Skip to content

Is BG really needed on portable platforms?

egalor_originalegalor_original Member Posts: 92
I'm just curious. BG never attained the top six games in the Appstore, which was expected. Moreover, as I understand, the team and resources are still being spent on Android instead of finalising bgee1 and moving on to bgee2.

As for me, I could never play such games on any mobile platform (except for a laptop), but as long as it brings money to the devs I'm ok with it.

So, was the effort to release on mobile platforms really worth anything? EDIT: anything other than money?
Post edited by egalor_original on

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I agree I could never play a game as complex as bg on a tablet.

I expect it resulted in a lot of sales though, if that counts as being worth anything :p
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    It plays great on the iPad, and I'm happy to have BG on the go. I can play it anywhere now.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    If good enough sales on the new platforms helps paves the way for BG: Next (BG3), then in my book it's all good.

I'm not interested in playing the game on anything but a desktop PC, myself. But I can see how it could be neat to play it on an iPad or Android tablet.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    BG:EE plays pretty well on the ipad, and I'm glad to have it when i'm at work and such. (Drive a bus, and sometimes have really long breaks where i just sit around and clap the rythm of the song played on the radio.. so yeah, bg on ipad = good for me xD

On another side though, the iPad version has some very serious flaws.

There is no mouse cursor, so getting through doorways, looting or opening chests can be a right pain in the ass. Sometimes have to try entering doors 20-30 times, before i actually hit the transition area.. same goes for loot and chests (even zoomed in)
    And there are performance issues with stinking cloud and such spells.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Personally, I see no need other than to bolster sales and increased visibility. But apparently some people are purchasing for that platform. And so long as they have a positive experience, I am fine with it. Do I think it was "Needed"? No. But clearly it is wanted.

As for the opportunity cost being at the expense of team working on BG2EE, that remains to be seen. I would bet that the net delay to BG2EE will be marginal. But who knows.

I personally would not play on a tablet. First of all, I understand that the UI is not ideal and that being able to click/select some things like the knot where the Ring of Wizardry is found can be a bit challenging. But I don't suspect that it is impossible. And as I write this, i am sure someone will pony up and tell me I am wrong on this.

In the end (TO ME) BG is the type of game that I want to sit down and play for hours at a stretch. And I don't think I would enjoy that on a tablet. But that is only my way of seeing it. I am sure others think differently.

If it makes money and proliferates this type of game, win.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    Whether or not it was worth porting to tablets and the like really is subjective isn't it? If you are one of the people who want it then I would say it was worth it for them? Personally I'm only going to be playing it on laptop/desktop but that shouldn't stand in the way of others? Besides if it does mean more money in the pockets of the devs/company and thus make it more likely that other games will see like treatment (possibly even granting us BG3) then I say hell yes!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The impossibilty of modding the IPad version is all that is keeping me away from it. My doubts about mod support for OSX also made me prefer to buy the Windows version as well.

If after release the OSX version has good support from the modding community, I'll probably buy it as well.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    Well I don't want to say you're completely wrong spyder, there is a learning curve for using the different interface. And I imagine it would be even worse if I wasn't already so familiar with the game. But really the difficulties are minor, I picked up the previously mentioned Ring of Wizardry on my third try, and of course that comes early in the game. There actually is a trick to doing such things easily (it involves the pause button); but at this point, I'm nearly done with exploring the city before running back to Candlekeep, I don't even need such tricks anymore. I know where to touch to get what I want.
    There are a few other issues with the game and interface, but we've been assured a patch is in the pipeline that should address most of them.
    More than anything, I'm excited about what this means for the future. Both the possibility of more serious and involved games making their way onto tablets, and maybe even more retro games being converted too. I don't know if it will ever replace the home base sort of computer, but I sure do love a very capable, very portable game machine.
  • JustariusJustarius Member Posts: 43
    Whether it was worth it is something that only Overhaul can answer. They'll be tracking their resource use across profit streams.

I'm pleased they did it. iPad port is not perfect but still damn enjoyable and I like having one of the best RPG's of all time available damn near everywhere.
    @atcDave. Glad to hear that the UI isn't horrible. And that you are having a good experience with it.

And while there is clearly a market for "More complex" games on the tablet, I wonder just how large it is. I guess this will be a good test to find out.

The OP indicated that they believed it would hit the top three in the App store. I strongly suspect that it will never reach the kind of popularity of something like Angry Birds. quite frankly there are far more casual gamer and non-gamer users of the Ipad than there will ever be RPG enthusiasts.

But I am glad that it is generating revenue. Here's hoping that we get more BG and games like it in the future.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Long : iOS and Android users are really happy for (iOS) or impatiently anticipating (Android) BGEE versions for their tablets to be able to play their beloved RPG on their travels/school/everywhere. It's a legendary game and if this one would not need a portableOS port, what would? Yes, it will also get to customers that aren't focused on PC and earn more money for the company. (Success of BGEE=more overhauled games). You should not simply throw a segment of gaming overboard only because you aren't part of it. And overhaul would be stupid to ignore it too. I too am waiting for Android version to release for my tablet.

Short : HELL YES!
  • kevzeviltwinkevzeviltwin Member Posts: 6
    Glad they did. I enjoy it while traveling. I bought the iPad version first and remembered how much I enjoyed the game so I bought it for PC too.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    this questions needs to be a poll
  • sharpiejassharpiejas Member Posts: 35
    I have brought both versions, I play the Ipad version more simply because I can. Yes their are differences, but getting to play my fav game on the go is worth the flaws so far
  • pipinhopipinho Member Posts: 55
    while it may not have been top six in applestore i remember it being up there for a while. Also, take into consideration that BG costs two or even three times more than most ipad games so considering all that it's doing quite well IMHO and that's why the developers are spending so much time into making the game rigtht for ipad. tablets are the future and it's market is simply too large to ignore.
  • hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98
    I play bg on my iPad, have it on my laptop but never finished it, Ive been playing it in bed after work every night, whether I'm at home or on the road trucking, bg2ee better come out on iPad or else....
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

So, was the effort to release on mobile platforms really worth anything?

Well, yes! Of course ...

EDIT: anything other than money?

Oh. Umm. I got nothin'.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Meh, the hardcore know that it's meant for PC

More exposure = more injections of nostalgia for the unexposed. Their worlds will be changed and chaos shall be sown
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    In short..Yes...I even have it on my PSP (It's pretty clunky though, pause is your friend), and is a epic enough, and replay-able enough, that it makes for an excellent game.
  • etotheoetotheo Member Posts: 61
    edited January 2013
    Personally I am very much looking forward to the Android release. Having a mobile BG:EE with me will be great. I have a young family and the time available to me on the desktop at home is very limited.

I hope that Overhaul finds the support from the Android community it needs for them to justify moving forward with a BG2:EE release for that OS.

And I also think that this work is a great foundation for what may come to the Windows 8 (touch related) movement...
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    On the side note, I'm curious how BGEE fares on Windows 7 tablet pc...
  • theleethelee Member Posts: 76

I'm just curious. BG never attained the top six games in the Appstore, which was expected. Moreover, as I understand, the team and resources are still being spent on Android instead of finalising bgee1 and moving on to bgee2.

As for me, I could never play such games on any mobile platform (except for a laptop), but as long as it brings money to the devs I'm ok with it.

So, was the effort to release on mobile platforms really worth anything? EDIT: anything other than money?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: I can play BGEE on my commute or - like what happened during the holidays - when I was far away from home and didn't feel like lugging around a laptop. I'm sure there are plenty of people (as evidenced by BGEE's explosion on to the top charts when it was first released) also feel like playing an amazing, classic game in a mobile form factor.

Longer answer: Other than the money? Isn't that the whole idea? If they did just the PC, they'd basically be tying themselves to a business model that existed and flourished from the 90s to the early aughts, if that. PC is not the huge growth market, it's more the mature market. In fact, I would venture to say their potential OS X support is based more on the fact that it'd be an easy get after working on an iOS version rather than because they think there's a lot of opportunity there. Any aspirational project these days _inevitably_ has to be cross platform or at least on a newer, growing platform.

Honestly, I'm kind of stunned the kind of priviliged push-back that self-professed PC gamers/hardcore gamers against Beamdog's push into non-PC markets. Have y'all forgotten what's been happening to the games industry since the 90s or the fact that every AAA title is on multiple platforms these days? If Beamdog had said "we are going to remake BG but just for the PC" they might as well have said "we love leaving money on the table." I mean, Beamdog already had to do a lot re-coding to get the 90s-era code up to snuff (this ain't BGTutu), why stop with the PC?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Actually, I think Trent mentioned a few months ago that the first thought he had about the EE had to do with the iPad. So I wouldn't be surprised if the satisfaction of seeing it on a touch-screen was enough to make it worthwhile.
    I think the real question on the OP's mind was, does everyone think that the Opportunity cost of porting it to the Ipad was worth the lift it gave to sales.

In this instance the opportunity cost is the amount of time/effort/resources being used on that endeavor that could be used to release BG2:EE or other similar games sooner.

For that, I would say probably. Again, I won't purchase the Ipad version. But clearly others are. And that makes me happy. I can wait a little longer for more BG:EE style games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98

Is BG needed on portable platforms? Well, it didn't exist there, so I'd say yes. Having access to a game with the quality of BG on a machine with the portability of an iPad is amazing. Contrarily, the game has been available on PC all along... so a better question is, was BGEE needed on the PC?

Of course, people seem to be buying it, and a community has sprung up around it that was ignorant of, or that just didn't care about, the old version. So that's great. The more the merrier.

I do wonder, though, about this attitude of "don't divert resources away from BG2EE!!" The primary "enhancement" of BGEE (not the only one, but the main one) is to have the old game run on the BG2 engine. But... BG2 already runs on the BG2 engine (duh). If you want to play BG2 on the BG2 engine, you can do it right now. So, I'm not sure I understand the excitement about that...

That its coming out on the IPAD :D

• elvis_minorelvis_minor Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2013
    Well, I have both the PC and Ipad version and, of course, the PC version is a better experience. But, of course, I can't put my PC in my bag and take it with me. My PC stays at home where my wife, kids, housework, television, and bed all happen to live as well so it has to vie for attention with lots of other things. The Ipad goes with me to the dentist or wherever and its a godsend to help pass the boring bits of life. That's why I think it actually IS necessary... if I only played on my PC I'd still be stuck killing spiders in Beregost. To be honest I'll probably only buy BG2EE on Ipad given how little I've gotten to mess with the PC version this time around and I think my experience is far from unique given that the people who played this game when it came out are all well into adulthood by now with many of the same time restrictions as I have. Of course, I could be wrong... wouldn't be the first time...