Skip to content

Implementing Kelsey (fan-made companion) into Baldur's Gate II

JeantjuhJeantjuh Member Posts: 3
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to implement the fan-made Kelsey into the Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition (we know it will come eventually), seeing as it is one of the best thought out characters made by fans.

Here's what mod contains in short:

"Kelsey is a brand-new, 100% original NPC for Baldur's Gate 2. Kelsey adds dozens of inter-party banters with all your favorite characters: Imoen, Jan, Minsc, Viconia, and more, as well as hundreds of new lines of quest interjections and advice dialogue. Kelsey comes with his own new magic items, both powerful and unusual, and the mod includes hundreds of lines of new voiced dialogue from Kelsey and his new friends and adversaries."

What are your thoughts about this?

You can find more information about this mod here: http://www.pocketplane.net/kelsey

Comments

• AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    Why Kelsey? There's half a dozen NPC mods I would say are at a similar caliber.
    Dazzu
  • JeantjuhJeantjuh Member Posts: 3
    I am only aware of Kelsey personally, if there are other characters that add the same level of caliber, it might be fun to add them in as well. :-)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Personally I'm expecting uncomplicated NPC-mods like that to be quite compatible with BG2:EE from the get-go (and if they aren't, they should be), so don't really see a need to include any particular fanmade NPC in the core game.
  • JeantjuhJeantjuh Member Posts: 3
    The system the Elder Scrolls games use would be fine as well. Load up the menu, select the mods you want and run the game.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    the structure for infinity engine games is not that modular, unfortunately. the base game is not, in many cases, separate from the engine used to run it. you have to append to a lot of files directly when you add something as big as a new NPC.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    What's the point of him being official NPC? BG2:EE will be mod-friendly, so people should have him via mod.
    Ward
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I don't think fanmade content like this will ever be integrated into BG2EE. Regardless of copywrite issues, including mods like this will always be controversial with people questioning their quality. Some things are best left as being mods I think.
    NimzWardElectricMonkNWN_babaYaga
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Clearly Saeril... no, wait, game centralizers are still irritating.
    FlashburnCommunardTheIronRose
  • TheIronRoseTheIronRose Member Posts: 20
    Literally all NPC mods are complete and utter crap. This is one of them.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Some are worse than others. I could make a 'Smear Tier List' based on highly opinionated thoughts of which mods I think are bad, to those that insult my chili dinner aftermath.... but nah, just remember that romances should NOT force you to take a 3rd path to Spellhold or else they'll leave your party... or require 16 Charisma and literally die of broken heart.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited July 2012
    I agree with Tanthalas, I don't think it'll happen. Elements from BGTweaks, 1PP and Tutu are being included for their obvious upgrading of the game.

But NPCs, I don't think things like that should be added from fanmade content. If that goes too far it'll just be intrusive. I have tested mods a lot recently and I've found a lot of them to be very... unpolished.

No reason to include Kelsey, just install it after.
    ElectricMonkNimz
  • jcomptonjcompton Member Posts: 157
    I'll let them have Bruce the Cockney Barfighter for cheap.
    NWN_babaYagaseeka