Skip to content

Beamdog service

NeoWormNeoWorm Member Posts: 2
Sorry, but I just wont be buying because of unnecessary third party client I have to install just to buy the game. Please, restrain from such things. Steam, Origin, Greenman gaming... its all the same stuff. Piracy is rampant and DRM wont solve anything, just deal with it. Like CD Project did, you are just hurting customers like I am. Right now, its easier for me to pirate your game than to buy it legaly. I would really like to, but I wont. Because I dont want to register on some shady webstore, read their User agreement, agree with it, install a shady client and post my credit card info somewhere I have no reference about.
Sorry, I love BG, but I wont support you with this approach. Try making a deal with GOG or Humble Store next time.

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @NewWorm you know you don't have to use the client right? After you buy it you can just choose to download the standalone installer. After that the only thing you need to do through beamdog is downloading updates and patches when they come out.

Also, I'm not sure what's so 'shady' about the store/client.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited January 2013
    The Beamdog client is not required to download, install, update, or play the game. In fact, you don't ever need to have it on your computer.

You can use the standalone installer instead - http://www.beamdog.com/files/BGEEInstaller.exe - and once the game is installed, you can launch baldur.exe directly and never connect to the internet again unless you want to check for patches. Then all you'd have to do is start bgee.exe, and it will detect updates for you. Many people on these forums, including me, use this option.

And Beamdog's site isn't some shady third party deal—it's run by the same people who are leading the development of the game. Overhaul is the development division of Beamdog.
  • NeoWormNeoWorm Member Posts: 2
    Well, thats acceptible enought for me to buy the game, but if it wasnt Baldurs Gate, and I didnt wanted to support the team to be able to enchance even the second game I would be browsing the carribeam seas now.
    Still, how came that the standalone installer option is NOT mentioned anywhere on the site? You asked whats so shady about the shop - its this!
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Nathan, could the product page be updated to mention the option of a standalone installer? This issue comes up a lot.