Skip to content

SOLVED - Steam overlay doesn't work properly with the Steam version of the EE

MotokiMotoki Member Posts: 12
edited January 2013 in Windows PC (Archive)
*Edit: Going into the graphics options and deselecting hardware mouse cursor fixes the issue.

-----
I just got the newly released BG:EE on Steam today and the overlay doesn't quite work properly. Normally you hit shift and tab to bring up the overlay and that seems to work but when you hit it again to get rid of it, it just sort of glitches out and get stuck.

If you alt tab out and back in again that does seem to fix it but it would be nice to have a properly working overlay.
Post edited by Motoki on

Comments

• moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2013
    Coriander said:

AFAIK, Atari has the digital distribution rights for the Baldur's Gate license. We can't deal directly with Steam but we'll still receive a portion of the sales. We can't push updates ourselves and we won't know how well it's doing until Atari tells us.

The way I understand that quote. Sounds like that's Atari's problem not Beamdog's. Since they pushed it out to steam, you might want to go ask them to fix the overlay.

I see no reason for Beamdog to do the work with Atari and Steam taking the lion's share.
    mlnevese
  • MotokiMotoki Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2013
    But it was also said that they do the updates, give them to Atari and then they in turn give them to Steam.

With regards to updates, we have to submit updates to Atari for them to prepare for Steam. There will be a delay.

It sounds like Atari isn't doing the actual coding but just acting as an intermediary.

*Edit: At any rate, I submitted a ticket to Atari support so we'll see if anything gets done either way I guess.
    I was being sarcastic about Atari fixing it because I thought Atari were being asses about this.

Sorry for that. You are accurate that Beamdog pushes updates to Atari and they push them to Steam.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Wouldn't problems with the Steam overlay be the responsibility of Steam to solve?
    moopy
    Hmmm...... touche.
    TJ_Hooker said:

Wouldn't problems with the Steam overlay be the responsibility of Steam to solve?

Not necessarily. It works for most games. Even non-Steam games that you add in most cases. Usually when it does not work it is the fault of the software somehow.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Try remapping the "Tab" key in Options > Gameplay. My guess is that it's reading the Tab as part of both the overlay and the game's "search" mechanism.

That might not solve the problem, but I'd be interested to know if it does.
    edited January 2013
    I checked the options and am not seeing where I can remap the tab key.

Anyhow, I got a response from Atari if you can call it that:

9:22 AM (6 hours ago)

to me
    Greetings!

Unfortunately, we are unable to troubleshoot on the Steam platform. Please refer to Steam support for further assistance with this issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Atari Customer Support
    http://support.atari.com/
    ---------------------------------
    Tip: Login to http://www.Atari.com and click on Support link in the footer to access your Ticket History from the website.

Ticket Details
    Ticket ID: XJA-667-22348
    Department: Technical Support
    Type: Question

I'll try Steam support but I'd bet money they tell me to go to the publisher, who of course just told me to go to them.
    edited January 2013
    Solved it. And it was stupidly simple.

Someone on the Steam community forum said to go into the graphic options, deselect hardware mouse cursor so I did and it fixes the issue.

So much for Atari support. :-P
    DeeTJ_Hookermoopy
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    That's not a solution I would have expected. Thanks for posting it here.
  • NightswitchNightswitch Member Posts: 1
    i just down loaded BGEE and its all F'd up i get through the start game try to make my guy and it says unexpected error has happend and i've try'ed deleting it and re-downloading it but nothing