Skip to content

Will a Wizard Slayer with Full Plate +5 and a Large Shield +5 get shredded in TOB anyway?

2»

Comments

• MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    edited January 2013
    PugPug said:

I realize this thread has evolved into a wider discussion, but to summarize for anyone besides me who is interested, it looks like a shield will make a WS get hit less often against mooks, but against elite guys or bosses, there is no benefit from the extra AC at all. They will always hit except if they roll a critical miss. Though I guess if the shield has really nice secondary bonuses, you could consider it.

Have you ever tried the Full Plate & Packing Steel mod from G3? It changes the way AC works, and adds absorbs/evades/etc.. percentile to the armors to better simulate how well you can take a hit, or always keep you agile enough to not get hit. I find it an amazing mod for BG2 as you eventually get to the point that misses become a rarity, so it keeps armor valid despite the limitations of the system.

I tried it with BG1 but think I uninstalled it around Ch3. The armor and ac changes really, really handicap you through a large portion of it in the mods current state (Khalid tanking with AC -4 in BG1 is about AC 5 with 55% damage absorb in FP&PS) really means you need about 500 (give or take three) healing potions for your party.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited January 2013
    bbear said:

I read from other posts in this forum that the thaco bonus from improved invisibility is not working as it was intended. Unless that's fixed then max (min) AC is -28.

For me it's working :O
    But have:
    -BG2 tweaks/fixes/1pp
    -couple of submods from tactics & aTweaks
    -SCSII + TobEx

Not sure if any of these affects it or of it's working as intended. TobEx does do some hidden fixing as well...so maybe

http://www.valkyries.de/attack_inv.jpg
    (missile from Kiyone being an Archer, and Tyris reduces missile damage thanks to the girdle and has the missile boots = special AC, in case some1 is wondering..and yes it's Keldorn as leader *eg*)
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited January 2013
    bbear said:

I read from other posts in this forum that the thaco bonus from improved invisibility is not working as it was intended. Unless that's fixed then max (min) AC is -28.

I saw earlier that you were using a thief when trying to achieve best AC. Wouldn't a Blade using defensive spin be better? Or a Swashbuckler?
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I never use a Blade before. Can someone confirm this, I think Def Spin sets your max AC at -10 w/ Dex bonus.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    bbear said:

I never use a Blade before. Can someone confirm this, I think Def Spin sets your max AC at -10 w/ Dex bonus.

Nope, it doesn't set AC, it gives a +10 bonus to AC (at level 10 and higher).
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    edited January 2013
    The swashbuckler gets a -1 AC bonus every 5 levels, so -8 at level 40

So it's a lot slower to develop and doesn't get as far, but it is on all the time and does not root you in place.

Just stating the obvious to put all the facts in one place/save people the trouble of looking it up.