Skip to content

Allow us to ascend a willing companion in ToB?

This might be too drastic a change, but I think that it would be a very nice touch if we could choose a character to become our Exarch if we ascend (as long as the character's personality would allow them to accept ascension). It would add a bit more RP to the ending, as well as allow players to keep their Love Interest with them and still ascend. Anyone think this is a good idea?

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Fine idea, as long as it doesn't violate the contract that Overhaul made. I'm afraid it actually does.
    elminster
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Don't really see why they'd need to. IF you ascend, just have your love interest swap worship to you, and when they eventually die, they'll come to live in your divine realm in whatever luxury you wish to lavish on them. Or hell, just promote them to a seraph or something....Cyric did that to Malik basically on a whim, so I don't see why you couldn't.
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2012
    only Imoen could ascend instead of you because of the heritage, and it's a sin this option wasn't included in the first place!
    The_New_Romance
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Yea but why force Imoen to ascend when she obviously wouldn't want to anyways? The only ones who WOULD want to ascend other than your PC are all evil doing Bhaalspawns, so I don't know if this would be a good idea.

It would be even sillier to TRICK Imoen to ascend because I have no idea what the PC would get out of it
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Xavioria said:

Yea but why force Imoen to ascend when she obviously wouldn't want to anyways? The only ones who WOULD want to ascend other than your PC are all evil doing Bhaalspawns, so I don't know if this would be a good idea.

It would be even sillier to TRICK Imoen to ascend because I have no idea what the PC would get out of it

with enough pre-persuasion, she might want to

if the Imoen romance mod for ToB is ever released, it might be very possible to ascend her instead of yourself
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I still don't see it... it's a bit of a stretch... I COULD see Aerie becoming chaotic evil, but not Imoen wanting to become a Goddess... she tries to fade into the shadows too much. She's kind of like your sidekick!
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    The went through a lot of trouble to point out that Imoen wants in no way to be the new Lord of Murder.
    you're forgetting there's a "good" ending to ToB?

a benevolent deity of murder would assure the people who "deserve" it (tyrants, criminals etc) are murdered. one could still do a lot of good, no stretch at all

like I said, canonic Imoen isn't really all that developed, but that's what the Imoen romance mod (which in my eyes is 100% canon because it's just that amazingly good) is for.

anyway, the original question of this topic was about ascending anybody but the pc, and only Imoen fits the bill (Sarevok maybe, but that would indeed be a stretch)
  • ObjulenObjulen Member Posts: 93
    LMTR14 said:

anyway, the original question of this topic was about ascending anybody but the pc, and only Imoen fits the bill (Sarevok maybe, but that would indeed be a stretch)

Even Sarevok wouldn't fit, because he lost his Bhaal spark when he died. Even ressurected, he's a normal mortal with no connection to Bhaal's divine energies, so Imoen's really the only one who fits.

There was a mod released which allows you to attempt to redeem Iranicus in the final battle of ToB. One possibility would be to introduce his possible redemption first, and then he could use his knowledge of soul manipulation to tie our Bhaal essence to someone else, but I'm pretty sure that would violate the contract Overhaul has with Wizards.

pff.. with an oppressive contract like this in place it's utterly pointless to discuss any feature requests here, I think I'll rather put my trust in the modders

and of course [x] NO to a BG3 if there isn't full creative freedom!
  • KushuKushu Member Posts: 70
    HA! Did you know that the nickname for the Irenicus redemption mod is TL:DR?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Just to clarify, I did not mean let us make someone else become a God at the end of the game.

I was suggesting that it might be cool if we could choose a companion to become our champion if CHARNAME ascended-not sure if I worded that correctly, sorry!
    Tome said:

Just to clarify, I did not mean let us make someone else become a God at the end of the game.

I was suggesting that it might be cool if we could choose a companion to become our champion if CHARNAME ascended-not sure if I worded that correctly, sorry!

in 3rd edition it's called a proxy. like I said in another thread, controlling a party member which became a proxy of charname is a good idea for a possible bg3
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    The term is Exarch, I think.

Forgotten Realms Wiki definition:

Exarchs are often called demigods (but note that exarchs are not gods (as in Demigods) of demipower status, despite the name) or heroes, and many are ascended mortal servants of greater gods, brought up from the world to serve as agents of their divine masters.

I think it'd be pretty cool to ascend a willing companion in such a manner. I know that the hero probably becomes an Intermediate Deity rather than a Greater Deity, but I'm pretty sure that (s)he should still be capable. This is probably better territory for a mod than a Feature, now that I think about it. If my modding skills increase by BG2:EE's release, I'll probably bring out something like this.
    edited January 2013
    Tome said:

The term is Exarch, I think.

Forgotten Realms Wiki definition:

Exarchs are often called demigods (but note that exarchs are not gods (as in Demigods) of demipower status, despite the name) or heroes, and many are ascended mortal servants of greater gods, brought up from the world to serve as agents of their divine masters.

I think it'd be pretty cool to ascend a willing companion in such a manner. I know that the hero probably becomes an Intermediate Deity rather than a Greater Deity, but I'm pretty sure that (s)he should still be capable. This is probably better territory for a mod than a Feature, now that I think about it. If my modding skills increase by BG2:EE's release, I'll probably bring out something like this.

exarch? in 4th ed maybe (which we all know is non-canon bullshit).

in REAL d&d demigods are lesser gods but with a divine rank higher than 0. the information on proxies is in 3rd edition's Deities and Demigods. summed up it says that Proxies are divine minions invested with a small part of the deity's power and a divine rank of 1, also sharing some of the divine abilities of the deity. so like I said, this would be perfect for bg 3. the possibililty of an epic level campaign while still avoiding a completely overpowered main character.

like you said, would also work as a potential mod set after the events of ToB. if you really do that mod at some point, I would certainly be interested in being a writer or consultant if you need one :-)