Skip to content

Feature Request: pickpocketing Drizzt

2»

Comments

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    You realize it takes like 5 seconds to fix him, right? Hell, in 15 seconds you could correct him completely to his proper PnP gear/stats (already did in my game)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    JTM said:

If you're going to roleplay, then an evil character 'may' kill or pp/steal from Drizzt his powerful items. Good aligned party and characters would not do either. End of story for roleplayers!

Not so. Even in a generally good-aligned party, the particular character most likely (at that stage in the game) to be capable of successfully pickpocketing Drizzt is Garrick, who is Chaotic Neutral - happy to work with a good-aligned party but not himself dedicated to good, so it's perfectly justifiable in roleplaying terms that Garrick would be unable to resist such a tempting prize. Furthermore, the particular character for whom Icingdeath is likely to be game-changingly useful is Jaheira, who is True Neutral - also happy to work with a good-aligned party but not herself likely to refuse the scimitar when Garrick hands it to her. So in my playthroughs (and I suspect in many other people's playthroughs), that's quite often what happens, and I don't see it as role-breaking at all (whereas killing Drizzt would obviously be severely role-breaking for a good-aligned party).
    JTM said:

I would much rather have the devs devote more of their precious time to other more urgent game bug issues...

I agree that this is far from the most urgent issue. Nevertheless, I reported it as an issue because we ought to report all issues whenever we find them, and trust the devs to decide their own priorities.

You realize it takes like 5 seconds to fix him, right? Hell, in 15 seconds you could correct him completely to his proper PnP gear/stats (already did in my game)

If the devs go for the 5-second fix, then I'd rather they just equipped Twinkle and left Icingdeath alone (unequipped and therefore pickpocketable) for consistency with original BG1+TotSC.

What I have proposed as the more thorough solution (i.e. equipping both weapons but then scripting the encounter so that a good-aligned party still has a chance to obtain Icingdeath) would unfortunately take longer, probably a man-day of work between the devs to invent and agree a suitable dialogue and then write and test the new section of script.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited December 2012

I Even in a generally good-aligned party, the particular character most likely (at that stage in the game) to be capable of successfully pickpocketing Drizzt is Garrick, who is Chaotic Neutral - happy to work with a good-aligned party but not himself dedicated to good, so it's perfectly justifiable in roleplaying terms that Garrick would be unable to resist such a tempting prize. Furthermore, the particular character for whom Icingdeath is likely to be game-changingly useful is Jaheira, who is True Neutral - also happy to work with a good-aligned party but not herself likely to refuse the scimitar when Garrick hands it to her. So in my playthroughs (and I suspect in many other people's playthroughs), that's quite often what happens, and I don't see it as role-breaking at all (whereas killing Drizzt would obviously be severely role-breaking for a good-aligned party).

Doesn't Jaheira immediately quit your party in BG2 if you attack Drizzt? I doubt she'd feel okay wielding one of his weapons, from an RP point of view.

edited January 2013
    There is no F'ing reason for him to give ANYONE either of his swords. I don't care if you're the uber god of all that is good and righteous, he'd tell you to F off, especially not Icingdeath, he'd part with Twinkle before he parted with that sword......if you want his swords, pry them from his cold, dead, coal-black hands.

F consistency, it's only seems consistent cause DWing didn't exist, it does now, so it should at the very least be fixed properly, the same as his BG2 cre file (which is identical aside from having the swords equipped and proper weapon profs for them).

I mean you can literally get his cre file in BG2 (they have the same name) and put it in the BG:EE override folder and the issue is fixed...you don't have have to edit anything.

I mean literally, you can ask him that very thing in BG2, and he's like ok..proceeds to stab you with them.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Madhax: I don't know, I don't recall ever trying to attack Drizzt in BG2. If what you say in your spoiler is correct, then I guess that's some sort of Harper reaction, since it doesn't seem a typical True Neutral reaction to me. However, being opposed to a violent attack on an ally yet nevertheless being happy to use his peacefully-stolen weapon is a possible combination. I reckon it's RP-credible that a True Neutral like Jaheira might take that position ... although perhaps it's more typically Chaotic Neutral.

@ZanathKariashi: that's just a speculation about Drizzt's RP-reaction. We don't know what persuasion (or deception) the Bard might use to talk (or con) him into letting go of the weapon. Or maybe the Bard gets lucky with a Charm spell, or something (stronger) of that sort. There's always some way to come up with a credible justification!

Since we're now just coming down to arguments between roleplaying interpretations, I think this is getting off-topic.
    You aren't getting lucky with a charm spell, unless you actually get lucky with a charm spell...which considering his saves are WAY higher then they should be, he literally cannot fail a charm, not even with GM, Doom, and Glitter-dust (which would have to get past his ridiculous MR in first place to apply, 2 of which are considered hostile attacks AND then you have to by-pass his magic resistance again, and he'd have a 90% chance to not even roll a save vs a charm spell, then he'd have to roll a 2 or lower (assuming all the other Debuffs worked) to fail...unlike 3rd, rolling a 1 on a save is not an automatic failure, nor is 20 a automatic success...so..yes...a charm isn't happening, even dire charm won't work, and plain old charm person has a save bonus that is right out impossible to fail).

He'd give you a sorry, no, my blades mean a lot to me, and I value them just as I do any of my friends. And then become extremely suspicious of further dealings with you.

It's actually in his damn character bio (in the manual) he's guarded and terse, if polite, to those that approach him in a non-threatening manner, and rest assured, even with 25 charisma, you don't have a reaction modifier high enough to make him part with one of his weapons.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    The only bug is that there is no reputation hit for stealing his weapons. But then again there's no reputation hit for breaking into most people's houses while they are out and helping yourself to anything that isn't seriously well nailed down.
  • bloodcarverbloodcarver Member Posts: 24

Tanthalas said:

Honestly, neither of them should be pickpocketable because Drizzt has them both in his hands while fighting.

Are you speaking philosophically or factually? He has them in his hands on the sprite but they are not really equipped. Does that make a difference?
    In original BG1 two weapon fighting was impossible, so what he had equipped was special "weapon" that emulated both of his scimitars, and scimitars was in his equipment. So when you pickpocketed them from him, he was still using them, in a way. Once (I assume by a bug introduced with mods) I got that special weapon from his drop... Good that in BG:EE it's all better now.