Skip to content

Good, Neutral or Evil, What are you?

hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98
I am curious how the majority of players are aligned in game, I have always played chaotic good myself, so I usually tend to play rangers, fighters, and the odd thief kit but never a pure thief.

*Edited due to confusion :D* I dont play mages very well sorry.
  1. Good, Neutral or Evil, What are you?153 votes
    1. Good
      51.63%
    2. Neutral
      29.41%
    3. Evil
      18.95%
Post edited by hammernanvil on

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Evil all the way.

I always imagine my bard's voice carrying on the wind over the hills, causing villagers to stare at one another in alarm and then flee for their lives.
  • ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    Without the darkness, there can be no light. Without the light, there is nothing to cast the shadow of darkness.
  • kajeliskajelis Member Posts: 8
    I mostly play good characters, currently I'm running a neutral evil fighter/thief. But I have an undead hunter waiting for the next run.
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    Chaotic Good. Good men don't need rules and today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    Chaotic neutral. Lets me not be good, and not be evil :D
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I mostly play Chaotic Good. I find it to be the most adventurery of the good alignments seeing as they loot people's houses just as soon as helping them. There's also a fair bit of murdering and though it may mostly be justifiable it's enough to not be considered "lawful" I think. Neutral Good I've just never really understood based on the description in any of the games.

For Neutral I like Lawful/Chaotic Neutral; blindly law-abiding, promise-keeping helpful person or truly individualistic adventurer with no particular agenda.

Lawful/Neutral Evil if I make an evil character, usually the latter. Methodical clever evildoer working the system or just someone who's self-serving and don't care particularily much about anyone or anything. Chaotic Evil just seems a bit too counter-productive for everyone involved so I never go that route.
  • hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98
    Well I found out first hand today how annoying it could be, being evil, I was doing Dorns questline to get the elven chain for my ranger, had a reputation of 19 and it went up to 20 and the bastard left me, I had to get neera who is neutral to kill someone(wild mages.... their schitzo..) just so I could recruit him again to finish the quest..
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I wasn't sure if you meant what we think our personal alignments are, or simply what alignments we usually play as. I voted assuming it was the former.

I think of myself as being neutral not because I have a desire to maintain balance, but because I tend to be apathetic. That being said, my actions (when I actually act on something), as well as the characters I play, tend to be good, probably because I'm a big softy.
    edited January 2013
    I think everyone.. even RPers, choose characters that represent themselves or how they wish to be in some form or another. I for one, chose alignment based on how I feel personally. Now, everyones perception of right and wrong differs, but at least 85% of people can agree on whats good and evil, I hope.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited January 2013
    @TJ_Hooker
    I share your confusion. The first sentences imply real-life alignment, the next seems to meant in-game. I'd like to think I'm mostly chaotic good in real-life. But I think it's more complicated than that in reality. What's my alignment then if as much as possible I follow the rules (almost all the time, if not all the time)? Does that make me lawful? But there are times that I go against it because it's the right thing to do...that makes me chaotic, right? I'm at extremes in chaotic and in lawful, what does that make me? I don't think it's a black and white in real-life alignment.

In game, I also almost always play chaotic good. I don't remember the alignment I picked when I tried an assassin, but I'm certain it isn't evil.
    Illustair said:

@TJ_Hooker
    I share your confusion. The first sentences imply real-life alignment, the next seems to meant in-game. I'd like to think I'm mostly chaotic good in real-life. But I think it's more complicated than that in reality. What's my alignment then if as much as possible I follow the rules (almost all the time, if not all the time)? Does that make me lawful? But there are times that I go against it because it's the right thing to do...that makes me chaotic, right? I don't think it's a black and white in real-life alignment.

In game, I also almost always play chaotic good. I don't remember the alignment I picked when I tried an assassin, but I'm certain it isn't evil.

I set out to ask the question referring to in game, but I still think, players choose characters that somewhat represents their moral compass, do you not agree? I think real life is more black and white than D&D alignments............

I see someone has never studied philosophy...
    @ScytheKnight
    I sometimes skip classes in my early years if you're talking about me.;p
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I'm not sure if we're supposed to be voting our character or ourselves, but for me the answer is the same. I'm a good person IRL (Neutral or Chaotic Good, depending on the day), and I usually play good characters in BG and other games.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Usually evil, with a preference for clerics, thieves and recently jesters.
  • KennisKennis Member Posts: 124
    Neutral Evil. Best PnP Alignment, not too bad in BGEE. Currently a NE swashbuckler so I could drop Imoen in Nashkel. Current party is Dorn, Kagain, Viconia, Edwin, Baeloth. Awesomesauce.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    BG is one of the few games where you can get away with being "Smart Evil" - less rewards but better NPCs. :)
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,329
    I just can never have fun being a total jerk.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Neutral Good archer atm.
    @Kennis
    That looks awesome indeed. Man, sure sucks being a pussy to not try evil alignment.:D
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    mostly good
    but I mix it up a little
    only play neutraL when I play as a druid
    it comesout about to
    60 percent as a good character
    30 percent as a evil character
    10 percent as a neutral character
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2013
    I wish evil party members wouldn't leave at high rep. I would play with evil chqracters more if so. It seems so silly to me that an evil person wouldn't hide behind a high rep so they could get discounts and not be hunted.
    @ReadingRambo *facepalms*
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Umm, what would be the point of alignments if evil NPCs acted exactly like good and neutral ones? If anything, the thresholds should be more defined, i.e. have neutral folks leave if you move too far from middle ground, and have evil leave at 16 rep. It's already a stretch to say evil NPCs would be ok with all the good you do to stay at 18. Even if they are sociopaths with good PR, they'd still be proud of their evil deeds and wouldn't want to cover them up. I never let my rep get over 14 as evil, that's acceptable as "good PR, but still far from everybody's darling/hero". Average rep through the game is more 10, because it's hard to stay lower for extended periods of time with all the +1 rep sidequests.
  • DerDuKeDerDuKe Member Posts: 88
    This particular run I play a chaotic evil mage (in my first run NPC was a lawful good Paladin). I try to retain low PR (~ 5), do as much quests as possible (even the "good" ones) and kill clients after having finished the quest from time to time... HAHAHAHAHAHA! The only reason to fight Sarevok is to get rid of this Bhaal unworthy dude!

(Next run I will play good again, can't stand my own cruelness any longer :D)
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Example: a greedy halfling joins up with a goody goody who proceeds to save a princess. He grumbles to himself that they should have black mailed and held her for ransom. He contemplates leaving until they get back to town and the merchant says "wow! You are with Goody Two-Shoes!? I'll buy that pearl necklace and long sword +1 for quadruple the normal price!!!" The halfling realizes not only did he get very rich from following goody two shoes, but the local marshal isn't hunting him for kidnapping. It's much safer and profitable to follow this guy around. He is still, however, a greedy son of a troll.

Now; in above example how does the evil halfling leaving make any sense? Leaving wouldn't be acting evil, it would be acting chaotic stupid.
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252

I wish evil party members wouldn't leave at high rep. I would play with evil chqracters more if so. It seems so silly to me that an evil person wouldn't hide behind a high rep so they could get discounts and not be hunted.

Hopefully when BG3 rolls around we get something like the Virtue mod baseline. Reputation is how the world sees you, Virtue is how the party/yourself sees the real you. So you can have that villain (low virtue) with excellent PR (Rep 19-20) that makes complete sense.

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    As everyone should know, evil will always win because good is dumb. But there's one alignemt which is even better than Evil - and that is Batsit Insane: the perfect fusion of Chaotic Neutral and Chaotic Evil. Indeed, every playthrough with an Batshit Insane characters feels so good that you forget that other alignments still exist.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited January 2013

Example: a greedy halfling joins up with a goody goody who proceeds to save a princess. He grumbles to himself that they should have black mailed and held her for ransom. He contemplates leaving until they get back to town and the merchant says "wow! You are with Goody Two-Shoes!? I'll buy that pearl necklace and long sword +1 for quadruple the normal price!!!" The halfling realizes not only did he get very rich from following goody two shoes, but the local marshal isn't hunting him for kidnapping. It's much safer and profitable to follow this guy around. He is still, however, a greedy son of a troll.

Certainly 'evil' characters wouldn't really all want to live in the same house together; they'd never get any rest. Take Viconia; she's bright enough to see that Korgan or Edwin are never going to stick their necks out for her, unless there's some personal gain for them as well. And if some slave trader makes an offer for her, they'd likely sell her out. Whereas good guys, maybe not Keldorn so much, but others like Aerie or Mazzy so long as they're comrades, will defend her and come to her aid, regardless of the fact that they personally despise her.

Post edited by Coutelier on