Skip to content

Game Update 1.0.2012

Comments

• ljboljbo Member Posts: 177

While I agree, the old weight allowance and stack quantity font sizes were too small, can we somehow find a middle ground [...]

The new font size is just ungodly huge and unruly.

The key problem imho is not the font size, as the new size is more or less on par with the size used to display AC, Thac0, etc. The real problem is that the developers just scaled up a bitmap font, which makes the digits look absolutely horrible. The blown-up anti-aliasing of the original bitmap font is clearly visible. Tested on Windows of course as this is the only platform reached by the patch at the time of writing.
    ErgOxford_Guymtyler11TJ_Hooker
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

BTW in Shadow Keeper, I can no longer see the Elven Chain mail listed, very strange... Also if you try to use the console to add it in using the previous code (CHAN12.ITM), the game says this item doesn't exist! I'm worried now that somehow it's actually been removed by mistake...

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?
    I read in another thread that the Elven Chain is still in game and you can get it in Dorn questline, just later.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Erg said:

BTW in Shadow Keeper, I can no longer see the Elven Chain mail listed, very strange... Also if you try to use the console to add it in using the previous code (CHAN12.ITM), the game says this item doesn't exist! I'm worried now that somehow it's actually been removed by mistake...

I read in another thread that the Elven Chain is still in game and you can get it in Dorn questline, just later.
    But if it's not listed as an item, I can't see how it can be in the game, or maybe it's just my install?

Erg said:

But if it's not listed as an item, I can't see how it can be in the game, or maybe it's just my install?
    I can still see it as CHAN12.ITM with NI.
  • Fluid29Fluid29 Member Posts: 62
    Sounds very promising for the OS X Release! Thank you!
    Erg said:

Erg said:

Okay, me too, it's odd that Shadowkeeper doesn't list it, though, nor can you use the console to add it in.
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    I prefer the old small fonts. Give us a scale meter to adjust font size please.
    Oxford_Guy

Features:
    * Black Lily purchases stolen goods

I'm puzzled by this, because Black Lily had already the Fence Flag set in 1.0.2011 according to NI, but I never tried to sell stolen goods to her.

Wasn't this working as expected before?
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    @erg it had to be added at some point because bg1 had no such flag. It might be that it was added in r2011, though. About the font size in item usage count: i suggested an option for it as it is useful for some people on the PC too.

@erg it had to be added at some point because bg1 had no such flag. It might be that it was added in r2011, though. About the font size in item usage count: i suggested an option for it as it is useful for some people on the PC too.

@Avenger_teambg, thanks for clarifying.

About the font size, the main problem imho is the missing gap between numbers and units in weight allowance. It is possible to do something about that too?

Anyway, you have my thanks also for all the hard work on patching the game and for taking in account user feedback when it is reasonable.
  • DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
    edited January 2013
    ljbo said:

The key problem imho is not the font size, as the new size is more or less on par with the size used to display AC, Thac0, etc. The real problem is that the developers just scaled up a bitmap font, which makes the digits look absolutely horrible. The blown-up anti-aliasing of the original bitmap font is clearly visible. Tested on Windows of course as this is the only platform reached by the patch at the time of writing.

Erg said:

About the font size, the main problem imho is the missing gap between numbers and units in weight allowance. It is possible to do something about that too?

I think these two issues are the key.

- The digits look horrible (low resolution)
    - The missing gap
    ErgParys
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    The elven chainmail is not available to a solo character? You have to recruit Dorn for this?
  • RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    edited January 2013
    As many other new items, unfortunately...

EDIT: new as in BG1:EE, that were not in vanilla BG1
  • selkyraselkyra Member Posts: 54
    I had hoped they would fix the stacking issue. You're unable to pick up arrows or other stackable items although you have an existing stack of those items. You can only do it if you open the inventory screen and pick up the items there which is mighty inconvenient.
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    This sucks. It's like they force you to use their new characters. Hope the modders will take care of this.
    selkyra said:

I had hoped they would fix the stacking issue. You're unable to pick up arrows or other stackable items although you have an existing stack of those items. You can only do it if you open the inventory screen and pick up the items there which is mighty inconvenient.

Yes, that's annoying , though I can live with it
    DarKelP said:

ljbo said:

Erg said:

- The missing gap
    *and* they're too big, somewhere in between the old and the new size, please.

The digits do indeed look horrible compared to most of the rest of the interface, which looks very professional
    I think it's been said that the elve
    gunman said:

The elven chainmail is not available to a solo character? You have to recruit Dorn for this?

I think it's been said that the elven chain doesn't drop in the initial main encounter (the one after the FAI one), but a later one - I hope it's before you can access Baldur's Gate, though, as it's needed early on for Bards in particular, and by the time you can enter BG, mages will likely have acquired the Archmagi robes, which are better than the elven chain, so it becomes somewhat redundant (except for bards)

Erg said:

Erg said:

Okay, me too, it's odd that Shadowkeeper doesn't list it, though, nor can you use the console to add it in.
    @Oxford_Guy

I checked and the console works for me. I've successfully used the following command

CLUAConsole:CreateItem("CHAN12",1)

Are you sure you didn't misspell it?

I don't know about you, but I tend to write CHAIN12 instead of CHAN12 most of the times :-)
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    DarKelP said:

- The missing gap

Agreed about the latter indeed. As for the former, thou shall never scale a bitmap font! Again imho, they should not have touch the size if they could not invest the time in an outline font, which is the only way to get proper scaling, even if they eventually need to rasterise it to include it in the interface.

Oxford_GuyParys
  • LeronisLeronis Member Posts: 112
    @Jalily ty for the spoilers. Assuming "Captive Audience" is a bard item, I'm reassured I haven't overlooked some OC.

I just reloaded after patching, and the current map has respawned. "Resolved random respawns occurring too often" is not intended to fix respawn on reload, i guess. Too bad. Save game should be a safety, not paint you into a corner.
    Erg said:

Erg said:

Erg said:

@Oxford_Guy

I checked and the console works for me. I've successfully used the following command

CLUAConsole:CreateItem("CHAN12",1)

Are you sure you didn't misspell it?

I don't know about you, but I tend to write CHAIN12 instead of CHAN12 most of the times :-)
    Just tried the console again with your command text, that worked, I must've misspelled it, doh!

BTW I hope it drops before you can enter Baldur's Gate, otherwise it's really too late to be of much use (except to Bards) as Mages should have the archmagi robes by then.
  • PeterPeter Member Posts: 44
    DerDuKe said:

First of all: thanks for the update!
    - When will it be possible to keep the adjusted zoom level?

I wish to hear the answer too, please.

DerDuKe
    edited January 2013
    EDIT: Duplicate content removed by @Oxford_Guy
    BTW have just noticed that when my female half-elf bard wears the elven chain her entire arms and hands goes green, as well as her boots, not just the armour - I presume this is *not* intended (normal chain doesn't affect the arms, hands and boots)? I'm guessing the same would happen for elven/half-elven thieves wearing this too?

Also, is there any chance of making the armour less, well, *green*? Someone posted a modded version of the armour a while back that replaced the look of it with the +3 chain, which definitely looked better, but it would be nice to have something unique, but not green, for such a special item.
  • mtyler11mtyler11 Member Posts: 20
    Just updated to the Jan 14 update and now ALL the numbers for items as well as the graphic for the backpack is CRAZY HUGE. The numbers for stackable items covers most of the items, and the pack looks like CRAP. Was there REALLY a community outcry for larger numbers?! tell them to wear glasses. Cuz now on smaller displays or smaller resolutions the change to numbers/icons has completely screwed things up.
    How do I uninstall the patch?!
    Oxford_GuyParys

I'm really disappointed that the Ankheg got attention to remove Druid and Archer restrictions, but that the overpowered-ness, because of the ability to now equip + protections items with this armor, was not addressed.

Ankheg plate + ring of protection +1 is now a more powerful combo than practical defense +3, which is one of the most difficult armor to obtain (basement of Durlags). Practical defense sits in my bags, completely worthless.

Please add this back as an item excluded from being equipable with + protection items. It should of never happened in the first place.

The thread started off about PnP but evolved into one about Ankheg needing the exclusion back

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/3998/ankheg-plate-mail-has-incorrect-ac/p1

I disagree. While it is a powerful combo, the Ankhead plate is non-magical in nature and therefore SHOULD be equipable with magic items. Its an animal hide, albeit very hard carapice-like hide.
    mtyler11 said:

I'm really disappointed that the Ankheg got attention to remove Druid and Archer restrictions, but that the overpowered-ness, because of the ability to now equip + protections items with this armor, was not addressed.

Ankheg plate + ring of protection +1 is now a more powerful combo than practical defense +3, which is one of the most difficult armor to obtain (basement of Durlags). Practical defense sits in my bags, completely worthless.

Please add this back as an item excluded from being equipable with + protection items. It should of never happened in the first place.

The thread started off about PnP but evolved into one about Ankheg needing the exclusion back

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/3998/ankheg-plate-mail-has-incorrect-ac/p1

I disagree. While it is a powerful combo, the Ankhead plate is non-magical in nature and therefore SHOULD be equipable with magic items. Its an animal hide, albeit very hard carapice-like hide.
    Well in that case give it it's proper AC 2 instead of AC 1...
    Aristillius
  • RohndilRohndil Member Posts: 171
    Surprisingly enough, I found myself liking the new big numbers. Though I agree they could be improved.
    Illustair
    ljbo said:

While I agree, the old weight allowance and stack quantity font sizes were too small, can we somehow find a middle ground [...]

The new font size is just ungodly huge and unruly.

If you compare the font used for, say AC or HP, its jarring and pulls you out of the game. The other fonts are smooth versus the horrible zoomed in pixels of the inventory font
    Oxford_Guy
This discussion has been closed.