Skip to content

Human Racial Bonuses

AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139

In 2nd Edition rules humans have two special abilities that set them apart from the rest of the other races mechanically. They have no cap to level advancement and they can dual class. The Baldur's Gate games wisely removed the level cap for gameplay reasons, leaving only the dual class ability as something to set humans apart.
I'd like to see something added to make up for this. Unless you plan to dual class, there's almost no incentive to play a human over another race (aside from RP reasons). I'd suggest giving human characters a +1 to a stat of their choice or giving them a +5% or 10% bonus to experience to reflect the loss of what was formerly only a human only ability.*

Thoughts?

*Half-elf bards could also had no level cap

Comments

• AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    +1 to stat of your choice = no reason to play anything other than a human ever

exp bonus you could do
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Humans can be anything and everything and 9/10 of the time, people choose them or an elf variant race anyway. Humans don't need any love.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Linkamus said:

Dual classing is such a huge bonus already though.

Nothing else needs to be said, really.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    And to be fair, demi-humans have always been able to get unlimited levels as thieves in 2e anyway. It was a lot worse in 1e where elves could live for 2000+ years. I mean, I know why they did it- most races are longer lived than humans. Were it simply a case of learned experience, Elves, half-elves, dwarves and others would outstrip humans in ability. But yeah, humans don't need a bonus to anything.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Multiclassing gets stronger than dualclassing at higher levels, plus, you don't get the inconvenience of having to draw back your party to get your powers back.

HLA for both classes > anything else.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    A Dual class mage will actually get Lvl 9 spells in reasonable time.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    Well planned dual class builds are strictly better than a single class character in almost every case. Multi classes stack up well, but this is not necessarily true for them (they tend to get screwed a bit on hit points, and are held back by being more of a 'versatility' bonus in a system with a limited action pool)
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think that technically, Humans being able to choose any class is a racial bonus too.

When 3E came along and allowed all races to choose any class (which I liked), I think humans were given the extra starting feat to compensate for this (on the other hand I don't think they gave half-elves any bonus after they lost their multi-classing uniqueness).
  • shout27shout27 Member Posts: 89
    Human's get dual-classing and the ability to be any class in the game. That's a big enough bonus right there, given that I want to play a Half-Orc Bard and can't.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Humans can be any class, which means they can be Blackguards. Good enough for me! I don't need pansy dual-classing to crit for 50+ damage with the Cursed Sword of Berserking +3. Bwahahaha!
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    All they need to do for this is allow Dual class with only a 10% experience penalty. This would make dual classing fantastic, but again they would have none of the other resistance bonuses of other races.