Skip to content

NPC leveling out of party

Is there anywhere that says which NPC's level up outside of your party and which don't?

For instance, Charname is level 4 and I just got Dynaheir who came at level 4. I just used Stone to Flesh on Branwen and she is only level 2 with 1500 exp compared to my 8000. I also noticed Rasaad didn't level up outside of party on my first play through ;

I kind of thought it was restricted to the 3 new NPC's but after seeing Branwen at only level 2 I'm quite sure that there are some original NPC's that don't level up. Anybody know more details on the matter?

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    NPCs scale in lvl when you first meet them.

Once you talk to them, the only way they get xp is if they are in your group.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    deltago said:

I'm talking about fresh, new NPC's. I was level 4 and Branwen came at lvl 2. There are other NPC's that don't level up outside your party also but I don't know exact info. I think Neera also comes at level 2 no matter what
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    I've recruited Neera into two different parties at level one. I think they typically scale behind the party. So if you were sixth level when you found her she would be second or third level. Yeslik is the latest NPC I've ever recruited, and he's often 3/2 when my PC is 5th.
  • ArexArex Member Posts: 4
    I always thought it was determined by the level you are when you first enter their starting area. Did you go to the carnival at level two?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    It depends on the PCs level when you meet them and each NPC is different.

Dudleyville has a good write up on them here: http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/good.htm
    However, please keep in mind clicking that link is spoiler heaven.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    Arex said:

I always thought it was determined by the level you are when you first enter their starting area. Did you go to the carnival at level two?

Has she been moved in the later updates? In the two games I'm playing I met her in Beregost. My characters were all 1st level (Imoen and Jaheira might have been 2nd? But as deltago says, its the PC level that matters, not the NPCs.)

If she's been moved to the carnival I will likely have a 2nd (or even 3rd) level PC next time I find her.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited January 2013
    atcDave said:

Arex said:

Has she been moved in the later updates? In the two games I'm playing I met her in Beregost. My characters were all 1st level (Imoen and Jaheira might have been 2nd? But as deltago says, its the PC level that matters, not the NPCs.)

If she's been moved to the carnival I will likely have a 2nd (or even 3rd) level PC next time I find her.
    I think he was responding to the OP's question on Branwen.

deltago said:

I'm talking about fresh, new NPC's. I was level 4 and Branwen came at lvl 2. There are other NPC's that don't level up outside your party also but I don't know exact info. I think Neera also comes at level 2 no matter what
    All NPCs should level up outside your party prior to meeting them. But they won't exactly match your level/XP, as they only have a few pre-set versions at different levels. I think sometimes you'll get an NPC at a lower level than you because your level falls in the middle of two of their pre-sets, and they get 'rounded down' to the lower levelled one. Also, which version you get depends on what level you are when you first enter the area the NPC is in, not when you recruit them. At least, I think this is how it works.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • OgaburanOgaburan Member Posts: 83
    What lvl they are depends only at what lvl your PC is.

This site goes into more details;
    http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/good.htm