Skip to content

Blade or Skald

Comments

• KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
    The Blade is one of the best kits of the game. You can check it out in gamesbanshee, but a character who is very good at melee, can cast spells and also can reach to -30 of AC at certain moments... I think it's simply the best.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

I just started BG:EE as a Skald. I have no idea how good they are long-term, but I'm really enjoying it from an RP perspective. Mine is NE, and I love the image of her standing around singing dramatically while her evil deathcrew wrecks everything in sight.

What starting weapon proficiencies did you give her? I'm thinking of running a good-aligned male Skald in my second BGEE run-through, armed with axes (partly for Azuredge in BG2...) and crossbows, possibly halberds instead of axes, though (for Chesley Crusher in BGEE and there are quite a few decent ones in BG2).
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

What starting weapon proficiencies did you give her? I'm thinking of running a good-aligned male Skald in my second BGEE run-through, armed with axes (partly for Azuredge in BG2...) and crossbows, possibly halberds instead of axes, though (for Chesley Crusher in BGEE and there are quite a few decent ones in BG2).

I've only just started, but I gave her longsword and single-weapon style, mainly because I wanted a break from dual-wielding (which has always been my poison of choice), but I still love me some longswords (and want her to have Blackrazor at the end of BG2).

I'm aiming for a final party of Dorn, Kagain, Shar-Teel (dualed to Thief), Xzar (dualed to Cleric), and Edwin. I thinks it will be funny if nothing else.

I've only just started, but I gave her longsword and single-weapon style, mainly because I wanted a break from dual-wielding (which has always been my poison of choice), but I still love me some longswords (and want her to have Blackrazor at the end of BG2).

I'm aiming for a final party of Dorn, Kagain, Shar-Teel (dualed to Thief), Xzar (dualed to Cleric), and Edwin. I thinks it will be funny if nothing else.

Sounds reasonable, though you might need another thief early on until Shar-Teel gets good enough.

I'm currently running CHARNAME (female neutral evil elf fighter/mage), Dorn, Monty, Viconia, Imoen (*not* dualed) and Edwin and am having lots of fun :-).
    edited December 2012
    I currently have Imoen on my team, though she is dead at the moment so I need to get her rezzed, as well as Monty, which is as much Thief as I need at the moment XD, but yeah, I am somewhat bothered by the potential for no-competent-thief for a while... I might have to re-jig my plots.

I currently have Imoen on my team, though she is dead at the moment so I need to get her rezzed, as well as Monty, which is as much Thief as I need at the moment XD, but yeah, I am somewhat bothered by the potential for no-competent-thief for a while... I might have to re-jig my plots.

I often run two thieves, as in my current game, where I have Monty focused on stealth (and later pick pockets) for scouting (evil doesn't get a ranger and I find being able to scout essential) and backstabs, with Imoen on Find Trap and Open Locks (then later Set Traps...).

I often run two thieves, as in my current game, where I have Monty focused on stealth (and later pick pockets) for scouting (evil doesn't get a ranger and I find being able to scout essential) and backstabs, with Imoen on Find Trap and Open Locks (then later Set Traps...).
    I so want an evil Ranger kit. We have an evil Paladin kit now, surely an evil Ranger kit is on the cards! Surely!

Personally, I'd be happy if they just re-jigged Stalker to not need to be good. It sounds at best Neutral.

I so want an evil Ranger kit. We have an evil Paladin kit now, surely an evil Ranger kit is on the cards! Surely!

Personally, I'd be happy if they just re-jigged Stalker to not need to be good. It sounds at best Neutral.
    Perhaps, though I see rangers as "guardians of nature", though perhaps not as much as druids. I think they should be allowed to be neutral at most.

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Sadly, till 3rd edition, Rangers were good only, cause the creators were Aragorn fanboys. Thankfully, once WotC got control, in one of their few good decisions decided Aragorn could go eat #%$^, and thus rangers were finally allowed to be as they should've been. Martial agents and trackers for nature deities of entire alignment spectrum.
  • PshlosPshlos Member Posts: 41
    Kharador said:

The Blade is one of the best kits of the game. You can check it out in gamesbanshee, but a character who is very good at melee, can cast spells and also can reach to -30 of AC at certain moments... I think it's simply the best.

Get a bard with this disadvantage: -Bard song doesn't get better with levels??????????
    Why is the blade a bard???
    I don't know, I just don't see the point of bards. But I guess they would be fun from a role-playing perspective for some people.
    Pshlos said:

Kharador said:

Get a bard with this disadvantage: -Bard song doesn't get better with levels??????????
    I don't know, I just don't see the point of bards. But I guess they would be fun from a role-playing perspective for some people.
    I recently found out that bard song does in fact "linger" slightly and it is possible to get a ranged shot off, or even a quick spell and then resume singing before the bard song dissipates - this is *excellent* for a Skald! See: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/222494#Comment_222494

• leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    If you're developing a character with BG2EE in mind, Blade.
    If you're looking for more effective character in BGEE, Skald.
  • UlvarylUlvaryl Member Posts: 217
    Pshlos said:

Blade is ofensive fight oriented bard.
    At this point he has no need this song to use. (but he still can use HLA song thats better than basic one anyway)

And besides roleplaying aspects, bards have pick pocket ability, that allow ur thief to put no points there, can cast arcane spells that helps ur wizards to concentrate at the damage dealing; or bards can play a role of support mage that is good too. Also they re leveling up extremely fast compare to multi and most of single class characters.
  • AesgarethAesgareth Member Posts: 16
    "suck" or "balls"! this is what the question feels like to me..
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    Aesgareth said:

Wow what valuable insight you bought to the thread!

Aesgareth said:

Wow what valuable insight you bought to the thread!
    As always my friend :D Happy new year!

On topic, i could write pages on how much bards suck, particularly on early, mid (and late) game but i have neither the time nor the inclination.

A simple proof to my point would be this:

Starting BG1 the first thing wou fight is 5 rats or 2 lvl 1 thiefs

Starting BG2:SoA the first thing you fight is goblins or mephits

Starting BG2:ToB the first thing you fight is a bard
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited January 2013
    Aesgareth said:

You do realize your 'proof' doesn't proof anything, don't you, as it's an invalid induction?

The actual reason I wanted to pop in this thread, is mentioning one point not mentioned yet, though only valid if you use BG2Tweaks and have 'Add Save Penalties for Spells Cast by High-Level Casters' installed: because of far faster levelling than a Fighter/Mage, Bard's are far more effective with spells that require a save. A Blade is good for damage-dealing, but also can cast for instance Chaos far more effectively than a Mage or Fighter/Mage. With F/M's, I almost completely focus on buffs, as they level so slowly.

edited January 2013
    Off-topic: it really is a hindrance the forum software omits the date for posts from the previous calendar-month. Is 'december' just the day before yesterday, or is Aesgarath a troll with necromancing abilities, raising from the dead a topic that's a month old?

And I did something bad, I realize, I fed a troll. Should have stuck to feeding dog meat to Umber Hulks instead.
    edited January 2013

Aesgareth said:

You do realize your 'proof' doesn't proof anything, don't you, as it's an invalid induction?

He obviously means that the developers want the first battle to be with the easiest foes possible. David Gaider on his improved mod wrote: "we were forced to make the battle much, much easier (since people could potentially meet her with a single, newly-created sorcerer.. And since the fight was unavoidable, those who couldn't get past it would be quite frustrated."

I guess the developers felt that there is nothing easier to kill than a bard.
    edited January 2013
    Pshlos said:

He obviously means that the developers want the first battle to be with the easiest foes possible. David Gaider on his improved mod wrote: "we were forced to make the battle much, much easier (since people could potentially meet her with a single, newly-created sorcerer.. And since the fight was unavoidable, those who couldn't get past it would be quite frustrated."

I guess the developers felt that there is nothing easier to kill than a bard.

Thanks for clarification. With extra info, it makes it a more valid argument. Still, I am surprised at how easy it is to kill an enemy Bard, compared to their usefullness in charname's party. I haven't played TOB yet, but there's a Bard in Baldur's Gate, in a house next to the temple of Helm, that's quite easy to kill and my impression of the fight was, the AI doesn't handle him very well, as a Bard could be far more effective than that. With the micromanagement a Bard takes to be effective, maybe the computer doesn't play him less effective than a player would?

I see confusion rising in the thread though, if we start talking about the effectiveness of an unkitted bard in a topic about Blade or Skald. All kitted bards are much more effective than plain bards, each in their own way.

edited January 2013
    What is this bard you're talking about? Illesara is a Fighter/Mage. (hell you can check them all in SK...hmm..except for that odd one out that is a Ranger). The easier or harder thing just toned down her helpers based on how many people you had...and they weren't particularly tough. The Improved Illesara mod just makes her helpers a genuine threat in addition to bringing the maximum number.

By your logic then, a F/M is actually the least dangerous thing they could've thrown at you.
  • TinterTinter Member Posts: 152
    edited January 2013

Off-topic: it really is a hindrance the forum software omits the date for posts from the previous calendar-month. Is 'december' just the day before yesterday, or is Aesgarath a troll with necromancing abilities, raising from the dead a topic that's a month old?

If you hover you mouse over December then it will popup the exact time and date of posting :)

On topic, Skalds song is decent in BG1 and early SOA if you are running a fighter heavy party- decent bonuses that will help them chunk. OTOH Blade spins are good to have forever.

Oh, and Illasera is a multiclass F/M, not a Bard, and her weakness is due to AI scripting more than anything else- even the vanilla version is scary with a good script!
    Tinter said:

If you hover you mouse over December then it will popup the exact time and date of posting :)

Thank you!! :-)

edited January 2013

What is this bard you're talking about? Illesara is a Fighter/Mage. (hell you can check them all in SK...hmm..except for that odd one out that is a Ranger). The easier or harder thing just toned down her helpers based on how many people you had...and they weren't particularly tough. The Improved Illesara mod just makes her helpers a genuine threat in addition to bringing the maximum number.

By your logic then, a F/M is actually the least dangerous thing they could've thrown at you.

Not my logic. I didn't make the game.

David Gaider turns her into an archer. " She's a ranger/archer now, which was her original concept before we were forced to make the battle much, much easier"

I see confusion rising in the thread though, if we start talking about the effectiveness of an unkitted bard in a topic about Blade or Skald. All kitted bards are much more effective than plain bards, each in their own way.

Maybe we should be discussing about kit/non kit balance then? Maybe we need a new topic...
    Pshlos said:

Maybe we should be discussing about kit/non kit balance then? Maybe we need a new topic...
    Well there's already the currently active "What is the point of Bard?" thread as well: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/223832#Comment_223832
    edited January 2013
    It's pretty close....A song-twisting Skald gives a blade a run for their money until epic levels. Which arguably wasn't very well thought out, oh hey, once you hit lvl 24, lets remove basically all your disadvantages while all the other bards get the shaft. At low str a skald is better, at high strength, the blade has a slight advantage due to the extra attack (but on the other hand, can only do so for as long as they have OS available, while the Skald can keep trucking 24/7).

Rogue-Rebalancing does a nice job of largely correcting Bioware's hack-job implementation of rogues and Bards in general, and should really have been included as part of the game's general fixes, but overall it's very much needed buff to class that bioware seemed determined to F over as much as they could without outright breaking the class completely (since otherwise the PnP accurate bards would blow away their ridiculously overpowered fighter kits like they were nothing (save the wizard slayer..they are legitimately getting screwed since they're MUCH weaker then their PnP version, while the Kensai and Berserker are MUCH stronger...especially the berserker who barely resembles his PnP incarnation and has no downside at all for it's power)

And of course the kits are more powerful. The Bard doesn't even work correctly in the first place, nor do all the kits have their proper restrictions, and some like the blade, as mentioned a few posts above, bare little resemblance to what they should be.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited January 2013

That is one moody party lol. If you had Tiax join that crew, they would probably kill him.