Skip to content

Party to have fun with banter

I'm a first time player in BG-1, my multi thief/mage just got to Beregost and there are already 8 NPC who ever wanted to get into the party. Still they seem to be more like long line of NPC in Oblivion who were ready to marry me, than to characters with properly written script.

Will they have more story-related banter in later chapters? The only NPC I remember for now is Xzar and I'm going to return to Friendly Arm's and get him back. And Jaheira got French accent... But it's neither interesting nor funny. Please, share your thoughts :)

Comments

• MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    What's funny is I have played with mods for so long (Including the awesome BG1 NPC Project), that I forgot just how quiet and bland the games NPC's really were when compared to how well they made them in BG2 (and the BG1NPC). I think the only real personalities they show in BG1 are when you have conflicting NPCs (Like Khalid/Jaheira vs Montaron/Xzar, or Minsc vs Edwin, stuff like that).
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited January 2013
    There are some interactions between certain NPCs but they are far and few between.

Unlike BG2, in BG1 there are no romances. But with the BG:EE's three new NPCs (Rasaad, Neera, and Dorn) you're going to see more conversation than with the original 25.

If you don't mind being spoiled a little we can tell you which NPCs you *might* see some interactions between...
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    did a writeup in another thread about this, here it goes:

Monty and Xzar have quite the number of lines (mostly batshit insane), and they have a few unique interactions with outside NPCs (chapter 7, a guy near iron throne, or the other mages in sorcerous sundries).

also, if placed in a party with Jaheira and Khalid, they'll dispose of the meddling harper fools. :D

Coran and Safana also banter a lot, mostly Coran hitting on Safana (okay, he hits on everyone, but these banters are unique to them) and getting shot down. he also has his very own quest in Baldur's Gate.

surprising, there is actually a lot of chit-chat in BG1 too, you just have to pair the right people together to get some unique dialogues. off the top of my head:
    - Xan makes fun of Ajantis (good boy)
    - Alora tries to cheer up Edwin (and does!)
    - Eldoth has half the world rotating around him: Shar-Teel despises and insults, Skie adores, and Garrick wants to steal his girlfriend off him, not sure if all unique or just some of their banters
    - Yeslick and Kagain despise each other
    - ...and of course the two harper fools chat amongst themselves, iirc Jaheira also hates Faldorn

there may be more, but the Xzar-Monty and Coran-Safana pairs definitely produce the most interesting ones.

also, the new NPCs talk. a lot. good thing in case of Neera, though I still feel like shoving a... well, a shovel down Rasaad's throat whenever he opens his mouth. (his stay in my party was shortlived at best)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Banter is way more fun in BG2. Especially once you get the ToB banters. I wish I remembered some of those better so I could repeat them. I recall having the most fun with banters involving Minsc and Jan.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MerryMerry Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2013
    Lemernis said:

If you don't mind being spoiled a little we can tell you which NPCs you *might* see some interactions between...

Don't mind at all!

DinsdalePiranha, thank you.
    Mordeus said:

4. Shar-Teel (She will eventually fight Eldoth to the death.)

Hm, this one is not exactly funny. The dead person is up to the dice?
    You didn't include Edwin in the final list, does he have less interactions than others?
    Tresset said:

Banter is way more fun in BG2. Especially once you get the ToB banters. I wish I remembered some of those better so I could repeat them. I recall having the most fun with banters involving Minsc and Jan.

I'm going to get to BG2 after finishing BG1, but I'm a very slow player, so they might make BG2:EE before I get to it. I wish BG series was around when I was a kid and had way more time for it.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Eldoth also flirts with Branwen, who, for some reason, finds it nice.
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    @Merry: Here are the banter details for Edwin:

May fight to the death against Dynaheir only if Minsc is present
    May fight to the death against Ajantis

10 Unique Banters towards Alora
    3 Unique Banters towards Minsc and Dynaheir
    2 Unique Banters towards Ajantis.
    2 Unique Banters towards Dynaheir
    2 Unique Banter towards Dynaheir and Alora
    1 Unique Death Quote towards Dynaheir

3 Insults towards Minsc, Yeslick, Ajantis, Khalid & Eldoth

Received insults from Minsc2, Yeslick1, Khalid1, Jaheira2, Garrick1, Safana1, Branwen2, Xan2, Eldoth2 & Kagain2
    Received special comments from Xzar3 & Viconia1

Replies to insults with 1 Response
    Replies to compliments with 1 Response

---

So if you want an Edwin centric party then choose Dynaheir (without Minsc or else they will fight) and Alora. The other two slots could be anyone. Just don't pick Minsc or Ajantis otherwise Edwin will fight to the death.

As for Shar-Teel, the funny thing is she is a misandrist and he is a misogynist, so a fight to the death is actually quite entertaining since both are such horrible people. Anyways, when NPCs do fight to the death you can always reload and hope they don't do that or download a mod that removes all NPC duels. The winner of a death duel is really the stronger character, so it's not really a throw of the dice.

Here are the following combinations of NPCs that will fight to the death:

Ajantis vs Tiax
    Ajantis vs Eldoth
    Ajantis vs Kagain
    Ajantis vs Montaron
    Ajantis vs Xzar
    Ajantis vs Shar-Teel
    Ajantis vs Edwin
    Branwen & Tiax
    Quayle vs Tiax
    Dynaheir & Edwin (only if Minsc is present)
    Minsc vs Edwin
    Eldoth & Shar-Teel
    Jaheira & Xzar
    Khalid vs Montaron
    Khalid vs Xzar
    Kivan vs Viconia
    Kagain & Yeslick

So if you don't want to lose an NPC, don't have a party with any of these combinations.
  • MerryMerry Member Posts: 9
    Mordeus said:

What a bunch of lovely people! I do look forward to seeing it

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @Mordeus - thanks for linking the previous thread, I was looking for exactly that the other day.
    @Mordeus: +10 insightfuls for you, sir. no, really. that banter thread is awesomeness^2.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited January 2013
    I actually very much need a kind of definitive and comprehensive list of all NPC <-> NPC bantering for a project I have going. Just who interacts with whom, mainly. So thanks for these two threads. I''m going to list the other NPCs with whom each NPC has interaction of some kind on the individual pages I've made for them here.

The Dan Simpson BG1 walkthrough lists the lines that the NPCs speak and Dan has identified in some cases who the lines are directed at, but for many of them he doesn't know. I have that recreated that document here, and if anyone can help me fill in the gaps that would be awesome!

Edit: Okay, I'm sifting through Mordeus' excellent thread and it will take some time, but I would expect who all speaks to whom can be gleaned from that thread.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
    @Lemeris: I'm pretty sure insults can go out to multiple NPCs, iirc I've heard Edwin saying his "Watch your words when addressing me lest they be fed to you on the end of my boot." to both Safana's "My feet are very sore, perhaps you couldmassage them?" and Yeslick's "Your ego is positively elven. Drop it a notch, lest I do it for you!" comments.
    @Lemernis I'm going to get to making a proper txt guide in the coming week. So don't worry about compiling everything. The thread I made was based on the Vanilla 2da files which were riddled with inaccuracies and faulty banters. I have't checked the EE files but they should be more accurate.

@DinsdalePiranha You're right about insults.

Banters in BG1 are broken down into the following three categories; General, Unique and Environmental Banters.

General Banters are throw away comments by an NPC to another NPC, sometimes triggering off a counter reply from the complimented/insulted NPC. But every NPC has their preferred NPC to insult and compliment, if you don't have the right pairing you'll receive no banters at all.

Each banter is marked as either an Compliment, Insult or Special. And the replies are either Compliment or Insult specific. Certain characters like Xzar are special cases, where they will speak aloud to every NPC in the game, so they will banter with everyone.

If you have a party of NPCs that are all compatible with each other then the banter will be triggered at a random target. For example a party of Branwen, Shar-Teel, Kivan, Minsc and Ajantis, will have Branwen praising one of them with her only compliment line despite it being compatible with all of them.

Unique Banters are a set of dialogue trees with multiple paths directed at one or two NPCs. Sometimes the banter will be triggered all the way, other times it will be cut off prematurely. There are variations of the same banter depending on which NPCs are around. For example Edwin will have around three variations of the same taunt, one directed to both Minsc and Dynaheir, one directed to Minsc if Dynaheir isn't around and one directed to Dynaheir if Minsc isn't around.

The last kind of banter is based on the environment. If a character walks into a map that is either a night, day, forest, city or dungeon setting they will say a line of dialogue. But certain characters like Coran have have no environmental banters.

There is another kind of banter which is connected to the selection menu. The line of dialogue a character has is dependant on if they are the leader of the group or the randomly generated comment at being clicked. There are a set of common responses and then there are a set of rare responses. Every NPC has around the same amount of selection banters, so it's not really worth mentioning.

I must warn about Imoen. She has by far the worst number of banters. In fact she banters with no-one in Vanilla Baldur's Gate. I don't know if that was changed in EE however, since alot of her dialogue files were glitched. There was at least one banter she had with Eldoth but it never triggered in Vanila BG. But if you count up all her sound files she has around half the number of the average NPC.
    @Mordeus: Imoen is silent because she was a last minute NPC (like in BG2), iirc they just used a guard soundset to throw her together. I don't think EE gives her any new banters, they weren't allowed to "rewrite" NPCs, only add new banters to new situations, along to lines of Viconia's interjections when you recruit Rasaad.
    @DinsdalePiranha

I just started work on the EE Banter FAQ and it does look like Imoen wasn't touched. It's a pity that they really can't touch the old NPCs because there are some forgotten sound files of hers that could be used.

It's interesting that in the case of IMOEN20 and IMOEN22 the original developers just split those lines into selection banters.

IMOEN01 - "Please sirs I'm sorry for what I've done but a girl has got to eat you know?
    IMOEN20 - "I told you that it twas Eldoth that had done the deeds, I nothing more so leave me to go"
    IMOEN22 - "Good on you if you save the day, I don't care for I am gone"
    IMOEN23 - "Good to see you round dix again" (I can't make out the last three words so I'm estimating)

I wonder what the original intent of these banters were, especially Imoen's connection with Eldoth. Sounds like Imoen got framed by him.

It's going to take me probably two or weeks to get this banter guide finished. It's a little more complicated than I expected. Especially with the complexity of Neera, Dorn and Rasaad. Actually make that a month, there are over one hundred lines to sift through :S
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Mordeus said:

Ajantis vs Tiax
    Ajantis vs Eldoth
    Ajantis vs Kagain
    Ajantis vs Montaron
    Ajantis vs Xzar
    Ajantis vs Shar-Teel
    Ajantis vs Edwin

Heh. It's kinda funny Ajantis gets into fights with all these people, but lets the evil Drow be.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @scriver Would you mess with Viconia? She's liable to bludgeon you to death in your sleep if you're a geniune threat.

Admittedly that's a part of her character - she will do what is necessary to survive but doesn't revel in evil. Still...
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited January 2013
    Looks like there is already a lot of information. i will add (in case it got missed, which I doubt) that the banter in BG2 is more robust. Some of the interactions in BG2 are quite humorous and they definitely happen more often.

My personal favorites (for BG2) are Minsc and a gnome thief named Jan Jensen. These two play off each other brilliantly and can be quite amusing. Jan himself is hilarious and with most other companions he has something entertaining to say, but I think he is funniest with Minsc (personal opinion).

I also highly recommend putting Viconia and Firecam in the same party (though not a no-reload game). They can be extremely fiery in their exchanges and will usually come to blows. But it is a fun ride while you are going.

But yeah, BG2 did a much better job of adding that in than BG1 did.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Can anyone give some insight into how the Charname's charisma impacts the likelihood that companions will come to blows? I normally have PCs with high charisma's but am thinking I may drop down to whatever level I need to in order to see Xzar/Monty v. Khalid/Jaheira, etc. but I also don't necessarily want to carry all of these NPC's in my party all game. Any thoughts on provoking conflict or on thresholds for charisma that inhibit or promote such conflict?
  • @ahf If you're not above using the cheat keys, there's a key combination that forces a party interaction. I used it to provoke a fight between K/J and X/M in an evil playthrough because I wanted Montaron, didn't want Xzar, and thought it would be more interesting than shoving Xzar in a closet somewhere. Naturally, I had them arranged and equipped to achieve this goal, although Montaron's weapon broke when fighting Jaheira, so I had to help him finish her off...
    Kaigen said:

@ahf If you're not above using the cheat keys, there's a key combination that forces a party interaction. I used it to provoke a fight between K/J and X/M in an evil playthrough because I wanted Montaron, didn't want Xzar, and thought it would be more interesting than shoving Xzar in a closet somewhere. Naturally, I had them arranged and equipped to achieve this goal, although Montaron's weapon broke when fighting Jaheira, so I had to help him finish her off...

@Kaigen - I would definitely be interested in knowing that combo!

@AHF: CTRL+I. some say press and hold CTRL+U while pressing I, but that's unnecessary, CTRL+I forces interactions.

@AHF: CTRL+I. some say press and hold CTRL+U while pressing I, but that's unnecessary, CTRL+I forces interactions.

@DinsdalePiranha & @Kaigen - Thanks!
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Hoping not to derail the thread - I'm trying hard to get Jaheira and Khalid to take on Xzar and Montaron; in fact, I only brought the evildoers in to see the battle. Popcorn is optional...

So, what do I do? I'm at reputation 18, so they're about to split anyway. I want to see them get destroyed by goodness!
  • @reedmilfam CTRL+I with the cheat keys enabled worked for me, though you might have to cycle through a few exchanges first.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited January 2013
    Mordeus said:

Kivan vs Viconia

More like start spontaneously making out to the death.
  • CronatosCronatos Member Posts: 44
    I found this resource on party conflicts:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/bg_npc_conflicts.php
    Not entirely sure how accurate it is, especially now with BG:EE.
    I had also heard that Xan interacts with the Viconia/Kivan squabble, though I don't know if he does.
  • cyberarmycyberarmy Member Posts: 128
    - Alora tries to cheer up Edwin (and does!)

Heh this cheers me up too! Very suprised when i heard their banter first time.
    A "Raistlin&Bupu" cameo/easter egg i assumed back then.