Skip to content

Do you want to see BG2 and Throne of Bhaal done in the same way?

Kezza921Kezza921 Member Posts: 9
I am sure this has been put up before (sorry if it has) and I really hope they do get an enhanced edition for these two as well
  1. Do you want to see BG2 and Throne of Bhaal done in the same way?157 votes
    1. Yes
      92.99%
    2. No
        5.73%
    3. Don't really care
        1.27%

Comments

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Work on BG2EE has already started, though the fact that BGEE is on Steam now concerns me. Will there be enough money to see BG2EE through to the end? And to continue supporting it with patches and possible DLC?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I'm pretty sure that Trent Oster said a while back that they are contractually obligated to make BG2:EE. So yeah it's happening.
  • Kezza921Kezza921 Member Posts: 9
    Flashburn said:

Work on BG2EE has already started, though the fact that BGEE is on Steam now concerns me. Will there be enough money to see BG2EE through to the end? And to continue supporting it with patches and possible DLC?

Well its kinda a good thing that is was on Steam because that is how I found out about it before this I had never thought they were redoing it
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    They will indeed be doing BGII:EE. And I most certainly want it. I don't want it -quite- as much as I wanted BG since I found that to be somewhat unplayable after getting used to the sequel's class kits, resolutions, spell selection etc., but now EE has nice snazzy things the second one can benefit from again :)
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    I know that the people buying it via steam gives a lesser cut to overhaul but if those people never found out about it without steam then that lesser cut is money they never would have gotten anyway. A smaller cut is better than no cut. Besides I know plenty of people who use steam as a way to find out about new games and then they shop around for cheaper prices elsewhere because in my country steam is almost ALWAYS more expensive than anything else (even with sales).
  • KorlamaqKorlamaq Member Posts: 216
    as long as they improve the AI this time :)
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    @Psychochilla that would be awesome.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Yes, though hopefully with less bugs on release...
    mjssmeagolheartThe_New_Romancelunar
  • VikingRVikingR Member Posts: 88
    Don't expect too much to change because of the contractual limitations.
  • sharpiejassharpiejas Member Posts: 35
    Have to agree that Going onto Steam will raise their revenues, more people will buy it now which means more money to develop Bg2 and then hopefully Bg3!

We definitely have to see an enhanced Bg2, I just want an ipad version.
  • Jason_SilverainJason_Silverain Member Posts: 38
    As long as they don't murder the cut scenes again, I'd love the sequels.
    Ulfgar_Torunn
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Want it or not, there will be an enhanced BG2. Useless thread.
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    If they are running out of cash, put it up in Kickstarter and I'm sure they'll get loads of fresh dollars.
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    3 People said no. I are sad now. :(
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    No, I want more interesting contents, such as releasing some hard coded 2DA files, interesting 3.5 edition classes such as favored soul, spirit shaman with sorcerer like spell casting system for cleric and Druid spell casting classes, sorcerer joinable NPC.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    I'm really interested how BG2EE is going to look, and what is going to get enhanced, because it needs to be enhanced much less than BG1.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Severon said:

3 People said no. I are sad now. :(

I just think BG2:EE has to offer a lot more new content. Not convinced that they're going to be able to do this contractually(/competently).
    Quartz
  • TinterTinter Member Posts: 152
    Right. BG:EE is an engine conversion- its worth compated to the BGT/Tutu offerings is something debatable, but at the least its a huge change in comparison to the original game.

BG2:EE won't be. Adding their minor UI tweaks and some NPCs really isn't any sort of a substantial offering outside ios and maybe multiplayer if it actually works properly by then. Without more, its really not that much more substantive than a patch would be for other games. So the same would be a waste of time.
    FrozenCells
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Tinter said:

Right. BG:EE is an engine conversion- its worth compated to the BGT/Tutu offerings is something debatable, but at the least its a huge change in comparison to the original game.

BG2:EE won't be. Adding their minor UI tweaks and some NPCs really isn't any sort of a substantial offering outside ios and maybe multiplayer if it actually works properly by then. Without more, its really not that much more substantive than a patch would be for other games. So the same would be a waste of time.

Following the games development, the UI changes were not minor and they are still working on it once they get past the major bugs still present. They will not be using the BG2 TOB front end, rather it will be the BGEE 'enhanced' engine so we will see how that goes.
  • NolrogNolrog Member Posts: 16
    Flashburn said:

Putting it on Steam increases the number of people that will find it. Many people would not be aware of updates to a game this old. I see this as a good thing for their future projects.

Fenghoang
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    The services they are providing with the UI and engine enhancements are worth the money.

Access to the games on tablets is amazing.

I think some people that voted no are losing sight of the long term goal, that some of us are happy to support Beamdog for, and that is their long term goal to make BG3.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I do and rather quickly would be nice.
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    HAVE they already begun working on BG2:EE??? I didn't think they began it already...
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    The big questions Overhaul have to ask themselves would be:

- How will BG2EE attract new customers, fans of the series as well as modders?

- In which way will Overhaul ensure BG2EE competes successfully against BGT, BP and Big worlds mega mods which have matured over the last few years? In which way will BG2EE offer any distinct advantages over those mega mods? Even the guy like me who deleted almost all traces of BG1 and BGTutu-related stuffs can perfectly understand why some people prefer BGT over BGEE.

- How much change do they have to make so that players feel like BG2EE is truly enhanced version of the original BG2/TOB? Surely such challenge will be more difficult than converting BG1 to BGTutu-like BGEE.
  • Kezza921Kezza921 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2013
    leeho730 said:

No, I want more interesting contents, such as releasing some hard coded 2DA files, interesting 3.5 edition classes such as favored soul, spirit shaman with sorcerer like spell casting system for cleric and Druid spell casting classes, sorcerer joinable NPC.

None of the other rules follow the 3.5 edition so it would be hard to include the 3.5 classes and before you say it the monk didn't start in 3.5

Also if/when they do enhance BG2 and TOB I would like to see Imoen have more of an impact other than being a damsel in destress. Also once you find out what she is in the end I truly wondered why didn't it come up earlier in the games.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Kezza921 said:

Also if/when they do enhance BG2 and TOB I would like to see Imoen have more of an impact other than being a damsel in destress. Also once you find out what she is in the end I truly wondered why didn't it come up earlier in the games.

This probably won't happen due to contract limitations. They pretty much can't make any changes to existing content. AFAIK the only thing they could really do with Imoen would be to give her a few new lines when interacting with the new NPCs.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited January 2013
    Just to be clear, when the heading says "The same way", Absolutely I want it to be a restoration of the original material with bug fixes, some new NPCs and maybe a few new areas and items and quests.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... DO NOT mulch in ANY 3.0 or 3.5 content!!!!!!! No Classes (prestige or otherwise), no content and no items. PLEASE.

Baldur's gate games (1, ToSC, 2, ToB) are all just fine in terms of rules sets. 3.0 (and 3.5) rules set is fine as well, but the two are not compatible/interchangeable. And trying to force that marriage is the surest way in the world to kill the franchise and alienate most, if not all of the fans of the original.

A few years ago, I downloaded a Mod that added 3.0 rules to Baldur's Gate 2. It was a total disaster and I quickly unloaded it. I for one will not purchase BG2:EE if it is some sort of hybrid of the original rules set and 3.0/3.5. Period.

Just as an example, Gauntlets of Ogre Power in 2nd edition takes your STR to 18/00. Gauntlets of Ogre power in 3rd Edition takes your STR +2. Which means that Viconia, to pick a character at random, gets almost zero benefit from them. The 3rd edition rules in this instance work only if the stats scale (+1 every 2 points) and are only really useful if the character can regularly augment their strength. In 2nd edition, having the 3rd edition functionality takes an extremely (and almost universally) useful item and makes it very weak and only situationally of value.

Also, most Prestige classes are only of use if you have the type of flexibility to change classes that 3rd edition provides. To add Prestige classes from 3rd edition would mean that you either retro-fit them or you change the entire class structure to make them fit.
  • HesseHesse Member Posts: 27
    I think overhaul will have much more work to do on BG2 to enhance it and make it worth to buy the new game vs the original BG2.
    I think it will be much more difficult to "enhance".
  • KorlamaqKorlamaq Member Posts: 216
    i'd love some new never seen before classes :)