiplayer as a feature.

Yes and No. Pre-ordering a game based on what features were announced, should not be treated as a 'guarantee,' especially if you are an avid gamer familiar with the way these things go. Time and time again, devs/pubs say their game will have this and that, building up the hype, and then the game launches not as they have been describing.

When a player chooses to pre-order, they are basically saying "I don't care about reviews, just take my money, I want your game." You are so 'sold' on the game before actually playing it, that you have already made the decision to buy it before experiencing it first hand. Achieving this goal (having people dedicate to buy before release) is something devs/pubs strive for, so marketing can and will typically build up a lot of hype, which may or may not be 100% accurate. This isn't to say that they are deliberately lying just to get your money, but sometimes things can appear one way and turn out another. In the case of BGEE, perhaps MP was looking good. perhaps they underestimated the hurdles they would have to overcome, and spoke too soon when they announced enhanced MP.

The bottom line is this - form an ethics standpoint, a game company should never 'jump the gun' and announce things that might change. Whatever features are announced to be included in the initial release, should indeed be present. However, ethics and business are like oil in water many times, so from a business standpoint, guaranteeing profit through pre-order's may take precedence over being 100% accurate on what will and will not be included in the game. Perhaps later down the line, MP will be fixed and fixed well at that. Through a play on words then, one could say that BGEE did indeed have enhanced MP.

Much of the 'disappointment' people exclaim from games, comes down to perception. Some people are expecting games to be exactly like they envisioned it would be, where anything less won't do, or point out every little flaw. Others (like myself) approach from a more of a realist view - they understand people aren't perfect, mistakes occur, deadlines might not get met, and shit happens. It seems some people are deliberately setting themselves up for disappointment, by either being overly-passionate (and over-reacting when faced with flaws) or downright naive in their expectations (and where they're not met.)

The main point I am trying to make is that pre-ordering a game is always a gamble. Even if the game has everything it said it would, it could be riddled with bugs, poorly optimized, or even an extremely polished, yet shallow and boring game. You're never gonna know what you get until after you get it.

Post edited by H0RSE on
    H0RSE said:

zealer said:

When you pre-order a game you don't take a gamble, you pay for the game with the features they listed, and they did list the enhanced multiplayer as a feature.

Yes and No. Pre-ordering a game based on what features were announced, should not be treated as a 'guarantee,' especially if you are an avid gamer familiar with the way these things go. Time and time again, devs/pubs say their game will have this and that, building up the hype, and then the game launches not as they have been describing.

When a player chooses to pre-order, they are basically saying "I don't care about reviews, just take my money, I want your game." You are so 'sold' on the game before actually playing it, that you have already made the decision to buy it before experiencing it first hand. Achieving this goal (having people dedicate to buy before release) is something devs/pubs strive for, so marketing can and will typically build up a lot of hype, which may or may not be 100% accurate. This isn't to say that they are deliberately lying just to get your money, but sometimes things can appear one way and turn out another. In the case of BGEE, perhaps MP was looking good. perhaps they underestimated the hurdles they would have to overcome, and spoke too soon when they announced enhanced MP.

The bottom line is this - form an ethics standpoint, a game company should never 'jump the gun' and announce things that might change. Whatever features are announced to be included in the initial release, should indeed be present. However, ethics and business are like oil in water many times, so from a business standpoint, guaranteeing profit through pre-order's may take precedence over being 100% accurate on what will and will not be included in the game. Perhaps later down the line, MP will be fixed and fixed well at that. Through a play on words then, one could say that BGEE did indeed have enhanced MP.

Much of the 'disappointment' people exclaim from games, comes down to perception. Some people are expecting games to be exactly like they envisioned it would be, where anything less won't do, or point out every little flaw. Others (like myself) approach from a more of a realist view - they understand people aren't perfect, mistakes occur, deadlines might not get met, and shit happens. It seems some people are deliberately setting themselves up for disappointment, by either being overly-passionate (and over-reacting when faced with flaws) or downright naive in their expectations (and where they're not met.)

The main point I am trying to make is that pre-ordering a game is always a gamble. Even if the game has everything it said it would, it could be riddled with bugs, poorly optimized, or even an extremely polished, yet shallow and boring game. You're never gonna know what you get until after you get it.

Give me a break, it's a very nice text wall but there are no frickin devs who post a concrete feature as one of the biggest lures on the sales website and then fails to implement it when the game is launched. Frankly I'm getting a little tired of defending myself from ppl who seem to reside far up beamdogs backside and I'm not interested in getting every damn comment I made on these forums dissected by neither Aosaw or any other fanboys.

IMPLEMENT THE FRICKIN FEATURE WE PAYED MONEY FOR OR GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK SCAMMERS. Let me guess no refund right? Aw what a frickin surprise.

And since you like this word so much, here it is one final time for ya, since you HAD to keep pushing me.

BEAMDOG = SCAMMERS/HUSTLERS/BAMBOOZLERS/THIEVES go ahead and pick one.

And give me a frickin break Aosaw, are you their spokesperson or aren't you and if your not can we get a real one out here who has the balls to take some responsibility?
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    edited December 2012
    ObedMarsh said:

Give me a break, it's a very nice text wall but there are no frickin devs who post a concrete feature as one of the biggest lures on the sales website and then fails to implement it when the game is launched.

Actually, features being announced as being included, and then getting changed or left out completely, is fairly common in the business, and not just with gaming either. After all, the game is merely a product, and they are trying to sell it. Is it an honest business practice? No, but then again, do you know the reasoning(s) behind the outcome? Did Beamdog have no intention of including multiplayer, and deliberately lie about including it, just to squeeze more sales out, or did they announce it with full confidence of including MP, and then ran into troubles later down the development cycle?

Frankly I'm getting a little tired of defending myself from ppl who seem to reside far up beamdogs backside and I'm not interested in getting every damn comment I made on these forums dissected by neither Aosaw or any other fanboys.
    First off, fanboy is a derogatory term, and your use of it strengthens your argument/point of view less. Second, it really isn't about fanboys vs non-fanboys/haters. I have seen a fair bit of objectivity coming from these posts, something a fanboy would lack in their arguments.

I'm not arguing that saying your game will have something and then not having it, isn't wrong. I'm trying to shed light on 2 subjects:

1. Their intentions for doing what they did - was it straight-out lying to secure more revenue form consumers, or a feature whose implementation was underestimated in development, and thus failed to become a reality in time?

2. After the fact, the reactions from players themselves vary drastically. There are those who seem to take it personal - like Beamdog stole their child or something, and react (as I see it) completely irrationally. Then there are those who find out and kinda just shrug their shoulders and sigh - these (I assume) are the ones you call 'fanboys.' I prefer to call them levelheaded, rational human beings. Do you think that because myself and others aren't mad as hell like you are over this, that it's because we are bias fanboys?
    IMPLEMENT THE FRICKIN FEATURE WE PAYED MONEY FOR OR GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK SCAMMERS. Let me guess no refund right? Aw what a frickin surprise.
    What if the MP does in fact get fixed, let's say within 6 months, was your overreacting and temper tantrums really worth it? Would you still be upset because, regardless of you getting what was "promised" to you, it was delivered late?

I (and I'm sure others) understand that you feel burned/cheated/hustled, etc. I get it - you're angry, but your negativity in both your tone and choice of words, aren't helping others to sympathize with you or even take your points of view seriously. You just come off as sounding (overly) entitled.

Post edited by H0RSE on
    edited December 2012
    @ObedMarsh, you've been issued a warning. It's the only one I'll be giving you; either keep your tone civil, or get out. If it wasn't abundantly clear before, I'm not a spokesman for Beamdog or Overhaul. I am, however, a moderator on these forums.

Come on, people. The developers are on holiday break. Maybe give them a few weeks in the actual office before setting fire to the world?
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    edited December 2012
    ObedMarsh said:

I didn't say I considered them scammers... yet. Read my post again, the only reason I repeated it and even mentioned the word "scam" is because he asked me and kept using it, if he would have read the thread abit more it would have been obvious to him. Strangely enough were not the people keeping this thread alive.

"If a working matchmaking/multiplayer hub isn't here by January I'm gonna have to label beamdog as yet another scam trying to make a quick buck."

It looks to me like you are calling them scammers.

Scam: A dishonest scheme; a fraud.

I do not think overhaul has been dishonest; nor is the game a fraud of what they promised.

One feature was left unimplimented in the initial release. They have stated many times that they intended for it to be there but have run into problems and it has been delayed. The only reason you could call them dishonest is for the lack of update on their main website which was unintentional.

You calling us fanboys is also very humorous. Not only have i never played an overhaul game (seeing as this is their first) i have also stated several times my distaste for certain aspects of the game. Never have i screamed and cried about it on the forums. I have also never made a thread specifically to rage about one thing i didn't like. There are times to state certain things that disappointed you. That is giving the developers feedback for their future projects. Dedicating your entire forum activity to complaining about the same thing while being rude and obnoxious to anyone who doesn't agree is completely different. You are doing nothing productive by being here, and aren't contributing anything positive to any discussion. If you are unhappy with Overhaul and BG:EE then get your refund and move on.
    Riolathel said:

ObedMarsh said:

"If a working matchmaking/multiplayer hub isn't here by January I'm gonna have to label beamdog as yet another scam trying to make a quick buck."

It looks to me like you are calling them scammers.

Scam: A dishonest scheme; a fraud.

I do not think overhaul has been dishonest; nor is the game a fraud of what they promised.

One feature was left unimplimented in the initial release. They have stated many times that they intended for it to be there but have run into problems and it has been delayed. The only reason you could call them dishonest is for the lack of update on their main website which was unintentional.

You calling us fanboys is also very humorous. Not only have i never played an overhaul game (seeing as this is their first) i have also stated several times my distaste for certain aspects of the game. Never have i screamed and cried about it on the forums. I have also never made a thread specifically to rage about one thing i didn't like. There are times to state certain things that disappointed you. That is giving the developers feedback for their future projects. Dedicating your entire forum activity to complaining about the same thing while being rude and obnoxious to anyone who doesn't agree is completely different. You are doing nothing productive by being here, and aren't contributing anything positive to any discussion. If you are unhappy with Overhaul and BG:EE then get your refund and move on.
    It's not a matter of you thinking they have been honest or not Riolathel, it's a fact that they werent. Since obviously I'm a pissed off customer who bought the game because of that fact.

I'm being "obnoxious" because of negative comments made from people like you, a flame is a flame no matter how nicely you put it or dress it up and you know that very well. It seems to me that suddenly people are treating others who compain about multiplayer as ragers or whiners on these forums and I've seen you side with them Aosaw. I call us people who have the sack to point out obvious lacks in a product we used our money on, lacks that were promised and not 6 months after release. how would you feel if you bought call of duty, installed the game and there was no MP would you accept this excuse?

"oh sry guys we forgot to fix multiplayer before release guys, our bad, but I'm sure you won't mind"

You would just smile on and enjoy your singleplayer experience right? Cuz your just that patient.

The reason I was rude Aosaw is because you seem to have the opinion that because someone apologized and explained why something was missing, everything is now ok and we definently shouldn't mention it, ever, again. Well I've listened to those excuses on TORs forums somewhere around 8 million times and I am very sorry if I don't just bend over and take it.

If they had a person who wasn't weirdly and indirectly involved with Beamdog, who came here and said something officially, offering refunds all around to those people that felt screwed I would have a hell of alot more faith in Beamdog. And when I said January I meant during the month of January, but trust me it will be 6 months after release if your lucky for a working matchmaking system. It's blandly predictable how this is gonna go along.

Feel free to ban me for this post, you don't really need an excuse anyway, since you control things here (even though you have absolutely nothing to do with Beamdog). I am afterall just another customer you couldn't give a damn about.

No, my stance is that once someone apologizes for something, the burden is on you to get over it.

If I trip and spill wine on your brand new shirt, and I apologize and offer to clean it up, I have done everything that I can to fix the situation. If you're still upset about it, that's your problem, not mine. This is kind of the same thing.

They advertised the game as having enhanced multiplayer and matchmaking support. Then, they ran out of development time and had to put the matchmaking on hold. They were very upfront about it when people who asked, and they posted things on twitter and those tweets were reposted on this forum several times in the weeks leading up to the release.

The only thing they didn't do was amend the website, which we now know based on Nathan's post earlier in this thread was an oversight. The website has since been updated, they have apologized profusely, and they're working on matchmaking in the hopes of bringing it live early this year.

So they've done everything they can do to make the situation "okay". Do you have a right to still be upset or frustrated? Sure; you paid for the product, after all, and you still want your matchmaking support, which is understandable.

But if you continue to rail against them and call them scammers and announce to everybody that this game was an attempt to make a quick buck and nothing more, you don't really have a leg to stand on. That would be like saying, after I spill wine on your shirt and apologize and clean it up with club soda, that I did it on purpose, when everyone in the room clearly saw me trip, clearly saw me apologize, and clearly saw me take measures to clean up the mess.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    ObedMarsh said:

If they had a person who wasn't weirdly and indirectly involved with Beamdog, who came here and said something officially, offering refunds all around to those people that felt screwed I would have a hell of alot more faith in Beamdog. And when I said January I meant during the month of January, but trust me it will be 6 months after release if your lucky for a working matchmaking system. It's blandly predictable how this is gonna go along.

They have already did....

Except sometimes the flute shoots fire at everyone.

Hi Friends,

[...]

We would like to apologize to anyone that has experienced issues, and pledge that we will do our best to help you either get your game running, or receive a refund. We love Baldur's Gate as much as the most die-hard fan, and we'll continue working on it for a long while because we believe both the game and the community deserve ongoing support. And keep in mind as we develop for Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition, we will be back-porting improvements from the sequel into Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

For those of you with Intel graphics chipsets, you'll be pleased to know that Cameron has acquired a pile of laptops with graphics chipsets similar to yours and he is currently working on a way to get the game running well on them. Some progress has already been made, and we hope to announce more information soon. If you would prefer not to wait, please contact support@beamdog.com and request a refund.

Having trouble contacting support@beamdog.com? Email overhaul@beamdog.com directly.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10108/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-status-update-december-3rd-2012/p1
    And here's the apology from Nathan about the multiplayer (It was in another thread, not this one as I had said before): http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/213509/#Comment_213509
    Nathan said:

@Xriah thanks for bringing this to our attention - not our intent to falsely advertise. To make a bit of an understatement - that's a pretty big oversight on our part, so our apologies! We didn't realize that particular statement was out of date and might have been misleading people. A change should be made soon. Cheers!

@VoidSorcerer I believe you're under some misconceptions with regards to the role that the moderators and beta testers have taken with this game. None of them are "covering up for us", nor have they ever been told to do so (let alone encouraged to do so). @Aosaw is doing the best he can with the information available to him - we're 12 people (seriously) and we can't be everywhere at once. Tagging me in the thread has brought it to our attention, so, a change will be made.

Likewise, as I have said many, many times: we're committed to improving the multiplayer functionality. We've made a number of patches to fix what was broken before, and have some more in the pipe. Yes, it definitely was not perfect at launch, which is unfortunate... but we'll fix it. Saying we're not willing to fix the problem is, in my eyes, quite disingenuous - aside from many statements by staff members (including myself, personally) I should hope our current track record of many patches solving issues would be enough to change your mind on that particular subject, but... clearly, that hasn't been the case.

Whatever your beef with the company, don't take it out on the moderators. If you want to rant and rave at us, and request a refund because you're fed up with our clear unwillingness to fix problems and let other people post the same garbage for us over and over again (to paraphrase), then please send us a message at support (at) beamdog.com or use the support link thing on the left side of the website directly to submit a ticket, and we'll try to accomodate you.

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I think this thread outlived its usefullness. This guy said:
    "I didn't say I considered them scammers... yet."
    then a few days later:
    "BEAMDOG = SCAMMERS/HUSTLERS/BAMBOOZLERS/THIEVES go ahead and pick one."
    Honestly, ask for your 20 bucks and stop trolling.
    While in December we saw 4 patches coming out.
    We know that multiplayer matchmaking is in the queue, they have written about it already.
    Obviously, single player bugs have a priority. Fun fact: they would affect multiplayer too.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @Avenger_teambg I agree.

@ObedMarsh You have recourse. Request a refund and be done with it. Closing this thread now.
This discussion has been closed.