Skip to content

Martial Arts

MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
edited January 2013 in Off-Topic
I haven't been back in a while but thought I'd pop in with a poll.

Firstly, happy new year!

Second... do you / have you ever practiced martial arts?
  1. Martial Arts48 votes
    1. Yes, I am a master of multiple styles and/or developed my own style(s).
        4.17%
    2. Yes, I am a master of at least one style.
        2.08%
    3. Yes, I am a serious student of one or more styles.
      22.92%
    4. Yes, but I have just started / not sure if I will continue.
      18.75%
    5. Yes, I had formal training through the military / law enforcement.
        6.25%
    6. No, I have never practiced martial arts.
        4.17%
    7. No, but I want to learn!
        8.33%
    8. I am unable to do martial arts.
        0.00%
    9. Other (post! :D)
        6.25%
    10. Bacon.
      27.08%

Comments

• MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I have had some training in martial arts (boxing, karate, judo) but I did not progress very far.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    I am novice (Yellow belt) of Tae kwon do.
    Well, that was a long time ago though.
    If available I wish to continue.
    @MedullaOblongata You can't participate your own poll, do you?
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    i was a yellow belt in tae kwon do as well.. about 7 years ago..

I only attended when i visited my dad which was 1-2 months out of the year and we went maybe once a week.
    Teflon
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    Teflon said:

@MedullaOblongata You can't participate your own poll, do you?

I do so all the time n_n
    Teflon
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited January 2013
    --double post--
    Post edited by Illustair on
    edited January 2013
    I trained in Karate for a few years. But I didn't like it that much, probably because I was still a kid back then...it was a waste of time, when I could be playing or hanging around with my friends. "Trained" is such a nice word.haha I couldn't find the appropriate poll choice, so I picked the closest. It's been too long for me to remember enough of it to be useful in real-life combat, so I guess it's a "no". But nowadays, I want to learn MMA or boxing.
    Post edited by Illustair on
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    I am a clearbelt in multiple styles, and have done martial arts for 9-10 years add 7 if school wreastling counts. Bando/boxing with Sam Jones, muay ti/jui-jitsu at columbus mma, and catch wreastling/sambo with Jeff Russle. We have a great mma comunity here in ohio relson gracie, gorge gergel, and hammerhouse are all here.

Amature mma fights:
    1. Matt Brown (exhibition) loss reff stop - I ground and pounded him the first round but gassed out the second round cause I had taken the fight a week before and didn't train. Matt just beat Mike Swik on fox the other night.

2.Ryan Bowersock win tko - I was told he was a golden gloves boxer but I tko him at the end the the first or second I can't remember.

3.Chad Heston win rear naked choke - He was a state wreastler and after some pummeling he got the take down; but I had placed my foot on the opposite side of him and launched him off like a catapult as soon as we hit the mat, I then mounted him and as wreastlers do he gave up his back.

I am trying to get back into fighting shape again I am getting old and If I want to do something in the sport need to act.
    IllustairTeflonMedullaOblongata
    @Chaotic_Good
    You do it for a living, or just a hobby? Either way, that's very cool! What's a "clear belt" by the way, is it like the black belt? That's the correct term I would assume, I know not all martial arts have black as the highest belt color.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    I do not do it for a living I would like to, though I do make a few bucks here and there teaching classes. I say clear belt as a joke, I have been offered belts before I have just never had an interest in them. I have found In many cases that it has a lot more to do with pride and investment than skill level. In ohio you must have at least 5 amature fights to go pro and each state has there own rule set. I have friends that get paid as amatures out of state, and I have thought about doing so, but it presents its own challenges.
    Teflon
  • LythunylLythunyl Member Posts: 30
    I train a reasonable amount. It means a lot to me.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    edited January 2013
    I am a Grand Master of Ludovico Technique, instructed by Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. I am an acolyte of Kung-pow from the school of The Venerable General Tso and am currently developing my own style of MahJong.
    IllustairrexregMedullaOblongataTJ_Hooker
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I used to train Karate-related style, which was heavily focused on spiritual values and aspects of the traning. Unfortunately, I had to give myself a break, the reason being pain of lower parts of my body, which was cause of irritating nerves around lower part of my spine*.

I hope to return to traning someday, but there are two problems. First, this style of mine doesn't practically exist in Poland anymore. Second, my negative mindset I am unable to change.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    Though i've grown old and fat these days, I was taught kung fu in my youth by the uncle of a chinese food restaurant owner in Ottawa. I had to take part in a ceremony which was the equivalent of an nda in gaming betas(to put it in a context most will understand). I could never tell anyone who and what i was being taught as it apparently violated some monkish taboo. Though through disuse and heart atatcks, i've forgotten most of what he taught me these days. I still practice some taichi as well but i seem to have forgotten too many of those forms as well and may have to take a refresher. Getting senile in my advanced years.
    Illustair
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    I learned advanced hand-to-hand combat in the military. I was also on a 6 month experimental training exercise where we were taught basic Krav Maga. After I quit the army, I spent ~15 hours a week as a self-defense teacher for about a year.

Nowadays, I don't really do much in the form of martial arts. But I do remember all of it. ^^
  • eltonbarreleltonbarrel Member Posts: 262
    i do jujitsu for 7 year long long ago. after that i studied many philosophic sciences about myself.
    through my life's era i discover my own "MORTAL ARTs".i'm a great master in eating bacon, for example. days&days eating and feel well.
    LEARN, DISCIPLE!!!!!
    EAT, NOT DRINK.
    second and also big big big master(like chun li) : fart made master.
    and obviously, now i'm trying to emulate big daddy CHUCK NORRIS.

• MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I don't really consider myself a master, although i have the last ranks in 2 of the martial arts i know, i always liked the concept of eternal student, since, for me, master means perfection, and i'm far from perfect.

Anyway.

I have done martial arts for 22 years and a half, the styles are Jeet Kune do, Wing Chun, i've also done some Jiu Jutsu and BJJ and a bit of Combat Sambo. I had a 2 year experience in boxing and kick boxing.

Anything i've learned, i've tried to apply it through sparring for a street scenario(where your opponent is not willing to comply), and thus i had to modify some parts of the more "traditional" martial arts.

The hardest part of Wing Chun/JKD, was to properly learn how to apply force through the center in a flash and in a really small space.

Anyway, whatever martial art you do, for ring or street, you'll need to train hard and try to apply it(spar) to be confident that "it will work", because, a lot of schools, just do "imagination training", and some also advertise instant self defense.

Cheers :]
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I did do Taido for 3-4 years when I was a kid, but it was years ago. Martial arts do still interest me and maybe someday I have time to start training again.
  • LoneWolfDonLoneWolfDon Member Posts: 25
    Currently I've been training for over 31 years in the Martial-Arts. It has been a passion of mine.
    To me it's not about belt-levels, or how "tuff" you are, or how high you can kick or hard you can punch, or winning contests / trophies / medals. For me, aside from being an effective way of self-defence (which I've been forced to defend myself several times), it's a way of self-improvement of mind, body and spirit.

I've trained in multiple styles, am a Certified Black-Belt / Instructor in a few styles, and have also developed my own Martial-Arts System (using a traditional Japanese JuJitsu style as the foundation, but incorporating various other techniques and training-methods from some other styles I've trained in to make it more well-rounded and effective).

I've also spent several years living in and traveling through SE-Asia, and had the good fortune to train directly with several Martial-Arts Masters there as well.
    Illustair
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    8 years in Tae Kwon Do, Second Degree Black Belt and I was an instructor for three of those years. Nothing as serious as some of the others, but some training. I stopped a few years ago, but occasionally consider training again.
    Teflon
  • hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98
    I have always wanted to do some form of martial arts, tae kwon do or mauy thai, but my life is too busy with other physically straining sports, archery, horseback riding, hunting, and my fulltime job as a blacksmith/farrier
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited February 2013
    WTF is with all these people posting that are like fricking ninjas? The closest I ever get to Martial Arts is when I watch Kung Fu and order Chinese.
    Post edited by HaHaCharade on
    TJ_HookerTeflon
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

I have always wanted to do some form of martial arts, tae kwon do or mauy thai, but my life is too busy with other physically straining sports, archery, horseback riding, hunting, and my fulltime job as a blacksmith/farrier

Ha, your username now seems very fitting. Out of curiousity, where does one find work as a blacksmith in this day and age?
    Get out much?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

Get out much?

Umm, I think there may have been some misunderstanding. I wasn't trying to insult you. I was genuinely curious where blacksmiths are still employed. I honestly have never seen or heard of anyone being a blacksmith other than the guys who do it on display, like at a historical exhibition or park, or maybe on a show on the discovery channel.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I´m an expert in hose fighting--- kabowzer
    Really
    TJ_Hooker said:

Get out much?

Umm, I think there may have been some misunderstanding. I wasn't trying to insult you. I was genuinely curious where blacksmiths are still employed. I honestly have never seen or heard of anyone being a blacksmith other than the guys who do it on display, like at a historical exhibition or park, or maybe on a show on the discovery channel.
    My comment "get out much?" was to hahacharade. I just noticed your comment now. Blacksmithing is still a viable trade. A lot of the work is custom, and highly expensive, making it very profitable. I myself got into it because I grew up around horses, and went to Farrier(Horse shoeing) school, and was taught to make shoes for horses, that's how I got into blacksmithing. Blacksmithing itself is indeed a rare trade.
    TJ_HookerDecrepitDragonIllustairTeflon
    @hammernanvil
    Was it you on some other thread wherein he joked (or at least I thought he did) that he put on most of his skill points on blacksmithing?haha so it's true after all. Nowadays, it seems like you have to be either an engineer, doctor, accountant, or whatever along those professions. I want to try something different. And you say it is a highly profitable profession; it only makes it even cooler. Awesome. It's too late for me now; maybe on another life then.;p
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    I've studied some Tae Kwon Do, many, many years ago, and stopped because I was really just doing it for the fitness, not the fighting. Thats when, back in my younger days, I discovered T'ai chi ch'uan.

The thing is, I never studied Tai Chi as a means for self defense, but as a means to health, fitness and flexibility. I was never a proficient student, but it was fun and relaxing at the time.

Then I discovered drink and women. . . .

The rest, as the wife says, is history. :)
    Teflon