Skip to content

How much open locks and find traps skill do you need?

2»

Comments

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Zarakinthish, @leeho730 -

If I'm not mistaken, trap difficulty 100 is hardcoded as undisarmable mo matter how high your skill is.
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    Dunno... I was able to remove all the traps in Thieves guild... Imoen (level 8 thief) with 100 open lock and 101 find trap skills.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Does anyone know how dice rolls factor into disarming traps/picking locks? I've noticed that sometimes I'll fail to pick a lock the first time, but if I try a few more times I'll get it. I think the same thing has happened when trying to disarm traps.
  • JTMJTM Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2013

actually, why don't you just use the shield amulet? sets AC to 4, can be worn with protective items, no maluses to thieving skills, and you can easily fight in it. it's the perfect item for these kind of situations.

Oh, I definitely agree. It's why my thief-(usually Imoen)- gets the shield amulet asap. For just gallivanting around, she wears armor...but more critical situations I like the shield buff. For scouting and detecting/disarming she's invisible and non-attack to preserve her invisibility. :)

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173

The altar in the Durlag's Tower chapel (where the Tome of Understanding is) has a trap with 90 to detect and 100 to disarm. The odd thing is that even with a 100 skill I've yet to be able to disarm it.

Could it be possible that your equipment lowered the disarming skill?

• ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    The only item I know of that would lower trap skill is elven chain, and shadow armor is what is being worn.
    edited January 2013

The only item I know of that would lower trap skill is elven chain, and shadow armor is what is being worn.

I think the shadow armor has -10 penalty on disarming traps that's just not visible on the character sheet.

Edit. Lol. Edited the wrong post.

Post edited by Wilbur on
    Nope. I just double checked in Near Infinity and there is no penalty.

Nope. I just double checked in Near Infinity and there is no penalty.

Ok, thanks. That's good to now.

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    edited January 2013
    I'm 99% sure that the only thief-wearable armours that negatively affect thieving skills are those I previously mentioned - the new +2 "Rugged Leather" armour, Hide Armour, Elven Chain. That's it, unless you have a mod installed. You can see the thieving modifiers for the aforementioned armours here:
    http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/chap6.htm

Interestingly, if you have a multi-classed thief, for all armours from chain mail upwards:

"Blocks the use of all Thieving skills *except Detect Traps and Detect Illusions*, although it confers no penalties to these skills"

i.e. a fighter/thief can wear full-plate mail with *no penalty" to their Detect Traps and Detect Illusions abilities! Ive just tested this and it seems true!

Of course you still have to take such armour off to *Disarm* a trap, as the "Thieving" button will be greyed out otherwise.
    Yes, that bit of micromanagement got to be too much of a pain (especially in Durlag's Tower), which is why I have a fighter/thief always walking around in shadow armor instead of full plate and shadow armor in inventory. It isn't too bad though, as he and Minsc manage to have the same AC (-1). Can't wait until Imoen gets her thief skills back.
  • SandmanSandman Member Posts: 73
    Just wanted to report this, but in my first go around, Imoen had over 100% Find and Remove traps ability and disarmed the trap just fine.

2nd go around with a custom party and my thief has 100% exactly and I tripped the trap trying to disarm it. My thief did not have any penalties due to armor and such in effect.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Sandman said:

Just wanted to report this, but in my first go around, Imoen had over 100% Find and Remove traps ability and disarmed the trap just fine.

2nd go around with a custom party and my thief has 100% exactly and I tripped the trap trying to disarm it. My thief did not have any penalties due to armor and such in effect.

Is there chance of critical failure, perhaps?
    I'm almost certain there is some kind of dice roll related to disarming a trap, but I have no idea how it works.