Skip to content

Mouse support?

Hi I use a bluetooth mouse on my iPad and I was wondering if the game would allow me to use that rather than the touchscreen?
JanderSambucca

Comments

• JanderJander Member Posts: 4
    Ooh, I would love that.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    YOU WHAT
  • pipinhopipinho Member Posts: 55
    bluetooth mouse + bluetooth keyboard.... hmmmm... droool....
  • pipinhopipinho Member Posts: 55
    with Apple TV playing on my 56 inch??????? hmmmmm
  • Garrison64Garrison64 Member Posts: 72
    I have a bluetooth keyboard which unfortunately does nothing in the game other than being able to type in the journal. There is no mouse support on the iPad and even with a jailbreak version it doesn't work like a normal mouse would as there is no true cursor function on the iPad. Personally I don't get this decision by Apple. I understand how they want the touch screen to be so important but it would really expand the usability of the device if keyboard and mouse worked like normal. I would still use the touch screen while mobile but just like right now sitting at my table I'm using the bluetooth keyboard to type this message. Same thing with them not allowing blue tooth game controllers. That should also have been part of the OS.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Er, bluetooth game controllers ARE supported by the iPad (and several apps as well) and keyboards...I've never heard of using a BT Mouse with the iPad, but I'm guessing it's supported also. It's up to the APPLICATION to implement them, however.

The devs of this game could implement the BT Keyboard interface into the game (allowing the BT Keyboard to mimic touch screen functions) but they have not.

It's not the "ipad" that's the limiting factor here, it's what the BG interface accepts.
    According to what I read over at the Apple forums there is no mouse support on the iPad. It is not something they built in and there's nothing a developer can do to change that. It does support keyboards. I was unaware of the game controllers although I did see one at Walmart. Not sure how well it would work but apparently they do have them. But from everything I've read there is no mouse support.
    After a little research I found that there is one gamepad sanctioned by Apple that works only with Gameloft games. There are no other official game controllers although there seem to be a couple in the works. The iPad won't work with just any bluetooth controller.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    That's possible, all I can tell you is that Bards Tale on the iPad does work with a game controller...there are interface options allowing you to turn on and off support for it.
    Illydth said:

That's possible, all I can tell you is that Bards Tale on the iPad does work with a game controller...there are interface options allowing you to turn on and off support for it.

That's the 60Beat controller and just like the one from Gameloft it only works with a few titles. It's also powered through a cord that plugs into the headphone jack. How strange is that?

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    There's lots of Bluetooth game controllers on the marked, most without much support from game developers.
    The one exception is the iCade and the iCade mini, which have a huge portfolio of supported games.
    I've got one myself, and I love it. Doesn't do much for a game line BG though.. :)

There's also a joystick emulator app on the AppStore that make you iPhone/iPodTouch function like a Bluetooth controller for the iPad. There's quite a few games supporting that one too.

As for the mouse support, Apple doesn't support it at all, there's no support for a curser on the iPad and developers can't make use of a mouse driven interface at all on the iPad.

Before the release I was hoping for keyboard support like in the PC edition, but that was not to be, for a variety of reasons I can't recall right now, but the lowdown on it is buried somewhere on these boards... :)
    Both the icade controllers are designed more for retro style gaming. Neither will suit most modern games. The iCade also isn't exactly portable. It's pretty cool if you like the older arcade games though.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    For people who have a Bluetooth Keyboard, I have a question.

When you press the H key, does it hide the interface?

Do the other keyboard shortcuts work on iPad?
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602

For people who have a Bluetooth Keyboard, I have a question.

When you press the H key, does it hide the interface?

Do the other keyboard shortcuts work on iPad?

I don't believe keyboard works at all in BG on the iPad, except for writing in the Journal unfortunately.