Skip to content

The most powerful item in the Baldur's Gate Saga?

13»

Comments

• leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    Staff of magi... Permanent invisibility, hits as +5, non-dispellable spell trap, fireball/lightning 3x day, +2 AC, wow, wow, wow! The only problem is that it can't kill a god...
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited January 2013
    @ZanathKariashi , in ad&d any item that raises an attribute to 25 permanently is already an artifact - way more dramatic than elemental damage, I suppose.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Angurvadal +5

The true power of Frithior's blazing sword has been unleashed by the Liquid Mercury.

STATISTICS:
    Special Abilities:
    Increase strength to 22 when equipped.
    User is immune to level drain when equipped.

THAC0: +5 bonus
    Damage: 1D8 +5, 1d4+1 fire damage
    Damage type: slashing
    Weight: 2
    Speed Factor: 0
    Proficiency Type: Long Sword
    Type: 1-handed
    Requires: 6 Strength
    Not Usable By:
    Druid
    Cleric
    Mage

Since I'm a sword person, this is the sword I always get.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited January 2013
    Ok , let's be honest - all these items are tremendously powerful and should be result of an entire saga, instead of random dungeon crawling ...
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Potion of extra healing is also pretty powerful
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Well technically, it does take almost the entire saga for the FoA to reach full power (not that +3 version still isn't one of the strongest weapons in the game, even without the ability to strike +4 or higher...yet). Even if you have the mod that lets Cromwell craft certain Watcher's Keep items, such as adding the poison head, it still takes until 1/2 through ToB to get the final head.

Not to mention...Crom Faeyr is actually weaker then it's supposed to be (It IS an actual PnP Artifact, after all). In addition to everything else, it's also supposed to be throwable (and returning), and cause a 10ft radius thunderclap at the point of impact with a save or be stunned for 1 round. Aka, a direct rip-off (or more diplomatically speaking, a homage) of Mjölnir.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552

Well technically, it does take almost the entire saga for the FoA to reach full power (not that +3 version still isn't one of the strongest weapons in the game, even without the ability to strike +4 or higher...yet). Even if you have the mod that lets Cromwell craft certain Watcher's Keep items, such as adding the poison head, it still takes until 1/2 through ToB to get the final head.

Not to mention...Crom Faeyr is actually weaker then it's supposed to be (It IS an actual PnP Artifact, after all). In addition to everything else, it's also supposed to be throwable (and returning), and cause a 10ft radius thunderclap at the point of impact with a save or be stunned for 1 round. Aka, a direct rip-off (or more diplomatically speaking, a homage) of Mjölnir.

The girdle of Frost Giant Strength represents Megingjörð and the Gauntlets of Ogre Power represent Járngreipr. Faeyr is derived from Freya. Crom is just... well... Cromwell, who is a dwarven smith and that concept is taken from Old Norse mythology in general.
  • KorlamaqKorlamaq Member Posts: 216
    carsomyr +6 but the BEST weapon is still LILARCOR! :D MURDER! DEATH! KILL!
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Huh, not many seem to choose Staff of the Ram. I always thought it was one of the best weapons in the game for thieves and/or fighter/thieves. Just sneak up behind someone and ka-POW! Chunky!
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    edited January 2013
    Picked Ring of Gaxx purely because of how more powerful it is than any other item of its slot IMO.

Ridiculously good regen, negating the point of memorizing heal spells? Check.
    +2 Ring of Protection that is usable WITH enchanted/magic armor? Check.
    Magic Resistance? Check.
    Amazingly useful & usable by every class? Check.
    Additional flavor just cause... why not (i.e. Poison/Disease Immunity & Invisibility/Imp. Haste charges)? Check.

With that being said, I think there are so many "OP" items in the game, it's ridiculous to pick just one.

Flail of Ages (unresistable slow, ridiculous dmg, hits through stone/ironskin, easy to get, upgradable, 1H wapon), Staff of Magi (unlimited Invisibility. Nuff said), Carsomyr (don't even need to explain this), Robe of Vecna (ridiculous cast speeds, easy to get, armor & MR for bonus), Edwin's Amulet (so many spells...), Cloak of Mirroring (immune to every single target offensive spell and then reflect back... just pure cheesy unpatched), Crom Faeyr (25 str, +5 to hit/electric dmg), Blackrazor, Boots of Speed, and most of the ToB stuff are just so damn amazing... I LOVE IT! So yeah... just about everything on your list =P
    Post edited by Fenghoang on
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited January 2013
    Why isn't Blackrazor or Staff of the Magi not in the list? Those are the two most powerful items in the game if I remember correctly.

Otherwise, I have to go with Robe of Vecna...as I tend to play as a mage. In the hand of a powerful mage, it is by far the most imbalanced item in the game. With improved alacrity and/or timestop and/or wish, it can be very cheesy.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    No option for the Big Metal Unit?

I am going with the prenerf Cloak of Mirroring.
  • CreslynCreslyn Member Posts: 2
    Have to go with Staff of the Magi for my kensai/thief. Ridiculous combo.
  • CarstonCarston Member Posts: 36
    Helm of Balduran for me, only because you can have it so early in BGII.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    It's obviously Lilarcor.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Blackrazor is probably not on there because 80% of people seem to play Good, and so a sword that requires you to be evil and even changes your alignment is probably a no-no for most people. It is ridiculously powerful, though.

I think they should add the ability to upgrade it to +5 in ToB:EE.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Well, it mostly depends on calss you are currently playing.
    There are many very powerful objects in the game, and it's hard to choose one, the strongest.

Ring of Gaxx is the best ring in game and anyone can use it, so I've voted on this one.

There was also "Helm of Maiming" (I'm not sure of the name), where you could make your own clone with it. Very powerful thing.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    On a list with some of the most powerful mage items in the saga, I believe my choice requires an explanation. While partially due to my personal inclination to play fighter type characters, my choice also is the product of my experience with the Flail of Ages. With the highest damage of any weapon, free action, and a high chance of slowing, the Flail of Ages easily has the best offensive abilities of all weapons in the game. It's abilities have more raw offensive potential than Carsomyr, and is clearly better than Crom Faeyr (end game, when to hit chances are irrelevant).

I didn't choose any of the mage items (i.e. Robe of Vecna, Staff of the Ram, etc.) on the justification that mages get most of their power simply from leveling up, and the Flail of Ages makes a larger difference for fighter characters than the Robe of Vecna makes for mage characters. It is a weapon that will always have a special place in my heart.
  • OYMEOYME Member Posts: 36
    edited January 2013
    Ixil's Spike +6
    +6 THACO, Free Action, target must save or be pinned for 3 rounds, taking 6-11 damage per round
    Bring Ixil's Spike, Ixil's Nail +4, and 5000 gold to Cespenar

Unlike Celestial Fury stun which some enemies are immune to, or the flail of ages which just slows, (I use both terms lightly because both weapons are great no matter what I say hereafter) this spear forces you to save after each successful hit or be pinned. Don't know what actual in-game state value "pinned" represents, but what I do know is that I have pinned *gasp* both
    Abazigal (dragon form) and Amellissan
    (keep in mind that I didn't have fixpack installed as I was new to the modding scene so this may or may not be supposed to happen). So not only does this weapon seem to be able to pin anything in the game, but you stay pinned for 3 rounds taking extra damage each round. And since this is one of those "hold" affects where you always hit unless a critical miss happens, this means your spear will keep striking over and over resetting that pin affect if they keep failing there saving throw. And considering that greater whirlwind puts your attacks to 10 per round, that's 30 times in 3 rounds they must make there saving throw or be pinned again resetting the whole affect (and let's not forget about doom and greater malison). I don't know about you, but this weapon really is cheese to me. I'm sure pfmw will stop the affect (or does it?), but still, this takes care of anything that takes even 1 point of damage from this weapon.