Skip to content

Durations descriptions list of issues

HeadbombHeadbomb Member Posts: 213
edited February 2013 in Fixed
It seems to me that durations are inconsistantly described in BGEE. Sometimes it's given in real-time seconds, others rounds, others turn, and others in in-game hours. This is somewhat confusing and annoying, because you always have to remember that

1 Day = 24 Hour = 120 turns = 1200 rounds = 7200 seconds
1 hour = 5 Turns = 50 rounds = 300 seconds
1 turn = 10 rounds = 60 seconds
1 round = 6 seconds

The first reference to an hour duration in item descriptions is at 3 hours (POTN36), and any durations that can be expressed in rounds/turns/hours/days are usually expressed in those units rather than in seconds. Some items deviate from these conventions however

BOOT08
* "every 2 rounds" instead of "every 12 seconds"

BOOT11
* "for 5 rounds" instead of "for 30 seconds"

HELM18
* "Hit Points per minute" instead of "Hit Points per turn"

MISC73
* "only last 18 seconds" instead of "only lasts 3 rounds"

POTN38
* consider saying 1 turn instead of 10 rounds

POTN19 / POTN28 / POTN29
* consider saying 3 hours instead of 15 turns

POTN30 / POTN44
* consider saying 4 hours instead of 20 turns

Also, adding a specific "Duration" line (compared to POTN02) to POTN03 to POTN07 and POTN23 would be nice.

Consider saying 4 hours instead of 20 turns
* Non-Detection (StrRef 12147 / 25957)

Consider saying 2 turns instead of 20 rounds
* Charm Person or Mammal (12223)
* Dire Charm (StrRef 12168)

Consider saying 1 turn instead of 10 rounds
* Blade Barrier (26264)
* Draw Upon Holy Might (12320)
* Hold Person (12315)
* Horror (12188)
* Larloch's Minor Drain (12189)
* Protection from Evil (12147, 12201)
* Rigid Thinking (17644)
* Sanctuary (12206)
* Sunray (26301)
* Vocalize (12198)
* Wand of Paralyzation (17653)

Consider saying 1 turn instead of 10 rounds
* Defensive Harmony (22830) , but see also http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13883/defensive-harmony-description-issue

Consider saying 3 rounds instead of 18 seconds
* Slay Living (26246)

For wands
* Wand of Paralyzation (17653) consider saying 1 turn instead of 10 rounds

Consider replacing "6 seconds" for "1 round" or similar (e.g. 24 seconds for 4 rounds) in strings
* 24234 / 24304/ 24307 / 24309 / 25372 / 25378 / 25380 / 30685 /

Consider replacing "60 seconds" for "1 turn" or similar (e.g. 120 seconds for 2 turns) in strings
* 24284 / 25670 / 28606 / 31211 /

Consider replacing "10 turn" for "1 hour" or similar (e.g. 20 turns for 2 hours) in strings
* 12151 / 12204 / 26131 / 26392
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    If your numbers are correct (which I have no reason to doubt they are), you have done some hefty work. Well done sir. Maybe someone can flag this?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited January 2013
    - BOOT12 is BOOT08, right?
    - Defensive Harmony is 6 rounds, so no change.
    - I deliberately left out all statistics for POTN23 except the weight. I think the cursed effects are meant to be a surprise. :)

Many of these were already handled, but now they should all be consistent (besides the strings that aren't used). Thanks!
    Post edited by Jalily on
  • HeadbombHeadbomb Member Posts: 213
    edited January 2013
    @Jalily yes I meant BOOT08 and not BOOT12.

Also regarding POTN23, the description already says it's 5 turns. Moreover, two of the four fake potions have their full fake effect detailed (i.e. POTN25, POTN40). I think it would be best if the STATISTICS went with the full fake stats all the time, i.e.
    * POTN23 would have the statistics of POTN14
    * POTN25 would have the statistics of POTN08
    * POTN32 would have the statistics of POTN20
    * POTN40 would have the statistics of POTN11

Could you also check that Charm Person's duration is actually 17 rounds as stated in the description (aka 102 seconds)? It's such a weird number.
    It's not. @CamDawg?
    @Jalily - I might have edited a few things in that last post just before you read it. Pinging just to make sure you don't miss out on it.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Charm Person is using its old BG description instead of its BG2 description. The duration really should be 5 rounds. BG2:
    Charm Person (Enchantment/Charm)
    Level: 1
    Range: Visual range of caster
    Duration: 5 rounds
    Casting Time: 1
    Area of Effect: 1 person
    Saving Throw: Neg.

This spell affects any single person it is cast upon. The term person includes any bipedal human, demihuman, or humanoid of man-size or smaller, such as brownies, dryads, dwarves, elves, gnolls, gnomes, goblins, half-elves, halflings, half-orcs, hobgoblins, humans, kobolds, lizard men, nixies, orcs, pixies, sprites, troglodytes, and others. Thus, a 10th-level fighter could be charmed, but an ogre could not. The person receives a saving throw vs. spell to avoid the effect.
    If the spell recipient fails his saving throw (of which he receives a +3 modifier), he regards the caster as a trusted friend and ally to be heeded and protected. The caster may give him orders, and the charmed individual will carry them out as quickly as possible.
    If the caster harms, or attempts to harm, the charmed person by some overt action, or if a dispel magic spell is successfully cast upon the charmed person, the charm spell is broken. If two or more charm effects simultaneously affect a creature, the most recent charm takes precedence. Note that the subject has full memory of the events that took place while he was charmed.
    Also note that you cannot have a charmed creature leave the area where he was charmed.
    I think the only substantive difference in the description is the duration.
    Just a few items I missed last time around, this i think is mostly for @Jalily, but @CamDawg might still be interested.

RING27
    * Cast Charm Fire Elemental could mention the duration

CLCK07 / CLCK08
    * The description mentions a "Charm Creature" effect. Does this mean Charm Person or Mammal? Or does creature mean any creature whatsoever (spiders, orcs, xvarts, humans, dwarves, ankehgs, ... ?)

Also a reply on
    Also regarding POTN23, the description already says it's 5 turns. Moreover, two of the four fake potions have their full fake effect detailed (i.e. POTN25, POTN40). I think it would be best if the STATISTICS went with the full fake stats all the time, i.e.
    would be nice.
    Headbomb said:

RING27
    * Cast Charm Fire Elemental could mention the duration

@CamDawg, there are a few strange things about this ring ability: It has a range of Touch, and there's no save despite the description saying there's one at +2. Also, is it really limited to fire elementals?
    Headbomb said:

I've asked Dave about this and am waiting for his reply.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Yeah, looks like they grabbed ring27 from an un-Fixpacked BG2 install. The range is wrong, it probably won't recharge correctly, save is missing, and it'll charm anything. I'll add it to Redmine along with the fix.