Skip to content

Cross-platform gaming

babciusbabcius Member Posts: 1
edited July 2012 in iPad (Archive)
I would like to ask if it will be possible for people with Mac and iPad to play on both devices the same game (the same game saves). I think it could be done with iCloud, and would be great. I would really like to pay for this game twice if I could have this feature!:)

Comments

• powerfulallypowerfulally Member Posts: 261
    Possible, saves will work cross-platform. Save sync with iCloud will be also available.
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    I want to know what happens when I buy the PC version and the iPad version without the in-app purchases. Will Neera disappear from my party when I load my PC save on the iPad? Will my portrait/voiceset disappear?
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    No, Trent said even though they like to get payed they are not into breaking games, u will still be able to use neera while u r on holidays on your iPad.... I'm a twitter stalker!
  • KriegerKrieger Member Posts: 40
    Whoa... you guys are confusing me a little. The OP asks if it will be possible to switch between platforms, but the rest of you are talking as if this is the case. Did I miss some announcement somewhere? Not that I'm complaining, if you can switch back and forth I'll definitely buy both the PC and iPad versions.
  • ZandriZandri Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2012
    I read it somewhere (Trent's twitter feed perhaps) game saves would be syned via iCloud between Mac & iPad.

Note this would not apply to Windows. Windows does not get access to iCloud file storage, only Mac App Store apps get that privilege.

Possibly another syncing method supported too?

EDIT: A link to one of the tweets:
    Post edited by Zandri on
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    I'm sure that statement was in relation to pc/tablet. But I'm not sure if he was talking android or not.
    iCloud is what was mentioned, iCloud is purely an Apple thing.
    They have email and calendar sync control panel applets for Windows, but not file storage.

Refer: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/20763/#Comment_20763
  • WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    Any chance for dropbox integration?
  • KriegerKrieger Member Posts: 40
    I'm guessing you could copy files from the PC into Dropbox and download it on the iPad. But since Apple and Dropbox don't get along you can't do it the other way around.
    Well, I can pass a .txt file to iA Writer and back again, so its not impossible... And there is an API to pass files to/from dropbox on iOS...
    Getting files in is no problem, I use a lot of apps with Dropbox integration.
    The difficult part is modifying or patching core resources that came with the game - these are harder to access (if that's required by some of the more complicated mods)
    Can everything be done with an overrides directory or did of the older mods still patch files outside of this?
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @Zandri
    Assuming the iOS distribution will look conventional, the game files will largely be contained in archives outside the override (the contents of the archives is what the override overrides). You could mod the game by placing new files into the override and never touching the archives, but you quickly run into problems with mod incompatibilities that way, as the technical overlap is large, even if the conceptual overlap isn't. There is also the string table, which is located outside the override and would need to be altered by any mod that wants to add or change text (which is pretty much all of them).
    edited July 2012
    Your talking about dialog.tlk arn't ya? Either way, if we have access to the files we can modify them. Even if its a solution that requires the pc or mac version to modify the dialog.tlk file and others. We do have weidu but I doubt you'l ever get that thing past Apple's radar.
  • NjordyNjordy Member Posts: 2
    I really love iCloud. If this function will be available, I'm definitely buying both Mac and iPad version. :)
  • BenNBenN Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2012
    Njordy said:

I really love iCloud. If this function will be available, I'm definitely buying both Mac and iPad version. :)

Yup, me too. Because I'll use both, and also as a 'thank you' to the devs. :)
  • ChurchOfBooChurchOfBoo Member Posts: 82
    I plan to buy the Mac version, and then as soon they develop it so that I can 'continue' the game on the iPad I'll get that too. Don't want to have two separate games going at once!