Skip to content

The Candlekeep Library: In-depth: Neera the Wild Mage, Chapter 2

PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
edited February 2013 in Archived News
Hi Friends,

Sorry I haven't been around the forums too much lately, I've been very busy with BG:EE and the upcoming BG2:EE. Today we have a new chapter in the origin tale of Neera, and it can be found here in The Candlekeep Library. Many thanks to Dave Gross for writing these vignettes.

Also of note, over the holidays support tickets will continue to be serviced, although it may be slightly delayed as people go on/off vacation. We hope to resume normal support times in the first week of January.
Post edited by Coriander on

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Aww, poor Neera. Story is nice and compelling, and I like the in-game wild surge references and all. :)

These stories really endear the new NPCs to us players, I think. I am glad my PC took her under his wings. Even though she killed Kivan with a wild surge lightning bolt approximately within ten seconds of joining in my game, lol. She just needs friends with thick enough skin. :D
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Any clue on how many more of these we can expect?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    2 more apparently
  • WonderviceWondervice Member Posts: 56
    Good story!

On the other hand Neera annoys me even in story form, I am glad I dismissed her in my game :)
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    i didn't manage to pick her up yet (playing evil first) but she was interesting even in the few conversations we had, next playthrough i guess. and good story btw! :)
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    My favorite vignette so far: Definitely a great piece of writing. Kudos to @Dave!
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2012
    Here's a suggestion.

Screw Dorn and write about me instead o/

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    The story was awesome!

Side note, I think the reason this is not getting more attention is that there are a billion stickied threads at the moment...
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Well done original content BG team!
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    I was hoping for a flying cat familiar
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Nice story! :)

However, Neera's sad odyssey of rejection strongly calls upon the white knight within me...
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    Great story! :-)
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    I like Neera and all...but I got fairly frustrated when she wild surged away 90,00 gold peices from the party's coffers.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    The story is awesome. These stories remind me of the times when games were full of imagination, devotion and passion.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited December 2012
    Calmar said:

Nice story! :)

However, Neera's sad odyssey of rejection strongly calls upon the white knight within me...

I heard the Horn of Gondor in my head when you said that. And me too! Good thing she has my CHARNAME to tolerate her and make excuses for her.

"Really, guys, she didn't mean to heal all the bandits we were facing and turn herself orange, it was an accident!"
    "Come on, she didn't mean to turn Coran into a woman in the Undercellar! Really."
    "She was only trying to prepare a sequencer, it's not her fault a stinking cloud knocked out the entire inn!"

Oh, Neera, please study lichdom in your BG II ending, the multiverse needs more beings like you in it.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Neera, being the best new NPC as always, I see.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Djimmy said:

The story is awesome. These stories remind me of the times when games were full of imagination, devotion and passion.

as opposed to being full of plastic, fully clothed, PG rated sex cutscenes.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    ajwz said:

Djimmy said:

Indeed.
    Quartz said:

Neera, being the best new NPC as always, I see.

Rasaad and Dorn too, well that makes all three of them the best. I am looking forward to see them in BG2EE.

• Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    ajwz said:

Djimmy said:

Agreed. I admit it isn't that easy to keep on innovating your games and cshow something bafflingly unique, but I think that with a little imagination you can already come far. At least, that's what I think when looking at certain successful indie games. They're small and simple...but their concept is interesting and appealing. It seems that a lot of modern big company games are suffering from weak writing on the story side. But then that could be linked to the fact that modern gaming companies have practically become like factories, spitting out games who have been scrambled together on the conveyor belt, so to speak. Mind you, I don't dislike modern games. I just think they lack a soul at times.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    ajwz said:

Djimmy said:

Agreed. I admit it isn't that easy to keep on innovating your games and cshow something bafflingly unique, but I think that with a little imagination you can already come far. At least, that's what I think when looking at certain successful indie games. They're small and simple...but their concept is interesting and appealing. It seems that a lot of modern big company games are suffering from weak writing on the story side. But then that could be linked to the fact that modern gaming companies have practically become like factories, spitting out games who have been scrambled together on the conveyor belt, so to speak. Mind you, I don't dislike modern games. I just think they lack a soul at times.
This discussion has been closed.