Skip to content

Ursa the Bear

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
edited March 2013 in Not An Issue
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by mlnevese on

Comments

• AdosAdos Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    Another one in the Xvart village map.

I'm not sure if it's my luck (or the Xvarts' bad luck for that matter) but in my game the bear attacked the very Xvart that called for its protection - Nexlit, the Xvart leader.
    Post edited by Tanthalas on
  • ZanmaZanma Member Posts: 10
    Not a bug. That's always happened, it's because the xvarts can't really tame a cave bear.
    Aedan
  • RagnarokRagnarok Member Posts: 26
    They're so small... The cave bear might enjoy a lunch. Poor, poor, poor little fellow... Oh wait, they are cunning evil backstabbers, they can rot in hell for all I care!
  • AdosAdos Member Posts: 3
    Zanma said:

Not a bug. That's always happened, it's because the xvarts can't really tame a cave bear.

Now THAT'S what I call game design 'depth'. Didn't know this was supposed to be a possibility. Well done BioWare. Ta hell with all those little blue abominations.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Lol, there's actually a big discussion on how Ursa should behave, but yeah, at worse this is just BGEE having the same behaviour as BG1.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Wait, is Ursa character from Dota named after this bear?
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    Torin said:

Wait, is Ursa character from Dota named after this bear?

Probably not but they probably have the same inspiration namely that Ursa means she-bear in Latin.
    Lilacor
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Do you know if this is something that was changed in Tutu? Because playing BG:EE, I was surprised when Ursa attacked the xvarts, as this is something that I didn't remember ever happening before, but that could just be because it's been so long since I played vanilla.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    For me in Vanilla Ursa kindly disregards my party as she slaughters all the Xvarts. Or at least Nexlit.
    I don't know for Tutu, but it definitely was there in Vanilla :)
    Lilacor
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited December 2012

For me in Vanilla Ursa kindly disregards my party as she slaughters all the Xvarts. Or at least Nexlit.
    I don't know for Tutu, but it definitely was there in Vanilla :)

Haha, yeah same thing happened for me in my current BG:EE playthrough, she made a beeline Nexlit. Poor guy just finished his line about how Ursa will protect them and then immediately got mauled by her.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Huh.

I guess I always just killed her too quickly to see what she would do...
    ElectricMonk
  • notcromnotcrom Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2012
    Is this supposed to happen? I don't remember this ever happening.
    Post edited by Balquo on
  • jscohenjscohen Member Posts: 117
    I have seen it happen in the Enhanced Edition.

Actually, I have also seen it happen in Tutu; maybe it's some underlying bug or interaction from the original BG1.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    No, it intended. Nexlit fails :D
    Aedan
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited December 2012
    I always thought it was pretty funny.

"don't call up what you can't put down" as it says on the gravestone.
    Aedan
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited December 2012
    I confirm, that happened in the original BG too. Was funny to see the poor smurf being mauled by the supposed "allied" he summoned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Thus far every time I have been to the Xvart village and Nexlit gives his little speech and summons Ursa - Ursa immediately attacks HIM - this time I watched fairly closely and Ursa ignored members of my party that were attacking her and was focused on attacking Nexlit (until she died just as she reached him) - the dialoge shows her attacking him as well (Ursa attacks Nexlit).

Bug or feature? If it's a feature some sort of explaination would be welcome - maybe he woke her up and she's not a morning bear? She sees my partys awesomeness and wants to kill Nexlit for summoning her to her death? ;-)
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited January 2013
    feature - Nexlit thinks he controls the bear, epic fail.
    SirK8Aedan
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    I'm pretty sure this behavior existed in vanilla as well... most likely this is a feature. As to why... yeah I don't know, maybe his charm animal spell just wore off ;)
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418

feature - Nexlit thinks he controls the bear, epic fail.

I can see where that works -

and it's not like the Xvarts give you any opportunity to leave them in peace when you approach the village either.

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I didn't remember this from vanilla and I found it hilarous that when I ran from Ursa she decided to attack Nexlit instead. I then proceeded to attack Ursa with my whole party while she was focused on Nexlit. While Ursa died Nexlit immediately had a morale failure :)
  • forbjokforbjok Member Posts: 31
    You know, I never noticed that, and I've probably played through the game 40 or so times, in most or all of its many versions from original pre-TotSC BG1 to Tutu, BGT and EE...
    I probably always killed Nexlit and/or Ursa too fast, or I was just too busy directing the battle to notice what exactly the bear was attacking...

Then again, it's been a long time since I actually bothered to fight through the Xvart village.
  • SymeSyme Member Posts: 23
    In the Xvart village when Ursa is called. The bear apears and go kill the xvart leader ignoring group. The bear is hostile but prefers to kill the leader.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    See also here :-p
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    My BG:EE playthrough is the first time I can remember noticing this as well; I was quite amused to see Ursa shamble past me toward Nexlit (after showing up at the back of my group by my vulnerable party members) and proceed to crush him, and his spirit.

I suppose I've always dealt with her more quickly or perhaps tutu/bgt (or scs, etc.) changes her behavior and so I just don't recall this from vanilla.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Attaaaack. They scream "Attack" in your face, of course everyone hearing it is going to attack them.