Skip to content

Pokémon X and Y

VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
edited January 2013 in Off-Topic
Anyone else looking forward to this? Black and White 1 plus 2 were kind of a letdown to me. It seemed like the random encounters had increased ánd some wild Pokémon had the ability to withstand instantaneous fainting, which was very annoying in my opinion. But, I can't help but be excited for the upcoming ones however. Simultaneous worldwide releases, all kind of cool looking starters, less ridiculous legendaries (so far) and the European-like setting are all promising.

toanwrath

Comments

• amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    DO WANT ! I'm going with Fennekin for my starter.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    I find it kinda sad that they are once again adding in more regurgitated near identical pokemon in yet another game that is pretty much exactly the same as the ones before it. Again.

I would much rather they put the effort into giving us a proper pokemon RPG on the PC/console that actually had something more than a threadbare storyline and dozens of samey pokemon with the same move sets.

Don't get me wrong. Pokemon is awesome and everything. But its becoming a bit like CoD.
    Xavioria
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    True, but hopefully these games will move things along a bit again. I did like the fact that the games are more about a story since Black and White.
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    I loved Platinum and HeartGold, but couldn't really get into Black. Hoping X and Y will be better for me. At least the starters look better than Black's.
    FrozenCellstoanwrath
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    At times like this I truly regret that I do not own any other gaming platform than my PC. I would totally pick Fennekin for the starter, since the rest of them seems to be at least... unapealing.

Generally speaking, game looks kinda cool.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    The Grass starter is not reptilian... I'm not sure that's still sunk in yet.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Looks pretty cool. I was around the perfect age when pokemon got huge and everyone at school was into it, great times. I didn't like ruby/sapphire/emerald and didn't bother playing black/white but I played and liked all of the others so I might be willing to fork out for a 3DS for these.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I never got into the games wqhen they originally came out, so I really wish they would release a single definitive game rather than 2, where you could potentially capture every single pokemon to date in, rather than having to import games and so forth
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    I'd love to have a game where we could actually create our own pokemon trainer, and actually be loosed in an open world where we can capture and train pokemon ala the pokemon tv series.

Where we can capture ALL the pokemon (eventually if we pass certain mile stones)
    Where pokemon aren't restricted to four moves.
    Where we have a deep fun storyline.
    Where we have quests and interesting NPCs.

And so on.

Or a game where we actually played as Ash.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I wish there was a game with a deeper plot as well, but I'm really liking the starters, and I'm hoping that their types aren't as boring as the last few generations. A ghost/Grass would be interesting. Torterra was horrible though Lmao, but that generation at least had some interesting starter type matchups. I'm hoping for some interesting Grass/? that is different or unique because Grass types are difficult to matchup without adding the weaknesses.
    I also hope they skip some of those 'Nintendo-isms' where they specify every damn thing that happens in a battle through a text message. I want speed! Like if your Pokémon has Intimidate. After 72 battles I know that the attack of that opponent goes down from the start.
    Torterra was horrible
    Gotta disagree on a nerdy/smogonesque. Grass/Ground can't be too bad, being immune to Leech Seed and Thunderwave are great boons, plus a physical movepool worth using... not to mention, he along with grass/Fighting and levitating Ground or steel types resist the proverbial Ground/Rock attacking combo which otherwise has no resistors.

Gen 5 starters are a bit sad, especially since 2 of them can't even learn Earthquake in their final stages... that's... weird!
    The only reason I said that he was, was because he has four weaknesses, one of which is a DOUBLE weakness to ice. He DOES however have two resistances and an immunity to electricity. Granted he has some tank capabilities in terms of defense and HP, doesn't change the fact that once he gets hit with an ice attack (and each team employs one for pesky dragon types) he's pretty much done for, especially because most powerful ice attacks are special, which Torterra has less defense against. The final issue with that pokemon is that while he can take a hit, he is very slow, which means that his high attack is somewhat wasted if he comes up on a pokemon with a flying, fire, or bug type move; and DEFINITELY wasted if ice is employed early.

I know you quoted Smogon, which I've read up on a few times, and I can't argue with that (they go so in depth they make people like me look like an idiot XD) but Torterra's uses are limited. I think it would have been fairer for me to say Torterra was horrible for ME, than just saying that he's horrible. His stats aren't terrible, so I'll step back from what I said earlier. The thing that bothers me the most I think is the double weakness to ice and low speed
    Yeah. I rarely bother with battles against people, so I understand where you are coming from. Having a high speed and attack are important for me. Clears out the pesky trainers faster.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    edited January 2013
    Super excited too. I'd go for the fire-fox starter pokemon (forgot the name and didnt watch your video).

My favorite all time pokemon is Mewtwo. I didnt really like the later versions' legendaries.
    I didn't like the later legendaries as much either. Some of them were good, some were okay, but too many of them were really redundant or crappy. NOT TO MENTION that there are just TOO MANY of them!
    Xavioria said:

there are just TOO MANY of them!

Ubers was pretty lame back in Gen1 and 2. Now there are actual options!
  • LythunylLythunyl Member Posts: 30
    If there's no PC version, I don't care.
    Xavioria
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I went to Paris this weekend, on the way there, I played Pokemon with a friend of mine. He got me hooked again, the bastard.

I'm looking for a decent team in Pokemon White but so far, I haven't found that special combination, or Centre Pokemon yet which the team is based around.
    Previous games always had a Kadabra named Yuri as the Chief Pokemon, who insta-blasted almost everything. No Kadabra in this game makes me a sad dwarf.
    @Drugar if you wanted, I'm sure you could find someone online who has a kadabra to trade with you... after you get the national pokedex, they're obtainable :)

There's been an update, APPARENTLY all the starters are pure types (water, grass, fire). As much as this pisses me off, I'll be fine if the grass type is fast with high attack and NOT special attack. Too many water types out there with high Sp. Defense.

LASTLY, if anyone here would like a pokemon with its hidden ability, just ask, I've collected a few of the good ones, that are FEMALE, and I wouldn't mind trading it to you just so you can have, or train, or have it ready for X and Y
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I've got a Pokemon Leafgreen lying around somewhere, stole that from my nephew some time ago (10 year olds suck at spot checks, HAH!). If I could find a way to transfer the pokemon, I'd be all set...
    Well to do that you would need 2 DS'... If you want, I have black 2, I can just get a kadabra and trade with you if you think that'll be easier. Or any other pokemon for that matter. Just let me know what you want in particular, PM me your friend code, and I can trade with you no problem :)
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    This will be a wonderful game! Now i have a reason to buy a 3DS :D
    @Xavioria and @Drugar, you only need one DS to get Pokémon from LeafGrean to the fourth generation. I don't know how it goes with the fifth.
    @LukevanV but you have to trade it from leafgreen to pearl/diamond or platinum, then from there you need to bring it into gen 5 then you're good to go. I believe in step two, you need another DS.

I don't think Gen 5 can import from the advanced games, although I'll admit I could be wrong
    Xavioria said:

@LukevanV but you have to trade it from leafgreen to pearl/diamond or platinum, then from there you need to bring it into gen 5 then you're good to go. I believe in step two, you need another DS.

I don't think Gen 5 can import from the advanced games, although I'll admit I could be wrong

You are correct. I hope there is some easy way to come from 4 or 5 to X and Y then. I could use my sweet little DS Lite for that.

• KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    I'm absolutely looking forward to these. I've been playing Pokemon since Gen I and it just keeps getting better and better.
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Maybe we should make a friend code thread xD