Skip to content

Thief Fails to Remove Some Traps if Wearing Boots of Speed

ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
edited January 2013 in Fixed
OK, this is a weird one (observed in 1.0.2012)

Current Behaviour: In area AR2615 there are two traps that a swashbuckler with a score of 105 in Find Traps is unable to remove (any attempt will trigger the trap) while Imoen with a score of 100 in Find Traps is able to remove them. These are the details of the traps:

1) Name in NI: Trap3
Removal Difficulty: 60
Approximate coordinates: x=3143 y=1884

2) Name in NI: Trap4
Removal Difficulty: 70
Approximate coordinates: x=3151 y=1922

Strangely enough, the swashbuckler was able to remove any other trap in the area inclunding, for example, Trap12 that according to NI is almost identical to Trap4, only differences that I can see in NI being the coordinates and the triggered spell (Web instead of Lighting Bolt).

Expected Behaviour: A thief with a score of more than 100 in Find Traps should be able to remove also these two traps.
Post edited by Erg on

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited January 2013
    After further tests, I've found that the problem seems to be caused by the swashbuckler wearing the boots of speed.

Imoen fails also when wearing the boots, while the swashbuckler succeeds if they are removed. However, other traps in the area are still not affected by this.

I've updated the thread title to reflect this.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Anyone else experienced this?
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    I'm able to reproduce this - I'll submit a bug report with a save game attached.

Looks like it might be the movement rate moving the character into the trap before it triggers to stop and disarm it.
    Cerevant said:

Looks like it might be the movement rate moving the character into the trap before it triggers to stop and disarm it.

@Cerevant

Yes, that was also my impression. However, I find strange that it only affects these two traps. I was able to remove any trap in the game, but these two and the impossible ones (i.e. the ones with removal difficulty 100).

The only relevant difference with other traps seems to be vertices coordinates, so maybe it has something to do with the shape or dimension of the trap.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I have found that some traps depend on the direction the rogue is walking, as the disable 'point' might force them to step across the boundary. Legacy BG had this problem with some traps, too, although this is the first time I saw the Boots of Speed as partially culpable. My suspicion is it still matters from where the rogue starts walking to the trap to the trigger point.
    edited January 2013

My suspicion is it still matters from where the rogue starts walking to the trap to the trigger point.

@reedmilfam

It is indeed a possibility.

I tried clicking on different parts of the trap or starting from slightly different points, with no success. However, in this particular case the thief is in a narrow passage, so you cannot change too much the approach.
    It might have something to do with the angle of the edge, and the collision detection algorithm. Still just guessing - this one is definitely for the engine guys.
    I've reproduced this too, with a boots of speed.
    I know that the following can cause problem:
    1. increased movement speed
    2. impossible to remove traps (like the bhaal temple ones)

I consider both kind of 'feature'.
    1. the thief just runs into the trap
    2. these traps are set to 100 (impossible to remove), the thief still attempts it

If bg1 had these too, then there is nothing that we should do because it is in the grey area of difficulty feature vs. bug.
    @Avenger_teambg

That's fine by me, I just wanted to

1. report a possible bug
    2. understand why it is happening only for these two traps and not similar ones

@Cerevant comment about "angle of the edge, and the collision detection algorithm" is enough to address point #2 and to satisfy my curiosity.

About point #1, I'm OK with whatever the final decision will be (it's not a big deal anyway).
    @Avenger_teambg - I disagree in the case of #1 for one reason: the game decides where you need to stand to disarm a trap. I tried several times to stand close enough to the trap so the game wouldn't move me when I tried disarm, and still it moved me into the trap area. If the thief sees the trap, there is no reason an enhancement should make it more difficult. If that were the case, haste should reduce your THAC0...

I think this is a bug that needs to be fixed.
    @Cerevant i managed to remove those traps (in the library basement) with boots on. I admit i don't know why it moves you sometimes when without boots it wouldn't move (visibly).