Skip to content

Will the game finish when Sarevok dies?

Comments

• DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    Too true @TJ_Hooker. There are more details that nobody so far has spilled, but the main point that he's the bad guy is pretty obvious from right after leaving Candlekeep because you suddenly recocognise the big scary fellow from the intro, and at that point, he wants your "family" dead.

Hardly a spoiler at all really. Unless of course you get this mistaken idea that you will live happily ever after with him? Not likely methinks. :)
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
    edited November 2012
    I mentioned this on some other thread, but if you are so new to the BG series that things like 'Sarevok dies' are a spoiler for you, it'd probably be the smart move to just stay away from BG forums altogether. Coming to a forum about a game released well over a decade ago, and filled with quite a number of people who have beaten said game repeatedly, is a bit like the poor guy who watches the first episode of a TV series now into its fifth season and then has the brilliant plan to look that series up on Wikipedia or YouTube.
  • SirFrancealotSirFrancealot Member Posts: 56
    edited November 2012
    I only ever played BG1 once, and found the final dungeon getting to sarevok super hard... I was running a mage heavy party and all those skeletons were immune to everything I threw at them....

Mind you... I'm pretty sure this was due to my terribad party. I was playing an unkitted mage, with jaheria and khalid (didn't reliase I could kill him off back then and keep the druid!), Minsc, dynahair and some paladin whos name I forget.

So with only a druid for heals... and 2 mages who couldn't do squat.... yea it was hard.

finally killing sarevok and seeing the credits roll was one of the biggest senses of accomplishment I've ever had in a game, and as much as I enjoyed it, I was glad it was over. Let the credits roll as soon as his corpse hits the ground, that's where this tale finishes and BG2 starts!
  • sterriussterrius Member Posts: 20
    while i dont expect new playable content after the end of BG1 i hope they make a better gap beetwen BG1 and 2 with a new ending showing how you end up in that situation in BG2
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    Of course, you could just defeat everything except Sarevok and then go play the rest of the game. I used to do that a lot, since I found other parts of the game more interesting than the Sarevok quest. I would play right up until I defeated Tomoko and would then go back out to the rest of the game and keep playing.

Personally, I think it would be nice if the game wouldn't end with Sarevok's death. It could be like it is in Oblivion where the game never forces you to stop playing. You can defeat Mehrunes Dagon, but keep playing indefinitly. In the case of Oblivion, I kept playing for 1.5 years after I finished the main quest of the game because there were still so many side quests and respawning dungeons that I could visit.

If such a system is implemented in Baldur's Gate, I think it would make sense to be able to use loot found on Sarevok's corpse and also to leave the Undercity through the other entrance that currently isn't usable.
  • SirFrancealotSirFrancealot Member Posts: 56
    ARKdeEREH said:

If such a system is implemented in Baldur's Gate, I think it would make sense to be able to use loot found on Sarevok's corpse and also to leave the Undercity through the other entrance that currently isn't usable.

Problem with that is it would require more content... changes to NPC text, resolution of the iron crisis, etc.

Although bethesda games often allow you to finish the game and continue playing, they are also infamous for not changing the world to suitably... reflect your actions. My Breton is the savior of skyrim, master Dovahkiin with more knowledge of the voice than the greatest Greybeard, assassin of the emperor and listener of sithis, leader of the companions, Archmage of the college, champion of all Daedra lords of Oblivion, Head Nightingale of Nocturnal, the largest landholder and investor in the continent, and an obsessive compulsive interior decorator with hoarding tendencies.

Yet despite all that, guards still disparagingly mock me about my missing sweetroll.

The Baldurs gate series of games are all about immersion, and allowing you to continue playing after defeating Sarevok would significantly reduce the tension of adventuring throughout the sword coast. Not to mention being really awkward when everyone is still whinging about the iron crisis and those pesky flaming fist mercenaries.

Nope, the ending is good as is.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    For a short-term perspective the game could adopt the same solution as BGT, switch all non-critical NPCs to "has nothing to say to you"-mode so you can't talk to them. It's not ideal, but it also prevents plot/world inconsistencies.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

My Breton is the savior of skyrim, master Dovahkiin with more knowledge of the voice than the greatest Greybeard, assassin of the emperor and listener of sithis, leader of the companions, Archmage of the college, champion of all Daedra lords of Oblivion, Head Nightingale of Nocturnal, the largest landholder and investor in the continent, and an obsessive compulsive interior decorator with hoarding tendencies.

Yet despite all that, guards still disparagingly mock me about my missing sweetroll.

True that. 8)
  • AberdashAberdash Member Posts: 42

Maybe spoiler tag?

"The antagonist dies" is a spoiler now?

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    If you knew who Sarevok was at the start of the game, or if he was kind of a weird side character that turned out to be the villain, there would be more of a point to hiding it. Once you get any kind of a handle on the game's plot you know this guy is gonna get taken out.
  • DolarrahDolarrah Member Posts: 17
    Game ends when Sarevok dies? Damn it, I don't even remember who Sarevok is. Guess to many years have past. Oh well, spoiled the whole game now. Guess I will have to wait for next game.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    That Sarevok is the bad guy isn't really a secret, he is revealed in the intro movie! ....but then there is the REAL secret, which is what gets revealed at the end.
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    edited November 2012
    I was mostly referring to the general trend of spoiling stuff that has nothing to do with BG in this thread, not the Sarevok thing.

I get your point, and I dont totally disagree, but when the thread title says it all, its kinda late to be shouting folks down dont you think?

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Look, BG Tutu or perhaps one of its mods offered the option of moving on with the game after the "final battle". That way you can fight Sarevok at 89.000 xp and then reach the tosc xp cap later.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    DJKajuru said:

Look, BG Tutu or perhaps one of its mods offered the option of moving on with the game after the "final battle". That way you can fight Sarevok at 89.000 xp and then reach the tosc xp cap later.

As @Shin mentioned, BGT does this. After defeating Sarevok, you have to go to the palace and talk to someone to trigger the transition to BG2. Thus, you can do the TOSC content after...which makes more sense to me anyway. Is the hero of the sword coast going to break out of chasing down Sarevok to go play archeologist or visit a closed-off tower that presents no risk to anyone that doesn't voluntarily enter?

"Yes, yes...people are being murdered and the murderer is seizing control of Baldur's Gate but forget all that. Did you know some weird guy in a small house on the coast wants me to go sail out to sea for a few weeks to look for something of historical significance? The people of the sword coast mean little compared to the academic prospects of this hunt. They can wait."

That breaks immersion for me even moreso than switching the non-critical NPC's to "has nothing to say" mode for the non-TOSC content.

Besides , for roleplaying reasons,I use this second step to dump viconia or edwin, since they're supposed to have left the party before you got kidnapped by irenicus (oops, another spoiler)
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    Suiboon said:

I was mostly referring to the general trend of spoiling stuff that has nothing to do with BG in this thread, not the Sarevok thing.

I get your point, and I dont totally disagree, but when the thread title says it all, its kinda late to be shouting folks down dont you think?

@Suiboon - Er. . What? Why mention that at all then? Unless I'm drastically misunderstanding you there, why complain about non-BG spoilers in a BG forum? Oh, wait a minute - were you refering to the Star Wars comments?

I suppose its fair to say that some people might not know, but if BG is more than ten years old and spoilers are a rare occurence because of its age, surely the same reasoning could be applied even more to Star Wars, which is now as old as me? ( And I'm older than 10 by the way :) ).

But in all seriousness mate, I really do get your point - nobody likes spoilers. Maybe next time add a "please" or smiley and less folks would take umbrage at the perceived tone. Also, if someone has gotten this far into this forum, as I'm sure you've already noticed, they would have seen a dozen or more spoilers already.

Anyhoo, no hard feelings I hope. :)
  • RavenXRavenX Member Posts: 86
    Technically he might not totally die. His essence is consumed (by you), and since you're a Bhaalspawn as long as you stay alive so does part of him.

Use the Force Luke...Use the Force!!! On Mickey!!! hehe
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Wait. I'm a what? *curls up into a fetal ball in the corner and sobs gently*
  • BamBam Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2012

That Sarevok is the bad guy isn't really a secret, he is revealed in the intro movie! ....but then there is the REAL secret, which is what gets revealed at the end.

Isn't that the point where Gorion pops up and explains that he is really you from the future, that he never really died and then tries to kill you to create a paradox in which he is the only living being and therefor rules the universe?
  • oogleoogle Member Posts: 3
    In the original game, Durlag and Ulgoth's beard were from the TOTSC expansion, so you did them *after* Sarevok. And even after finsihg TOTSC you could walk around the Sword Coast forever with noting to do but slay hobgblins. I wish it wasn't over so quickly.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Bam said:

Isn't that the point where Gorion pops up and explains that he is really you from the future, that he never really died and then tries to kill you to create a paradox in which he is the only living being and therefor rules the universe?

I thought that was Tiax... ;-)
  • Led_IcarusLed_Icarus Member Posts: 1
    Ya, I just killed him, and as soon as he hit the ground it saved a new slot, exported my character and ended the game session with not so much as a cinematic which is a bit anticlimactic. To have the game end with a simple Sarevok has fallen, they could have at least ended it with a narration like they do between chapters.
  • SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    PugPug said:

In Sixth Sense, Bruce Willis was dead like, the whole time. He's a ghost.

Dude, don't joke about that one. I actually ruined that for someone at work the other day. I mean, come on. Statute of limitations on that one? If you haven't seen it in the 13 years it's been out, you're not going to bloody see it.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    Spoiler:
    Sarevok kills Gorion.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited January 2013

Ya, I just killed him, and as soon as he hit the ground it saved a new slot, exported my character and ended the game session with not so much as a cinematic which is a bit anticlimactic. To have the game end with a simple Sarevok has fallen, they could have at least ended it with a narration like they do between chapters.

There is a cinematic, but I guess it bugged out and didn't play or something. You can find it in
    Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\movies
    although it's in a weird format so you probably won't be able to play it unless you have a codec pack installed, (or VLC player might work).
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621

Spoiler:
    Sarevok kills Gorion.
    I shouldn't have opened the tag, the series is ruined for me :-(

And as far as spoilers go, my girlfriend is watching Lord of the Rings for the first time ever with me. We have finished Fellowship, and she still doesn't know that
    Gandalf is coming back
  • MeroveusMeroveus Member Posts: 14
    I think the game crashes after Saravok dies before it has a chance to actually end.
    Is there a way for me to change that dialogue script? I mean, sarevok dying without starting a "sarevok was killed" dialogue+ crash ?