Skip to content

Tricky basilisks

2»

Comments

• KennisKennis Member Posts: 124
    Viconia - 5th level - Animate Dead. Proceed to rock.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I have always liked fighting basilisks. In fact they are one of my favorite enemies in BG1. I even like the possibility of sudden death (I obviously don't play no reload :)). Basilisk is kind of like the BG1 version of a Beholder, which is probably my all time favorite AD&D creature.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited January 2013
    leeho730 said:

OK. It's a name. But still. Corax.

Haha someone obviously player Warhammer too!
    @leeho730 : He might...

But in old "latin" language (like old greek and such ...)

Corax means black (Black Raven = Corvus Corax)

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited January 2013

leeho730 said:

OK. It's a name. But still. Corax.

Haha someone obviously player Warhammer too!
    @leeho730 : He might...

But in old "latin" language (like old greek and such ...)

Corax means black (Black Raven = Corvus Corax)

Actually in latin both "Corax" and "Corvus" mean Raven, they're synonym. I don't know why they choose this silly name for this particular bird, but a proper translation in latin of "Black Raven" would be "Corvus Nigrum" or "Corvus Atrum".

Edit: Proper translation is "Corvus Niger" or "Corvus Ater" as Corvus is a masculine name. Thanks to @Montresor_SP for pointing this out.
    Post edited by Erg on
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    @Erg : Ok, thanks :)

Since I wonder how many people are unaware that a lot of things existed before warhammer ^^
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited January 2013
    You'd have thought they'd have gone with Corvus Corvus or Corax Corax, like with other common animals (like the epically named Rattus Rattus or Gorilla Gorilla), or gone with a more descriptive name (Like Vampiroteuthis Infernalis).
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Erg said:

Actually in latin both "Corax" and "Corvus" mean Raven, they're synonym. I don't know why they choose this silly name for this particular bird, but a proper translation in latin of "Black Raven" would be "Corvus Nigrum" or "Corvus Atrum".

And just to nitpick, it should be Corvus Niger, since Corvus is masculine (2nd declension). :-)

Vampiroteuthis Infernalis

I admit I had to google this one.

I bet it's not as bad as the name suggests (i.e. Vampire Squid from Hell), nevertheless I hope I will never meet one :-)
    edited January 2013

Erg said:

And just to nitpick, it should be Corvus Niger, since Corvus is masculine (2nd declension). :-)
    Of course, you're right. Facepalm, my Latin is rustier than I thought.
    Post edited by Erg on
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Erg said:

Vampiroteuthis Infernalis

I admit I had to google this one.

I bet it's not as bad as the name suggests (i.e. Vampire Squid from Hell), nevertheless I hope I will never meet one :-)
    They live really deep down, and aren't very big at all, so the chances are it wouldn't be able to do much as you would either be in a reinforced submersible or already crushed to death from the water pressure. Kraken this thing aint, but it does have an epic name.