Skip to content

If you can pick priest and druid spells like a sorcerer, which spells will you pick?

You are limited to 5 spells per spell level.

Comments

• ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    1st level - cure light wounds, command, sanctuary, remove fear, and that's all I can think of right now lol
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited January 2013
    For a cleric:
    1st level - Doom, Remove Fear, Cure Light Wounds, Armor of Faith, Command
    2nd level - Chant, DUHM, Hold Person, Silence, Slow Poison
    3rd level - Remove Paralysis, Dispel Magic, Animate Dead, Holy Smite/Unholy Blight, Invisibility Purge
    4h level - Protection From Evil 10' Radius, Defensive Harmony, Cure Serious Wounds, Call Woodland Beings, Poison, Mental Domination
    5th level - Flame Strike, True Seeing, Righteous Magic, Cure Critical Wounds, Greater Command
    6th level - Heal, Dolorous Decay, Wondrous Recall, Conjure Fire Elemental, Harm, Sol's Searing Orb, Aerial Servant
    7th level - Finger of Death, Symbol: Stun, Holy/Unholy Word, Gate, Fire Storm

It's been a while since I've played BG2, so I'm not really sure about some of the high level ones.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    On that note, I'd love it if they added the Favored Soul and Spirit Shaman classes.

@TJ_Hooker, you wouldn't take Aid? I find save-or-nothing spells like Hold Person and Silence 15' to be useless in BG2/TOB. Stupid broken 2nd Edition save system.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,748
    edited January 2013
    BLESS
    CURE LIGHT WOUNDS
    DOOM
    PROTECTION FROM EVIL
    REMOVE FEAR

BARKSKIN
    AID
    CHANT
    DRAW UPON HOLY MIGHT
    RESIST FIRE/RESIST COLD
    SLOW POISON

CALL LIGHTNING
    ANIMATE DEAD
    DISPEL MAGIC
    HOLY SMITE
    SUMMON INSECTS (if available)

CALL WOODLAND BEINGS (if available)
    DEFENSIVE HARMONY
    HOLY POWER
    MENTAL DOMINATION
    PROTECTION FROM EVIL, 10' RADIUS

CHAMPION'S STRENGTH
    FLAME STRIKE
    GREATER COMMAND
    INSECT PLAGUE (if available)
    IRON SKINS (if available)
    PIXIE DUST (if available)
    RAISE DEAD (if available)
    RIGHTEOUS MAGIC
    TRUE SEEING
    edited January 2013
    @PugPug is Aid good? I can't remember using it even once throughout all my playthroughs of the Infinity Engine games. I alway thought it seemed pretty useless as it only gives an average of 4.5 HP, and besides that is just a Bless that only affects one party member.
    Edit: looks like I misread Bless's effects. It only provides +1 to saves vs fear effects, so there is a more of a difference between Aid and Bless than I realized.

But yeah I know what you mean about save-or-nothing spells. Hold would probably get useless pretty fast, but silence may have a little more staying power due to its massive -5 penalty to save.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    @TJ_Hooker
    You have a few druid spells in your list

Cleric
    1. Sanctuary, Remove Fear, CLW, Armor of Faith, Doom
    2. DUHM, Chant, Hold Person, Slow Poison, Resist fire/cold (if it still stacks with itself)
    3. Animate Dead, CMW, Dispel Magic, Glyph of Warding, Holy Smite
    4. Prot From Evil 10', CSW, NPP, Lesser Restoration, Death Ward (if f/c) or Holy Power (if not)
    5. True Seeing, Flame Strike, Righteous Magic, Mass Cure, Chaotic Commands
    6. Wondrous Recall, Heal, Aerial Servant, Blade Barrier, Bolt of Glory
    7. Resurrection, Gate, Greater Restoration (AoE in ToB, right?), Firestorm, Symbol: Stun

@TJ_Hooker

Ah, yeah I was looking at the list on Gamebanshee, which lists all the priest spells together. I tried to seperate them by memory, but looks like I missed a few. I don't know how I missed call woodland beings though, it doesn't get more druidy than that.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,748
    Aid is a good spell, it can help you in fights and it adds to the bonus from Bless and Chant.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    TJ_Hooker said:

@TJ_Hooker

Ah, yeah I was looking at the list on Gamebanshee, which lists all the priest spells together. I tried to seperate them by memory, but looks like I missed a few. I don't know how I missed call woodland beings though, it doesn't get more druidy than that.
    I know what you mean. It took me forever to put together my list since I had to keep checking to see which were druid only.

Fire Elemental, Dolorous Decay, and as you pointed out, Woodland Beings are druidic. The rest are ok, I think.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    It would vary greatly depending on party configuration/solo, PC's attributes and general playstyle, and also on whether the sequel should be taken into account, but as a general BG:EE Cleric:

- Command
    - Cure Light Wounds (although potions can cover)
    - Doom
    - Remove Fear
    - Sanctuary

- DUHM
    - Chant
    - Hold Person
    - Silence
    the last spot is difficult, either -Aid or -Find Traps

- Animate Dead
    - Dispel Magic
    - Holy Smite
    - Protection from Fire (although potions/scrolls can cover)
    - Strength of One

- Defensive Harmony
    - Free Action
    - Holy Power
    - Protection from Evil 10' Radius
    - Protection from Lightning (although potions/scrolls can cover)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    1st-Cure light wounds, Doom, Command, Remove fear, Armor of faith
    Sanctuary is more luxury. These five spells are the essentials.

2nd-Hold Person, Silence, DUHM, plus two any (slow poison, find traps or aid)
    Hold person and Silence are bread and butter of clerical disable spells, DUHM grants nice bonuses at high levels. Aid has very little duration to be effective at low levels, and at high levels it does so little contribution. Slow poison is a life saver at low levels when neutralise poison is not available.

3rd-Animate Dead, Holy Smite, Dispel Magic, Remove paralysis, plus one any
    Animate dead is the best summon, Holy Smite is safe area damage, Dispel magic and Remove paralysis are very useful to have when you need them.

4th-PfME 10' radius, Neutralise Poison, Free Action, Death Ward, Lesser Restoration
    Neutralise poison is very nice as it has instant casting, cure poison+blindness, deafness, disease+10 hp. PfME 10' is a must before demon summoning. Free Action+Death Ward protects against so many nastiness. Lesser restoration is needed in BG2 a lot.

5th-Most difficult level. Raise Dead, Chaotic Commands, Greater Command OR True Sight OR Flame Strike, Mass Cure.
    Righteous magic is good too, if you are melee oriented. Raise Dead is the sole reason Clerics>Druids, but you can ditch it safely since you can carry scrolls/wand of resurection or just visit temples. Chaotic Commands is among the best buff spells in the game, if not the best. Flame Strike deals massive fire damage in higher levels. Mass cure is nice to have in battle. Then again, True Sight is one of the essentials in BG2.

6th-Aerial Servant, Heal, Harm, plus any two
    Aerial Servant packs surprisingly high damage output for a summon. Heal/Harm is very potent.

7th-Greater Restoration, Fire Storm, Shield of Archons, Finger of Death, Symbol:Stun
    Greater Restoration has area effect instant full heal. Fire Storm ignores magic resistance and fries those pesky drow quite well. Shield of Archons is the only spell protection available to clerics. FoD is a nasty killer spell, and cleric version packs even a bigger punch when compared to mage. (much more damage on high levels on a succesful save) Symbol:Stun is surprisingly effective when used right.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    For some who only posted cleric spells: my intention was to mix both cleric and druid spells together. Pick the best 5 out of both classes.

Is it op to mix spells from 2 classes together (compared with the sorcerer, cleric/ranger, single class cleric or single class druid)? Since the cleric/ranger already has access to divine spells from both classes, I dont see why not as long as there are also balanced disadvantages.
    TJ_Hooker said:

But yeah I know what you mean about save-or-nothing spells. Hold would probably get useless pretty fast, but silence may have a little more staying power due to its massive -5 penalty to save.

Oh, I forgot about the save penalty. That's workable with Doom and Greater Malison, sure. Though druids get that insect swarm-type spell that disrupts spellcasting with no save, don't they? Still, that's a higher and much more valuable spell slot.
    bbear said:

Is it op to mix spells from 2 classes together (compared with the sorcerer, cleric/ranger, single class cleric or single class druid)? Since the cleric/ranger already has access to divine spells from both classes, I dont see why not as long as there are also balanced disadvantages.

I don't think it would be OP at all, but I think whether it is appropriate could be debatable. Even if it bends the rules, the Ranger/Cleric makes sense because the Ranger taps in to nature and means the character worships a nature-oriented diety, while the Cleric makes the character a more powerful divine caster.

The Favored Soul and Spirit Shaman classes from 3e (at least they are in Neverwinter Nights 2) are decidedly temple-oriented and nature-oriented, respectively. A new class would have to be designed that is somehow both themes without being a multiclass. And that's hard to do. Maybe some sort of missionary that spreads temple magic to the wilds or nature magic to the cities.
    edited January 2013
    PugPug said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Oh, I forgot about the save penalty. That's workable with Doom and Greater Malison, sure. Though druids get that insect swarm-type spell that disrupts spellcasting with no save, don't they? Still, that's a higher and much more valuable spell slot.
    Oh yeah, if I had been considering druid spells, I would have definately included insect swarm. Like I said, it's been a while since I played BG2, but from what I remember insect swarm and its variants were some of my favourite, and most used, priest spells in the game.
    bbear said:

For some who only posted cleric spells: my intention was to mix both cleric and druid spells together. Pick the best 5 out of both classes.

I limited myself to cleric spells more to simplify my options than anything.
    I'm surprised I haven't seen False Dawn or Sunray in this thread.

I don't think I'll be taking the time to come up with a list of my own; just saying.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    My divine spell picks: (from http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/Main.htm and http://baldursgatehaven.net/index.php?topic=12.0)

Lv1: Armor of Faith, Doom, Sanctuary, Remove Fear, Cure Light Wounds
    Lv2: DUHM, Aid, Chant, Hold Person, Flame Blade
    Lv3: Animate Dead, Holy Smite, Dispel Magic, Glyph of Warding, Protection from Fire
    Lv4: Protection from Evil 10, Call Woodland Beings, Death Ward, Defensive Harmony, Free Action
    Lv5: Chaotic Commands, Iron Skins, Insect Plague, True Seeing, Righteous Magic
    Lv6: Aerial Servant, Heal, Harm, Fire Elemental, and something else
    Lv7: Creeping Doom, Greater Restoration, Nature's Beauty, Fire Storm, Shields of Archons
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    Draw Upon Holy Hight, Righteous Magic, Iron Skins, Insect Plague.