Skip to content

Boots of Cheetah add erroneous haste effect (bonus to apr)

hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
edited March 2013 in Fixed
Currently:
when equiping a warrior class with 5/2 apr or 3/2 apr and equipping the boots of cheetah, the apr will get updated to 3 and 2.
The apr effect doesn't occur on some non warrior classes with only 1 apr (I did only test it with cleric and druid).

What it should do:
The boots should just double or increase movement speed and nothing else.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• ThaydThayd Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2012
    The Boots of Speed are incorrectly adding the haste effect to attack speed as well as movement speed. At least I think it is incorrect. Correct me if I'm incorrect. But correct me correctly and not incorrectly. Correct.
    Post edited by Balquo on
  • filbertfilbert Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    Seen this a couple of times now - characters equipped with boots of speed that suddenly stop working when moving to a new area. Movement speed goes back to normal and haste buff is gone. De-equipping and re-equipping boots makes no difference as does saving/reloading the game.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    Do you maybe have an item that provides you with Freedom of Movement? (ie Ring of Freedom or Spider's Bane +2)
  • filbertfilbert Member Posts: 3
    I have a ring of free action but it was working fine with that for some time - just seemed to stop all of a sudden. Will try un-equipping the ring and see what happens.
  • DeuceCabooseDeuceCaboose Member Posts: 6
    Currently it is possible to gain haste from the boots of speed while under the effects of an item with free action. This occurred in BG1 as well. You can get both effects by equipping the boots without the ring equipped, then equipping the ring. When you reload, however, you will lose haste and must repeat the process to get it again.

I would expect the haste buff to fall off instantly upon receiving a free action buff, but this issue has been known for a while.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    @Humanoid_Taifun Free Action shouldn't impact movement speed; it gives immunity to things like Web, so Boots of Speed shouldn't be affected by it.
    @PawnSlayer I don't particularly like this property either. I do not think it is a bug though. The ring did this even in the original Baldur's Gate. (not necessarily proof, but at least precedent)
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    The ring canceling the Boots of Speed is not a bug, the fact that it doesn't is.

Directly quoted from the description:

"Special: the wearer is immune to everything, magical and otherwise, that affects mobility in any way. This includes Haste and Slow spells."
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    edited December 2012
    Merged
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    Are the boots of speed making 1/2 attacks round up to the next full attack? I know they used to do that. And yes, free-action blocks boots of speed, if it doesn't it's a bug. Says on the spell and the ring itself that it does so (also one of the monk's abilities also blocks haste and haste effects).

Spider's Bane, I'm not sure of. Arbane's Short short in the 2nd game also gives a form of free-action (only blocks harmful movement effects, not beneficial ones), but doesn't block haste (and the sword can cast haste 1/day, so I'd assume that's why)

Spider's Bane, I'm not sure of. Arbane's Short short in the 2nd game also gives a form of free-action (only blocks harmful movement effects, not beneficial ones), but doesn't block haste (and the sword can cast haste 1/day, so I'd assume that's why)

Just tested and apparently Spider's Bane does not block the Boots of Speed. Sorry for the confusion.

And I think Arbane was only ever supposed to protect you from Hold Person, nothing else.
  • XivirielXiviriel Member Posts: 166
    So maybe Im just crazy, but I thought the boots of speeds just increased movement speed in the origonal and tutu. However I know see that they are granting the haste effect which not only increases the movement speed but attack speed as well. This bonus to attack speed seems very OP.

Expected behavior: Boots of speed only improve movement speed.
  • TiaxRulesAllTiaxRulesAll Member Posts: 198
    I have had both kinds before, just read the descriptions i guess
  • XivirielXiviriel Member Posts: 166
    The description doesn't say which the intended effect is supposed to be. Both the pair found in the mine area and the ones sold in the Black Pitts are hasting me rather than just improving movement speed.
    edited December 2012
    Not sure about attack speed, but it's a known bug from both the original and BG2 that boots of speed cause 1/2 attacks to round up to a full attack.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336

Not sure about attack speed, but it's a known bug from both the original and BG2 that boots of speed cause 1/2 attacks to round up to a full attack.

I thought they addressed and fixed this.

I think one of the fixpacks fixes it...but haven't heard anything about it being acknowledged or needing fixed in this version yet.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Bug :
    Any character that has "half attacks per round" that equips the boots of speed will be granted 1/2 attack per round. (IE.: 3/2 attacks per round will become 2 attacks per round, 5/2 attacks per round will become 3 attacks per round and so on)

Expected behaviour :
    Equipping boots of speed doesn't alter the number of attacks per round
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    I know that in the original the boots of speed would apply the haste effect but it had been corrected by patches or fixpacks.

Is this behaviour in BG:EE intended to mimick the old BG classic haste behaviour?
    And if so, why is it so inconsistent as of now?
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    The original behaviour was to double the movement bonus, not apply a haste effect which IMO is an unnecessary bug. It is, however, possible to apply haste without an APR bonus (by a parameter2 specification IIRC) for what that's worth, but still no reason to use haste over opcode 176.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Yes, this bug is registered.
  • XianduXiandu Member Posts: 2
    Actually original bg did have the boots that way. Eventually through patches they changed it
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Miloch said:

The original behaviour was to double the movement bonus, not apply a haste effect which IMO is an unnecessary bug. It is, however, possible to apply haste without an APR bonus (by a parameter2 specification IIRC) for what that's worth, but still no reason to use haste over opcode 176.

The movement-only haste effect isn't cleared by the free action opcode, though, leading to the RoFA/BoS stack bug that occurs when you equip them in the wrong order. It also prevents regular haste from working since the engine itself prevents haste opcode stacking.

On the upside I've submitted a patch for this already.
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    Xiandu said:

Actually original bg did have the boots that way. Eventually through patches they changed it

then I confused it with the original BG2 behaviour maybe...

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    This will be handled in next patch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ogrim84Ogrim84 Member Posts: 7
    Hello all i seem to have a problem with the boots of speeds as wel and i have not seen anyone mentioning the fact that skills like hide in shadows, when they fail or succeed for that matter can be used much faster again when wearing the boots, they shorten the reuse time of ability's just like haste.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    The haste effect will be removed with the upcoming patch.