Skip to content

More of Xzar and Montharon after Nashkel mines

Hi

I find Montharon and especially Xzar to be very entertaining characters and I would love to hear and read more of their dialogue but after I finish the Nashkel mines they don't seem to react at all. What was their agenda there in the first place? Is there a special quest I can trigger that will catch their interest or anything else I can do to trigger them to be more active conversation-wise?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    No, BG1 NPCs never had much characterisation. They'll just remain loyal for the rest of the game now you've done their quest.
  • AlequeAleque Member Posts: 149
    edited January 2013
    Too bad. I like Xzar's craziness..
    Thanks for your reply though
    EDIT: I would pay fat cash to see more voice acting by Frank Welker and an extended story of Xzar.
    Post edited by Aleque on
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited January 2013
    Aleque said:

Too bad. I like Xzar's craziness..
    Thanks for your reply though
    EDIT: I would pay fat cash to see more voice acting by Frank Welker and an extended story of Xzar.

There is really an undignified fate for these two guys in BG2.
    [Spoiler]
    Xzar "and Monty" aren't joinable but show up briefly in BG2 in a silly quest where Xzar has you rescuing Monty after he has supposedly been turned into a parrot by the Harpers.
    [/Spoiler]

I'm not sure if the BG1NPC project mod or unfinished business has any further adventures for Xzar and Monty but as it is, they just kind of do nothing after Nashkel mines which kind of sucks.
    I don't want to play any fan-made Xzar+Monty mods. If the original developers have already laid their faith in stone, then so be it. It's just sad. I remember when I was younger and fell in love with Xzar character, I looked forward to completing the game and continuing having Xzar in my group in BG2, but then, yeah, the rest is obvious. Too bad...
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    Aleque said:

Hi

I find Montharon and especially Xzar to be very entertaining characters and I would love to hear and read more of their dialogue but after I finish the Nashkel mines they don't seem to react at all. What was their agenda there in the first place? Is there a special quest I can trigger that will catch their interest or anything else I can do to trigger them to be more active conversation-wise?

Thanks in advance

you can meet with their... friends in the upper floor of Sorcerous Sundries, also, an NPC will approach you in the docks (iirc) from their organization if you're running with 'em, but that's it.
    is there a way of reading the whole dialogue from the parts that you mention?
    I have no idea... Infinity Explorer would be probably the way, but it doesn't currently work for BGEE (or does it?). also, I have no idea about the names of the NPC which speak to you - I found out about the guy in the docks (if he's even in the docks - I know it happened in BG somewhere) in a playthrough about 8 months ago.

what I do remember however, is that he mentions Xzar by name, so if one could get IE working, it should be easy to find.

also, there is a bit of dialogue you may not know about: put them in a group together with Khalid and Jaheria.
    those two meddling dipshits are Harpers, whereas Xzar and Monty belong to Zhentarim, two very much opposing groups. after a few interjections (which are entertaining as hell), they'll come to blows, which is basically the only reason why anyone in their right mind should ever take Jaheria and Khalid.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited January 2013
    Infinity Explorer is not fully compatible with BGEE, but it can be used to read dialogues if some files are copied in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766" or wherever BGEE is installed.

In particular only the following files are required to read dialogues:

1) baldur.ini (should be copied from "Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition")
    2) dialog.tlk (should be copied from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\lang\en_US" or wherever it is the desired language)

For the dialogue in the upper floor of the Sorcerous Sundries you should read NIEMAI.DLG
    I don't know yet the file name for the one in the docks.

I recommend to use Infinity Explorer only to read dialogues and NearInfinity for everything else. When I tried to look at game areas with Infinity Explorer I got some nasty error messages.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ty Erg, managed to get it working.
    the other guy is called Kolvar, he appears sometime after your return to and from Candlekeep. according to another forum, he's near the iron throne building... sadly, can't check it out, I'm running my first party without these two psychos, and they seem to have disappeared from crossroads.