Skip to content

some questions

NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
edited July 2012 in General Modding
Note that I only use Baldurs gate 2 w/o TOB atm and Infinity explorer.

1: where is the rain/ snow sprite for the weather effects located? I cant find it anywhere after working myself trough every anim bams.

2: how can I export a whole BAM sequence? It only lets me export/save the very first frame and I want to start retexturing some nice things.

*will add more questions maybe once i know the answers for above.

Thanks

And a little rant: No wonder that the game is so big using BMP for an area that takes up 56MB for just one image.
And also you can clearly see some quality differences in areas too, some objects are not lit properly and it looks as if they hover.

Comments

• jcomptonjcompton Member Posts: 157
    And a little rant: No wonder that the game is so big using BMP for an area that takes up 56MB for just one image.
    That's just part of the business when you work with 2D backdrops. Sooner or later (whether on disk or in memory) they take up a lot of real estate.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited July 2012

2: how can I export a whole BAM sequence? It only lets me export/save the very first frame and I want to start retexturing some nice things.

I guess you need a better tool. I know Near Infinity can export whole BAMs with a few clicks, and I would be very surprised if DLTCEP could not do the same. WeiDU can also be used to (mass) export anything, either on the command line or with a TP2 script.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    @Wisp thank you very much:)
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Since I did not initially notice you said "sequence": BAM Workshop I and II (I is allegedly better at some things and II is allegedly better at some other things; it is a bit of a mess) may also be relevant, They can both be had here. There is also BAM Batcher, but while it is very good at what is does, it only does it for simple BAMs.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    That looks much better, thanks again.
  • devSindevSin Member Posts: 32
    I believe the weather drawing is hardcoded. There aren't any assets for it (it's just pixels and lines). There are a couple more visual effects like that (sparkles and the funky lightning that they never ended up using).

The areas are stored in tiles so that they don't have to all be loaded at once, which reduces the impact of having a large 2D background image. The tilesets can be large, but it's quite trim compared to modern games.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @devSin - IIRC, @CameronTofer once mentioned that the weather effects would be overhauled. I don't know whether this is still part of the devs' plans, but if so, the new effects may as well be softcoded. Hopefully one of the devs will shed some light on this ( @ScottBrooks?)