Skip to content

Version 2012 for IPad 1

Trent Tweeted today that "the iPad 1 is at the memory limit. We really suggest an iPad 2". So will it run on the iPad 1 or not? At memory limit suggest that it will. Also, what does this mean for BG2 EE on iPad? Many of us IPad 1 owners have been waiting patiently for the iOS 5.1 version to allow us to purchase the game and we would like to make sure we can play it on out devices.

Comments

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Even the old builds ran on the first iPad according to the devs, it's just that it ran out of memory really fast.
    I believe that the problem is less dire now.
  • famousringofamousringo Member Posts: 28
    I would expect that BG2:EE would run as well as BG:EE, since BG:EE is based on the ToB engine. In other words, everything about BG2 is already running on iPad 1, except the content itself.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited January 2013
    Well...BGII has those high level spells and mega monster fights.... could bog things down on older ipads. I fear for my ipad3 during demilich fights!
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Given the information we've received to date, I'd interpret Trent's statement to mean:
    * Yes, you will be able to download it and run it on the iPad 1, but don't have high expectations
    * It will probably crash, save often
    * Don't expect great frame rates
    * Are you *sure* you can't afford a new iPad 2/Mini?

Overall, my impression is that part of the improvements made from BG -> BGEE is that much more happens in memory and less happens from disk, hence the much larger memory footprint. The problem is that larger memory footprint swamped the 256Mb on an iPad 1. (The iPad 2 & Mini have 512Mb, the 3 & 4 have 1Gb)
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    I hope it is coming soon. I would expect enabling virtual memory (only for while playing BG:EE) on a jailbroken iPad 1 could avoid all sorts of crashing, and that is what the other half of my party will be running this on.
  • The_Once_LerThe_Once_Ler Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2013
    It's Finally Here!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to download it when I get home from work!!! Hell Yea!!! I will reboot and save often, but Thank You!!!! Please make sure BGEE 2 is also Ipad one compatible! I'll let you know how it goes.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    @mars0124 - please keep us posted on how that works for you! That option might just make for some very happy iPad 1 users!
  • The_Once_LerThe_Once_Ler Member Posts: 10
    I will. I have never played the game before so I will be giving you a fresh take from a new user.