Skip to content

BG1 ---> BG2 transition and npc continuity (weapon *** and attributes)

earnestearnest Member Posts: 10
When you imported saves in the previous installments of these games, the only affected character was your protagonist. It didn't matter if you mashed all proficiency points into missile weapons, Jaheira would still be there waiting in BG2 with her 2 points in clubs and you always chugged the 4 (!) wisdom tomes yourself, even on your thief because they wouldn't carry over on Minsc or Viconia anyway.

Since BG1 will now be running on the BG2 engine, I would really like to see a better transition between the two games, where more of your choices and decisions (atleast as far as npc stats go, but also things like dualclassing etc) actually carry over.

This brings up another point too; I believe Jaheira and Viconia both change their attributes between the two games, will you (are you allowed to?) do anything about this discrepancy?
Kukaracha

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I'm not a fan of the one game linking to the next concept, but I have no doubts there will be some kind of continuity because it's so widely asked for.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Actually, Edwin and Minsc also had improved stats in BG2. Hopefully if they normalize the stats, they'll use the BG2 values.
    The_New_Romance
  • earnestearnest Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2012
    Ward said:

I'm not a fan of the one game linking to the next concept, but I have no doubts there will be some kind of continuity because it's so widely asked for.

mind if I ask why not? It is a sequel after all and with the new streamlining of engines, it ought to be no different than going from BG2 to TOB surely? Conceivably you will still have the option to export/import, severing all ties between your past and future life :) I am all for more choices.
    Tanthalas said:

Hopefully if they normalize the stats, they'll use the BG2 values.

Hopefully!

Post edited by earnest on
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @Earnest

I just like Baldur's Gate to end, so it doesn't feel like I have to start playing another whole one after it.

But I'd rather they link together even though I like it the way they are, there's enough people who like BGT that I'd rather they get what they want. I'm a selfless, masochistic fellow. XD
    Sirrion
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Tanthalas said:

Actually, Edwin and Minsc also had improved stats in BG2. Hopefully if they normalize the stats, they'll use the BG2 values.

Same for Jaheira and Viconia. Jaheria's dexteriy rises from 14 to 17, and Viconia's wisdom rises from 15 to 18.

• FirelordninjaFirelordninja Member Posts: 2
    I already have the "Baldur's Gate 4 in 1 boxset" and I intend to start a new game in BG I in the future.I had been playing BG II until some months ago and stopped because it was not challenging even in the insane difficulty level, but that 's not my main concern, Bg I was quite difficult to play in the early events of the game and insane difficulty level would be much more difficult in the beginning than at the later stages of the game (unless insane difficulty level does not exist in the first game, I don 't remember).My main concern is if they 're going to have the main character import from the first BG to the second one.I hope they will, and it 's fairly probable to do so, as I would hate to start my new character in the enhanced BG I after completing it and start a new one at the BG II enhanced edition if it is released.

P.S: I 'm not braging about the insane difficulty level, I just anticipated my enemies strategies.

P.S: Pleace excuse my flawed english :)
  • earnestearnest Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2012
    @ward
    I think the first installment should still have a sense of completion upon... completion. The only difference should be that if you choose to continue with BG2 you would do so with a self generated, instead of pregenerated template as far as your companions skills go.
    Ward said:

there's enough people who like BGT that I'd rather they get what they want. I'm a selfless, masochistic fellow. XD

from the sidelines of selfish narcissism, I applaud you!

@Firelordninja
    I am fairly certain they will let you continue from one enhanced edition to the next as under the current system. Although whether or not you will be able to import from the "old" version to the enhanced edition I cannot say.

And no need to apologize, friend. Your English is fine.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    An option for saving stats and things would be to set them as flags on your protagonist in which the game checks for those flags and sets stats/proficiencies accordingly and would set them based on the character and what was accomplished in BG1 so if you gave the tomes away you wouldn't feel ridiculous for giving them to yourself.

This would also alleviate any issue from those that don't want a linked game.
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    edited July 2012
    When I played the bg trillogy I had grand old time replaying from start to finish. The reason for this was because I had had Imoen in my party through BG1 and in BG2 she remained unchanged from BG1 a level 8 or so thief. And it was now, more than 10 years after I originally played this game first, that I got the feeling that some bastard stole my Imoen and I should get my thief back.

If the characters change so much between games you lose connection with them and the desired effect of the developers is lost.
    Post edited by Worg on