Skip to content

Character Animations

KenKen Member Posts: 226
Hi, just preordered the game, and looking forward to playing again!

Anyway, I modded on BG in the old days (tjeck out "Back to Baldurs Gate" if it's still there) and I could never never stand the way the animations changed from BG1 to BG2. Therefore I was forced to use modding tools and such to change my character to the "monk" animations (Think of the Cowled Wizards)

Is there any way that we can have the old character animations from BG1 in the new BG:EE? Or can I still use the old modding tools to change my appearence?

*Just noticed this mod http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/972-1pp-animation-fixes-for-iwd-totlm/*

Can the same be done for BG2?

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited July 2012
    I don't want BG2's animations to be touched really. BG1 loses it's original cosmetics when it uses BG2 engine, but this can be fixed with 1PP (although I don't like ALL of the changes 1PP makes, for example, the helmets from Candlekeep store with horns on them don't have horns with 1PP).

I doubt they'll put 1PP with BG2:EE, now that would be a shame.

EDIT: Hold up, are you talking about the actual animations or the graphics?
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    edited July 2012
    Animations! I hated BG2's animations, they all look like jelly when they get hit.. BG1 were more static/solid I guess

You can see what I mean on the link above

*» Use IWD/BG1 (legacy) character animations in HoW/TotLM*
    Ward
    Yes I get it now, you're right everything should be restored.

I don't know why the hell using the BG2 engine replaces all the animations, paperdolls, sounds and avatars in the first place. But everything should be restored.
    From what I figured out, the biggest problem is dual-wield. It makes the game instantly crash when using the old models. If they fixed that, then I don't think there would be a problem.

But then again, that means either making new animations, which they can't or somehow make the engine ignore the missing attack animation when dual wielding (which would look stupid, but still preferable for me).
    The old screenshots from BG2 shows the old animations in use.
    edited July 2012
    @AndreaColombo has said he can do the missing work. I don't know why Beamdog aren't making an effort to try and fix the problem. It isn't going to go away.

EDIT: I don't think that any animation changes, if possible anyway, will happen for BG:EE now. But it certainly could happen as DLC, I don't see why it couldn't.
    Well then @AndreaColombo is my new god apparently!
    Ward
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Why, thank you @Ken! :)

I have already put forth a request for the devs to fix the crash that occurs when BG1 animations are made to dual-wield. Last time I checked, @ScottBrooks was looking into it. I have no idea how things are progressing, if at all, but if the crash is fixed and the animations' struct is rebuilt so that they can actually display a weapon in the off-hand, I can do the missing animation work. I had actually been discussing this with Miloch over SHS for months when they announced BG:EE - we stopped discussing it because we wanted to see whether the release of BG:EE would change something.

Once we know for sure whether the crash is gone and struct has been rebuilt, I'll see what can be done about the missing animations. It may take a long while before things get done 'cause the animation work to do is, like, A LOT.
    I would pay for it as DLC :)