Skip to content

Max HP on Normal

I was playing through on normal so I thought every character should have max hit points, and I noticed a level 4 Khalid had 52 HP (10 + 3) * 4 = 52 so that makes sense.

Kagain at level 4 has 43 HPs and I would have expected (10 +5) * 4 = 60

I got Khalid at level 1 and Kagain at level 4, so I'm assuming even on Normal HPs aren't max and are still rolled for on levels where npcs are caught up to your level upon first joining?

Comments

• szbszb Member Posts: 220
    They only get max hp when they level up in your party.
    Every npc will have a set level, hp, proficiencies depending on your level when you first recruit them.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Yeah, each NPC has set base stats for lvls 1, 2, 4, and 6 (relative to your character's total xp) when you first encounter them, and the HP is set. If you're not rolling for HD, then you should get your people as quickly and low lvl as possible.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    That kind of sucks for people like Tiax and Yeslick, but not really a big deal. I normally play on core anyway so I had never noticed. Thanks for explaining that.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    IMO the game is too easy with max HPs unless you're playing with the harder difficulty settings anyway.
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    The mod BG2 Tweaks allows you to set NPC's to have maximum HP rolls as well as other creatures if you feel like it.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    @moopy:

despite being found both late

- Tiax only has 2 HP less then the maximum for his levels (unless you manage somehow to get it with a PC level of 1 or 2 in which case he will have maximum HP).

- Yeslick always has maximum HP for his levels in BGEE (I remember he had even higher than legal maximum HP in BG1 vanilla, but that must have been fixed in BGEE)